36gb raptor or 74gb?

thunderstruck!

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting really tired of my old hard drive so I'm thinking of getting a new wd 10k drive. I plan on using it for OS and some various apps, games, etc. I have a different drive that I use for storage. I know I won't need more than 36gb.

So should I get a 36gb or a 74gb? Which one is faster or quieter? Also, are the 36gb'ers updated to the latest ADFD revision that the 150GB is, and that the 74gb is finally being updated too?

thunderstruck! said:
I'm getting really tired of my old hard drive so I'm thinking of getting a new wd 10k drive. I plan on using it for OS and some various apps, games, etc. I have a different drive that I use for storage. I know I won't need more than 36gb.

So should I get a 36gb or a 74gb? Which one is faster or quieter? Also, are the 36gb'ers updated to the latest ADFD revision that the 150GB is, and that the 74gb is finally being updated too?

I'd go for the 74gb one, the 36's are slower IMO and really dont have that much space for anything

Right now, the sweet spot in Raptor land is held to be the WD740ADFD, which has the 16MB buffer like the 150GB unit, the best of breed seek performance of the previous 740GD, and is less than $200. If you do get the 36, makes sure it's the ADFD, the GD versions are pretty poor values, as 7200RPM drives have surpassed the performance of the WD360GD. The WD360GD is a design that is about three years old.

DougLite said:
Right now, the sweet spot in Raptor land is held to be the WD740ADFD, which has the 16MB buffer like the 150GB unit, the best of breed seek performance of the previous 740GD, and is less than $200. If you do get the 36, makes sure it's the ADFD, the GD versions are pretty poor values, as 7200RPM drives have surpassed the performance of the WD360GD. The WD360GD is a design that is about three years old.

That's what I'd like to know. I couldn't find any answers, but is WD making ADFD 36gb raptors?

thunderstruck! said:
That's what I'd like to know. I couldn't find any answers, but is WD making ADFD 36gb raptors?
yes:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=245

find one and benchmark it please. There is a good chance that this drive could be even faster than the 74GB version, since it should only need 1/2 the platter, which means that end-of-drive read speeds are higher as well as lower seek times, thanks to a shorter stroke. Then again, maybe WD went cheap on these and used lower density platters or something!? Who knows. We need benches!

My money is on a single 40GB platter short stroked to 36 in the WD360ADFD. However, a single face/head of an 80GB platter short stroked to 36 is also a possibility. The former gives better seek performance, the latter higher transfer rates.

Back