360 Gamerscore

beanman101283

2[H]4U
So i noticed that Steve from the front page (gamertag of Hypothermia) is close to breaking 10,000 points for his gamerscore. He plays a lot of games. :p I was happy i broke 3000 today. While it's obviously not something of earthshaking importance, it's always fun to watch my score go up as i get achievements, though it sucks to get the achievements worth 0 points in DOA4. Anyone here broke 10000 points yet, or know someone who has?

By the way, it looks like this guy has the highest gamerscore in the world at the moment. :eek:

Quite a few people on my Friends List have Gamerscores over 10,000. Makes me feel lame by comparison. I *should* have a much higher gamerscore :p

I'm at 11424 right now. To be fair though, i've had my console since launch day.

It's weird...some games seem to rain points onto your account while others don't offer many at all.

K600 said:
It's weird...some games seem to rain points onto your account while others don't offer many at all.

I played through King Kong because i heard it was short, easy, and you got 1000 points after beating it. I thought the game was terrible, and i only rented it, but at least i got the points. Other games like Burnout Revenge take a lot of work to get the achievements, like getting a perfect rating in every event on each skill level. Some of those events are hard.. :eek:

most games that came out at release give you a crap load of points. the new games are really skimpy.

I have like 3,000 points because I don't waste my time trying to perform irrelevant bullshit tasks.

Here's me:
I've had the system since day #1, and most of mine are legit things I really "meant" to do, although a few are just things I did for points when it wasn't too inconvenient.

In terms of crazy gamer scores - I've seen people with 20,000+
I might be mistaken, but I think I've even seen a guy with 30K.
Considering how many games are out there, most offer at least 1000 points...he must have either a game store or a busy GameFly account.

...on a side note, anyone else mad they reset the SF2 Hyper Fighting Rankings this week? I was in the top 500 out of over 100,000 players. I'm not starting over, so I'm just playing player/quarter matches now :p

Playing games JUST to get meaningless points is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

I play games to have fun, but i'm impressed when i see somebody with the achievement for surviving a million points without dying in Geometry Wars. Some achievements aren't anything to brag about, but you have to be pretty good at a game to get some of the others. Sometimes it's not the gamerscore you have that's impressive, it's the achievement itself.

mdk30 said:
Playing games JUST to get meaningless points is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

you can imagine some ugly fat lonely no-friends geek out there who never leaves the house and by having 25,000 gp's he somehow feels "cool" so people can ohh and ahh at his score. for people like him it's not so meaningless.. for the rest of us that dont have those issues, we are content with our measly 2 or 5k scores :p

beanman101283 said:
I play games to have fun, but i'm impressed when i see somebody with the achievement for surviving a million points without dying in Geometry Wars. Some achievements aren't anything to brag about, but you have to be pretty good at a game to get some of the others. Sometimes it's not the gamerscore you have that's impressive, it's the achievement itself.

Yup, I feel the same way. Some of them are REALLY hard. For example, winning Street Fighter Hyper without losing a round. I've literally gotten to Bison with none lost on 3 occasions, but I just always seem to choke. I've only run into 1 person who's got that one.
Some of the Burnout ones are also insanely tough to get.
Some are totally stupid, but some are an honest bragging point.
For me - I'll get 'em if it's convenient, but I'm not going to waste much time just to get a bigger gamerscore.

For the most part, gamerscore is very e-peenish (yes, I have a low score) but I have very much enjoyed playing Dead Rising to get achievements. I'm about 20 game hours away from unlocking the mega man suit (have the buster and boots already and I know exactly where to go for the helmet.)

Well, I can see how some people think the Gamerscore is all about the e-penis and such but in most cases...it is supposed to be used exactly as intended...incentive to play / replay through games and earn rewards for difficult tasks.

Yes, there are some games that are rediculously easy to get points like:

Insert Game Disk: 50
Press Start Button: 50
Play Online Match: 50
Not Falling Asleep In Level One: 100

Then there are games like Burnout Revenge, Dead Or Alive 4 and PGR 3 that take a month of sundays to get everything done.

I noticed print magazines / websites taking pot shots at people with high Gamerscores and treating them like second class citizens because they like to rack up the points. That is about as childish as you can get, who really cares WHAT your readers do with their games once they've bought them? It is their hard earned money and Gamerscore points sure beats the hell out of the old system .....getting NOTHING for playing back through the game or unlocking an achievement. :D If you want to rub peanut butter all over your body and then stick games discs to yourself...I don't care...not sure why the gamers mags / website have to make fun of people for wanting a high Gamerscore.

