360 Optical Audio problem

I seem to be having an issue getting my rear speakers to work when using Dolby Digital 5.1 when using my 360. The speakers work fine when watching TV, listening to the Radio or Playing a DVD. However when I am using my 360 I only get audio out of the front 3 speakers and the Sub. I have my Component HD cable going from my 360 to my TV, and my TOSLink optical cable going from my 360 HD Component cable to my stereo system. I have my stereo on "digital in" and my 360 set to DD5.1.

What did I screw up? :p

Are you certain that your TV passes 5.1 thru to its optical out?

never mind, i didnt read it well either

Thanks for the replys guys but I'm a home stereo dolby digital retard, It was working fine however I was just using the Dashboard or the intro movies of some games as a test. Come to find out 5.1 will only pass certain programmed sounds to the rears. And here I thought they acted just like normal fronts :(

The 360's pretty odd when it comes to 5.1.
On my old Sony reciever, the "blue light of doom" (sign that you're getting a digital 5.1 signal) is permanently on, but it's not that often that you actually get all 5.1 channels.
The PS3 typically only turns on Dolby Digital when there's a game that supports it and there isn't any multi-channel uncompressed audio available.
Anyway, if you're hooked up to a receiver with an optical cable and the 360's sound is configured to do 5.1 - you should be golden. The only case that it wouldn't be would be if your speakers aren't hooked up right or your cable is damaged in some strange way.
Check your receiver's information display to see if you're getting 5.1 audio, too. Most will tell you what signal you're receiving.

Back