37" 1080p desktop display?

Just wanted to mention to you guys. The auto dim function on the Sony XBR6 series. I was wrong. It can't be completely defeated. If you turn the light sensor off that helps a lot but the screen appears to have some sort of built in contrast enhancement that will crank the backlight up and down automatically when transitioning between heavily dark and light scenes. It's a bit of an annoyance and I wish you could shut it off but there is no way that I'm aware of ATM. Luckily this "feature" doesn't seem to come up that often and as such it's livable for me.

If I remember it right, the auto-dim feature appeared in one of the firmware updates for 2007 models to hide panel uniformity issues ("clouding" or some such thing)...

Possibly. I know all 4 XBR6 sets I've seen had very little problems in the way of clouding. Especially the smaller two. This "feature" is there supposedly to help with contrast between dark and light scenes now.

Possibly. I know all 4 XBR6 sets I've seen had very little problems in the way of clouding. Especially the smaller two. This "feature" is there supposedly to help with contrast between dark and light scenes now.

Oh, I don't know what the forced auto-dim says about the panels now. And all LCD panels have uniformity issues to some degree in any case. (Most important thing is a good return policy.) Just was remarking about how that unfortunate feature originally got in there...

Back