As far as my Gamerscore, you have to take into account that we have 3 Xbox 360s running, so the time each game is played is split up between 3 consoles...or we'd have an uber-high score on one console. AND, I have 9819 out of a total possible of 34655. I have less than a 1/3 of the point I could have ;)

mdk30 said:

Well, to YOU it is...that is because it is meaningless to you...

...to other people it is added incentive to do thing you might not otherwise do or replay a game you didn't incentive to play through before.

Younger kids go absolutely apeshit over getting achievements. I can tell you right now that kids between 12 and 16 will come running into the next room yelling about unlocking a particularly difficult achievement. My son is almost 12, my daughter is almost 18, 99.95% of the kids they know really dig on getting achievements / higher Gamerscore.

I personally enjoy playing games to get gamerscores. Granted, my gamerscore isn't that high, but because of gamerscores I will play games I wouldn't normally play. I rented Madden 06 just to get the Gamerscore points, and I'm not even remotely a sports fan. I still enjoyed playing the game though, even if it was just to unlock the achievements.

Not only that, you just played a game you normally wouldn't have played...Gamerscore points have broadened your horizons :)

Steve said:
I have less than a 1/3 of the point I could have ;)

Lazy... Get crackin! :p

Jason Isom said:
I personally enjoy playing games to get gamerscores. Granted, my gamerscore isn't that high, but because of gamerscores I will play games I wouldn't normally play. I rented Madden 06 just to get the Gamerscore points, and I'm not even remotely a sports fan. I still enjoyed playing the game though, even if it was just to unlock the achievements.

I haven't gotten to that point yet. I've never liked sports games so i don't think i'll be trying Madden out, even for achievement points. I'm not going to deliberately put myself through a crappy game or one i'm reasonably sure i won't like (even if it's good quality) just for the points.

I play too much .... I don't really care about my total GS, but I love getting achievements.

I like them, though my score is still <1000. My Nephew tries his hardest to beat my score so I have to keep it just above his to frustrate him. I do play games a little longer to get a few extra points as well. It's a reason to replay a game once beaten for me.

Edit: Didn't know I could do this...

I'm at 3135 out of 16200 possible. Like I said, mine *should* be a lot higher ;)

Steve said:
Well, to YOU it is...that is because it is meaningless to you...

...to other people it is added incentive to do thing you might not otherwise do or replay a game you didn't incentive to play through before.

Younger kids go absolutely apeshit over getting achievements. I can tell you right now that kids between 12 and 16 will come running into the next room yelling about unlocking a particularly difficult achievement. My son is almost 12, my daughter is almost 18, 99.95% of the kids they know really dig on getting achievements / higher Gamerscore.

Well of course it is to ME because I wrote that and that's my opinion. I don't need to state "IMHO I think... blah blah blah..." because if I'm writing it, it's inherent that it's MY opinion.
:)

Gamer points aren't going to get me to do things I might not do otherwise. You won't get me to play a crappy game just because I can get more gamer points from playing it. You also won't even get me to play the best game in the world JUST to get gamer points once I've had my fill of it. Why? Because they still don't MEAN anything. If I don't get them just as a byproduct of me having fun playing the game as much or as little as I would play it REGARDLESS of whether or not they were there in the first place... *deep breath* ... then, I simply won't be getting them at all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think gamer points and achievements are a bad thing in and of themselves, and I can see how you can get a little kick out of unlocking some of them... but to go out of your way, performing in-game tasks that are the very opposite of fun JUST to get more points... that's the very definition of pathetic. It just means that you have absolutely NOTHING better to do with your time since you'd do something that was not enjoyable to "achieve" something meaningless.

Having an incredibly high gamer score ONLY means that you've spent a lot of TIME playing video games, and often times at the expense of actually ENJOYING what you were doing because you were playing JUST for... the points. Congratu-f'ing-lations. *golf clap* Far be it from me to tell ANYONE what to do with their free time, but that still just seems like an awful waste to me.

im at 24557.

and most peopel in the top 1000 have cheated there gamer score that high.
i wont name the website or the device you need. but its simple process.

My, the gaming industry has changed. Back in the day the whole point of playing a game was to get the high score and have your initials show on the screen for all to see. Now people that play games to get a high score are getting flamed as having no life. :confused: What happen?

Is there some kind of reward associated with these scores? Just curious as mine is a meager 820.

mdk30 said:
Doesn't this make pretty much every game meaningless?

