360 + monitor. How do you guys get sound?

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
Morning, gents.

So my brother is thinking of getting a 360 for Gears (woot!). His current plan is to just hook it up to his 24" Dell monitor at work via component cables. But then he asked me if the 360 has a headphone jack for speakers/headphones. Which got me thinking... hell, I don't even know. I don't think it does.

And then if the monitor itself doesn't have a jack....

I know a lot of people here hook their 360's up to monitors. What do you guys do for sound?

you'll most likely have to get an adaptor...radio shack has one, i know, cause i used it for the xbox

First, the component scaler in the 2407 sucks. He needs to get the VGA cable.

The VGA cable comes with a converter so that you can plug the audio into your computer's line-in. He _may_ need an extension cable, depending on where his computer is located.

erwos said:
First, the component scaler in the 2407 sucks. He needs to get the VGA cable.

The VGA cable comes with a converter so that you can plug the audio into your computer's line-in. He _may_ need an extension cable, depending on where his computer is located.

Great info. Thanks.

Any more testaments from 2407 users?

No reason for the 360's audio to go through a computer. Plug it directly into speakers or headphones.

The VGA cable will look like this. You'll need an adapter to connect those RCA plugs to a headphone or PC speaker minijack.

I wasn't able to find one that had RCA inputs on one side and a minijack input on the other, but you can combine this RCA jacks-to-miniplug adapter with a 3.55 gender changer to do the same job. You could also use a headphone splitter. No worries about losing sound quality.. as long as you only use one jack on the splitter, there should be no appreciable loss of sound quality.

If you have to extend the cables, use RCA cables with a coupler instead of a headphone-type extender. Less interference and better sound.

You can find all this stuff at Radio Shack, but it'll cost a bit more.

I'm in exactly the same predicament exactly, instead I'm already ordering a VGA cable and I'm currently looking into picking up a cheap receiver from a JVC TH-C40 home theater set to connect the audio.

Now my question would be, is it worth it to pick up some new speakers and a subwoofer for the receiver and just use these as new audio outputs for my Xbox 360 AND my computer? Or just use my existing Logitech Z-640's to double their current duty as PC and console speakers? Money is honestly the only issue here.

I'm actually a new Dell 2407 user, so I'll post here on my opinions with the VGA cable arriving soon. Honest to God, the component video is utter garbage. I think the standard composite input is about the same quality, it's pathetic.

Dark Assassin

I have my 360 hooked up to my 2005fpw, I use the optical out to go to a reciever, before that I just used the line on my pc, I had to get an extension cable though.

tazzmissionx said:
I go optical out to my Logitech Z680's

+ 2, cept I got the z5500's.

If your friend has good optitical out capable speakers all you have to do is get an optical cable and merely plug it into the VGA HD cable (it has a port for it) and then into the optical plug on the speakers or such.

have my 360 connected to my monitor via a VGA cable. then i have audio connected to my reciever where i then connect my headphones as needed. (i mainly game at night)

Well, after work last night, I acted rather foolishly and picked up a Yamaha YHT-270 from Best Buy because I'm exhausted from attempting to find the best deal while even playing my 360 a minimal amount without sound.

Needless to say, Dolby Digital II over an optical connection on a 5.1 setup, coupled with a 720 resolution on a Dell 2407 WFP is an absolute dream to play a game on. FIFA 07 is a new experience for me now. I can hear the fans going rabid on the front speakers, commentary from Martin Tyler in the center channel, and ambient sounds from the rear speakers. Honestly, this is the way that Microsoft envisioned the console to be experienced.

It costs a decent coin, but in the end, it's worth it! Now, I can have my computer and console connected through one device, delivering superior sound compared to my older Logitech Z-640's. It's far more organized too.

Dark Assassin

Back