360 owners a question about your power block Cord?

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
So i was looking around the XBOX 360 support site just wasting time, and i found this when i hit the power part of the set up.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/console/power.htm

now the image there clearly shows a 3 pole power cord with the ground fault doggle on it, but my 360 which i bought in may and was built in Feb 2008 has on the old style 2 prong power cord end.

So how is yours? do some have ground fault protection and some don't? should i contact MS and ask them for a cord with ground fault protection?

iirc my xbox has the 2 pronged plug. i got the halo edition during the holidays. i have it plugged into a surge surpressor and am not worried about it blowing

i have mine is a good APC surge bar as well, it strikes my odd that their support site says one thing and it reality its completely different.

It's a drawing... I wouldn't put too much stock in it. =)

from 3/4 down on that page

• Use a properly grounded electrical outlet that accommodates the three-prong grounding plug. Do not remove the grounding prong. If the plug does not fit into your outlet, have an electrician replace the obsolete outlet.

so its more than a drawing, i wonder why the changes? ground fault is meant to protect your electrical devices. so i was just wondering which way is the norm.

its just a standard cable, if you have the 2 prong and want a 3 prong just grab an old computer cable and you have a grounded cable.

i just looked at mine and it is a Falcon / 2 prong.

Mac[X-D];1032635745 said:
from 3/4 down on that page

so its more than a drawing, i wonder why the changes? ground fault is meant to protect your electrical devices. so i was just wondering which way is the norm.

No, ground fault is meant to protect you. Not the device. Since the entire power brick assembly is non-conductive, there is no need for a ground wire. So, MS probably just switch the a $0.10 cheaper power cord and socket to save a few thousand.dollars

I'm kinda glad that in the UK there's one kind of plug for consumer electronics... and everything comes with that same plug. :D

I'm kinda glad that in the UK there's one kind of plug for consumer electronics... and everything comes with that same plug. :D

You do know that even though the UK has 3 prongs, sometimes not every prong is connected/wired up inside the plug, so in effect you have a similar situation that the above posters are speaking about, unless you actually open the plug up ppl assume the ground prong is always connected which isnt always the case, sometimes its just there for show more than anything.

It just that in the states, they have 2 and 3 prong plug versions which is easier to identify compared to having to open up a uk plug and see if the ground is connected.

You do know that even though the UK has 3 prongs, sometimes not every prong is connected/wired up inside the plug, so in effect you have a similar situation that the above posters are speaking about, unless you actually open the plug up ppl assume the ground prong is always connected which isnt always the case, sometimes its just there for show more than anything.
For sure, but there's never any confusion - it goes in the wall. Job done.

yea, i know what you mean, no confusion about needing to change outlets like that article states, just a simple plug n play job and it does the job extremely well if you ask me :)

its just a standard cable, if you have the 2 prong and want a 3 prong just grab an old computer cable and you have a grounded cable.

i just looked at mine and it is a Falcon / 2 prong.

Not its not a standard cable, at least on the first launch ones pretty much.

As far as pluging eletronics in, there is no confusion anywhere.... both 2 and 3 prong plugs fit into the same socket.
What happens if you turn the two prong ones at an angle (it may sound stupid but I don't know what your plug sockets look like).

What happens if you turn the two prong ones at an angle (it may sound stupid but I don't know what your plug sockets look like).

You can't turn it at an angle. They'll only fit one way. (Well, some two pronged plugs are reversable, but it doesn't make a difference)

Top right -- Hot
Top left -- Neutral / Common
Bottom -- Safety Ground. (not always present for devices)

Back