FPS - shoot players to obtain kills (points) that really do nothing. After that match, they go away.
Sports - points win the game, but then go away
RPGs - Exp points
Simulation - almost all base your performance on a point system.

Do any of these actually get you anything, or are all of them some variation of the collection of useless points? If they like doing, good for them...at least they are getting their money's worth out of the 360.

Greenwit said:
Is there some kind of reward associated with these scores? Just curious as mine is a meager 820.

No, it's just so you can compare your score to everyone else.

IcedEmotion said:
My, the gaming industry has changed. Back in the day the whole point of playing a game was to get the high score and have your initials show on the screen for all to see. Now people that play games to get a high score are getting flamed as having no life. What happen?

The "whole point" was just to get the high score? REALLY? I thought the whole point was to have FUN. At least I know that's why I play games. I know why people like to compete at certain games too, believe me. I've played my fair share of competetive games, and I've even gone so far as to play games even when I wasn't having any fun... at least until I realized how stupid and pointless it was.

If you're really competetive and get some sort of thrill by trying to be "the best" at some video game, even if you occasionally find yourself getting more frustrated than anything else, I can still understand that to a point. For me, when it gets to the point where the game is consistently more tedious than it is fun, that's when I know I'm taking it too far and I quit, or just go back to playing for fun.

The thing about your gamer score though is that it doesn't really even translate into any REAL skill, so it's silly to try and be competetive about it. All it is doing is vaguely measuring the amount of time you've spent gaming. Since you get points from any number of games, you'll obviously need to play every game that comes out and unlock every achievement in all of those games in order to have THE highest gamer score. Considering how many crappy games you'd have to play, and how many hours you'd have to play them, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why people that aspire to such gaming "greatness" DESERVE to be scorned by the rest of humanity. The only thing having the highest gamer score in the world says about you is that you have no other hobbies or interests aside from gaming, that you're ready and willing to play through every game (good or complete crap) that comes along, and that in essence you are a complete loser, plain and simple. I could go on and infer much nastier things about such a person, but I'll leave it at that because I think the point has been made.

When you played Tetris or Pacman in the arcade was it for the graphics or to see how high of a score you got?

KidzMD said:
Doesn't this make pretty much every game meaningless?

FPS - shoot players to obtain kills (points) that really do nothing. After that match, they go away.
Sports - points win the game, but then go away
RPGs - Exp points
Simulation - almost all base your performance on a point system.

Do any of these actually get you anything, or are all of them some variation of the collection of useless points? If they like doing, good for them...at least they are getting their money's worth out of the 360.

In the BIG picture of things yes. At a very high level games don't MEAN anything, they're just for our entertainment. I don't think anyone that's on their deathbed bemoans that one game they lost way back when.

Entertainment is a great thing though, and I don't have anything against games or any other form of "meaningless" entertainment. The difference here is in the MEANING behind the points, kills, etc. The frags you get in an FPS, or the points you score in sports, or WHATEVER, are there for everyone to use as a comparison of skill. Gamer points don't allow for that, so in that sense, they have no meaning. If you fail to see why, read my previous posts.

IcedEmotion said:
When you played Tetris or Pacman in the arcade was it for the graphics or to see how high of a score you got?

This has nothing to do with graphics. First and foremost, if ANY game doesn't have FUN gameplay, I won't play it. The games you've mentioned of course have what most people would consider to be relatively fun gameplay. People don't get addicted to games like that simply because they HAVE to have the highest score at everything. If the game wasn't fun to play, no one would play long enough to even try and see how high of a score they could get. As I've said previously, I have nothing against competetive games as long as they're still fun. I think you're still missing the point however that a high score in a single game is NOT the same kind of thing as getting a high gamer score on your XBox 360.

It's all about the three initials scrolling across the top of the screen baby.

I have 600 points. Yes, I felt proud when I hit 600 points. I plan on having 3500 by the end of the year. :)

Filter said:
im at 24557.

and most peopel in the top 1000 have cheated there gamer score that high.
i wont name the website or the device you need. but its simple process.

There is no way to "cheat" your gamerscore higher.

JethroXP said:
There is no way to "cheat" your gamerscore higher.

Course there is, just rent EA Sports games, 1000 points for each game in an evening easy :)

I'm only on 805 points :(

That said I've not played it much and have never been on XBox Live and don't have anyone in my friends list as they are all too tight to get a 360 :(

I think Steve should clear someone off his friend list to let me on so I feel validated :D

Back