3500+ Winchester vs 3500+ Venice

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Both are 90nm SOI, exact same specs from what I gather on AMD's quick reference guide. Except the Venice runs at a variable voltage (max temp of 65C) where the Winchester needs 1.40V (max temp of 70C).

What exactly are the advantages of the Venice core over the Winchester?

Better memory controller (SSE3) to run 2GB, should run at lower temps when overclocked. This anwer will be expanded bu others.

Monarch has both at about the same price - no argument there.. Go Vinnie :D

actually, winchester is rated for 65c, and the revE cores appear to be 71c

basic changes, as don pointed out:
stronger memory controller, can now do 4x512mb at 200mhz instead of dropping to 166mhz.
sse3
some general tweaks for slightly improved performance

also, a cool form of strained silicon called DSL (dual stress liners) has been put in it, should allow for better clock speeds ;)

From initial preview Venice should give you a much better OC than a Winnie can give you, especially with the latest batch of Winnies. That and what everyone else mentioned. If your choice is between a Winnie and a Venice, I would wait for the Venice.

Makes me kind of mad because I couldn't wait and ended up ordering a 3500 Clawhammer last Friday, and the day Newegg has the Venice in stock I get my Clawhammer :mad:. I'm guessing if you guys had a pair of 6800GTs and a DFI board sitting on your desk for almost 3 weeks you would have lost your patience too. What makes me madder is the PCP&C SLI PSUs are out of stock so I have to wait now anyway. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well enough of my rambling. Venice's are available now at 3500+ and will be out next week at 3200+ and 3000+ speeds. I'm going to play my Clawhammer out first and see if it can give me an acceptable OC, if not it's going on eBay and I'm getting a Venice.

I'm just kind of anxious to get out of this S754 form factor. I probably won't do it until the summer, but I'm just gathering information for the time being. I was thinking I could get a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (s939, AGP) so I could keep my BFG 6800GT AGP.

What are some other good boards that offer s939 support, and a AGP slot?

Yeppers. The Venice oc's much better. A lot of people are hitting 2.8 on air, and around 3.2-4 on phase. The 3500 winchester is a poor overclocker, as is the 3500 nc.

Yes, but let's not forget the 3500+ claw is a half-cached FX-55 in most instances, so they get some pretty serious clocks too. ;) Just doesn't have SSE3 or the sex appeal of Venice.

it confuses people when noobs come to the forum and are leanring then are like wtf is a vinny.

Filter said:
it confuses people when noobs come to the forum and are leanring then are like wtf is a vinny.

not that it confuses people....that we had a poll and the majority of the people decided that vinnie just sounded plain stupid, and any nicknames for that matter. Venice is sweet and sexy, leave her alone damnit!

It does not confuse people. It is just like saying a Winnie in place of Winchster.
I mean atleast winnie sounds sorta normal for winchester...vinny for venice does not come close, and is just stupid. It is not something that is going to catch on...just some kids dorky ass thinking. ;)

Back