360 - DIVX confirmed with fall update

That's just one part of the fall update. I had started a thread listing the other features we can expect to see. December 4th is the day of the update, for those who don't know.

This is the only thing I've really wanted in the Fall update. I'm tied of transcoding and having the thing crap out...especially when there is an audience in my living room.

Streaming .avi would be so damned sweet. I'm tired of encoding media to a .wmv.

im reading you cant watch divx in mce on the 360 but have to use wmp11 through my video tab. So that kinda sucks if true. Ill still want to use tversity then but i was hoping to do it all from mce.

He needs to encode it to a format which the 360 will play.

H264/ASP (Divx etc) will be fully working up to 720p in the update.
H264/AVC will be working up to 1080p but only with 2channel sound

The only way to get 1080p is to encode in WMV. For me the media upgrades are a waste of time as a lot of my DVD collection has already been converted to AVC with 5.1channel sound

Speaking of the new update... still no 16:10 resolution support...
:mad:

I'm finally looking through the entire list, but it sucks to hear we still don't have that yet. However, one thing I do like, that I know a few people have talked about before (it's nothing major, but kind of annoying):

Added support to not write trial-version Arcade games to user's played games history (this is only for newly downloaded games after the Dec'07 update is released)

Too bad previous downloads aren't effected.

Untill the xbox360 can stream directly from a windows network share or samba (smb) on linux like XBMC then this is going to be useless.

This update basically means that you need a usb drive formatted in fat32 which is the only file structure the 360 will recognise - you'd think ntfs wouldn't be a problem for a microsoft device but for some reason it is.

So you would be limited to the capacity of your usb drive to utilize this.

Windows media player 11 is bloated beyond belief if the user has to launch that first to stream media you can count me out.

The xbox360 still will not support .mkv or .ogg or anyother worth while container. Sony announced the support of divx and microsoft just didn't want to be left behind.

Right now the ps3 running linux and XBMC will remain my only hope for streaming all my media content for now. The xbox 360 will only be used for mass effect and cod4.

The xbox360 still will not support .mkv or .ogg or anyother worth while container. Sony announced the support of divx and microsoft just didn't want to be left behind.

Right now the ps3 running linux and XBMC will remain my only hope for streaming all my media content for now. The xbox 360 will only be used for mass effect and cod4.
Umm... there was talk of the 360 getting divx before Sony made their announcement. That aside, what's wrong with using tversity to stream all your media when the next update comes? It wont be transcoding divx / xvid because it doesn't need to and you'll still be able to transcode mkv. Plus of course it can pull your files from a network share. Oh, and oddly the 360 recognises the mac file system which can support files larger than 4gb.

Not as good as using linux for the job, but for those of us that don't want to mess around with that sort of thing it's well on its way.

Umm... there was talk of the 360 getting divx before Sony made their announcement.
Talk? Among whom? As far as I know sony released the update that made divx video show up but unplayable then announed that they are working on making divx playback available then a few days later official word was released from microsoft. so if you have links that prove otherwise I'll be glad if I'm wrong I am wrong but I'm almost positive I am not.
That aside, what's wrong with using tversity to stream all your media when the next update comes? It wont be transcoding divx / xvid because it doesn't need to and you'll still be able to transcode mkv. Plus of course it can pull your files from a network share.

I never liked tversity because It isn't lossless. You say that there will be no need to encode on the fly since the 360 can process divx now but, I still have to launch the program. Is it possible to have it launch and ready on system boot? If so that is not perfect but an ok compromise for now I guess. samba or some other code that allows it to recognise windows network shares will save so much time and trouble. the files populate and you select them perfect fast efficient. I never understood the initial need for the xbox360 to only work with windows mce (forcing you to buy a new os just to stream your media) yes this was corrected but having to use windows media player 11 readily available with vista and bloated on windows xp is still a pain in the ass. Just my 2 cents.

How naive is the average consumer? Sony and Microsoft call these things media centers but they play very limited media formats. I have been spoiled for years by XBMC I think that is my problem. I just need an HD version of xbmc and I will be good to go.

Talk? Among whom? As far as I know sony released the update that made divx video show up but unplayable then announed that they are working on making divx playback available then a few days later official word was released from microsoft. so if you have links that prove otherwise I'll be glad if I'm wrong I am wrong but I'm almost positive I am not.
It's been discussed for a while over at NeoGAF for a while now with insiders letting one thing or another slip, no links though as if you ever go there you'll know why it's almost impossible to find things again after you've seen them the first time.

One way or another it's clear to me that this wasn't reactionary. They simply wouldn't have had the time to do the testing on it. Likelihood is that neither copied one another and they were simply both working on it at the same time.

Hehe, I asked Jay Allard about this in a Microsoft meeting in early 2005 and everybody in the room looked at me like I was crazy. I told them all my movies were in DivX format and until they did DivX the box would never be a centerpeice in my entertainment center. :D Glad to see this coming.

Divx is a welcome addition, but I wish they would have added the support through Media Center as well.

Back