37" 1920x1080 LCD $1200

mell1n said:
this tv is available again at $1199 in TX today. use the 10% off coupon for 1079 + tax.

Hey, mell1n,
Deutsch420 is eager to buy a Westy at that price (Think he'll have a heart attack if he hears about the $1079 price :D) He posted that he'll pay $100+ to hire a "personal shopper" who will buy and ship the Westy to him...

So mell1n or anyone else who has a BestBuy selling at $1199 or less, interested in earning $100+ for your time and work to getting him that Westy?

Reply to his post #142 or PM him...
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028859738&postcount=142

himmy said:
Yes, there is a difference. look at current tech, like a DVD running on in 480i and 480p.
Oh, I know there is a big difference between watching an interlaced signal vs. a progressive signal. That's not what I said though.

I'm talking about a 1080i signal upconverted to 1080p and displayed at 1080p, compared to a signal that originated in 1080p. Both viewed at 1080p. Would you see a difference? Same number of pixels, both de-interlaced. Unless the de-interlace circuitry doing the upconversion introduced artifacts, I would think you would have virtually the same output quality, because there is no scaling being done.

hodiscuss said:
Hey, mell1n,
Deutsch420 is eager to buy a Westy at that price (Think he'll have a heart attack if he hears about the $1079 price :D) He posted that he'll pay $100+ to hire a "personal shopper" who will buy and ship the Westy to him...

So mell1n or anyone else who has a BestBuy selling at $1199 or less, interested in earning $100+ for your time and work to getting him that Westy?

Reply to his post #142 or PM him...
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028859738&postcount=142

yea!! or anyone who lives near anywhere that is selling them cheap.. Ill throw whomever some cash to get it and ship it for me.. All i ask is for some heat/ebay or other referances before i send the $$... I'de apprecicate the help.. BB near me is giving it to me up the pooper.. $1899.... :mad:

if the i->p conversion was well done, then most viewers wouldn't see a difference. it all depends on the convesion process. it's the same with HDV editing that i'm doing right now. i just videoed a wedding with Canon's latest XL H1 (www.canondv.com) and it's 1440x1080i. i encoded it to 1920x1080p. depending on how good the encoder is, it can look awesome or awful.

Malatov said:
Oh, I know there is a big difference between watching an interlaced signal vs. a progressive signal. That's not what I said though.

I'm talking about a 1080i signal upconverted to 1080p and displayed at 1080p, compared to a signal that originated in 1080p. Both viewed at 1080p. Would you see a difference? Same number of pixels, both de-interlaced. Unless the de-interlace circuitry doing the upconversion introduced artifacts, I would think you would have virtually the same output quality, because there is no scaling being done.

Malatov said:

Depends on what is converting it. DCDi is one of the best.

Damn, why can't they be $1200 here in MN? I would be in for at least 2. Oh well, I will wait until they drop to $1200 here, then snatch a couple, hopefully in time for PS3, unless the 1080P Plasmas or SED TVs are really kickass and worth the $$$ over these. 'Til then my Hitachi HD Plasma (Over 2 years old :eek: ) will have to tide me over.

Well, that's it. I just HAVE to get one now. I'm stuck out of town (in boston) until friday, but saturday morning, I'm heading off to BB to pick one of these bad boys up. I called up BB to check on pricing and verified that it's currently $1199 until Saturday. Starting Sunday they go "on sale" for $1599 or some stupid crap.

I will post my experience and pics of it running mythtv off a SD DirecTV source (AND PLAYING BF2!) once I get it, as I plan on skipping work on monday. I have a 6800Ultra that I need to install for just such purposes... MWUUHAHAHAHAAAA! :cool:

Any other news from [H]'ers on this?

-q

I called the store in Galleria Texas today (my dad lives there) and was qouted 1799 for this monitor. Anyone know where to get a deal on one near houston? I'm ready to buy, but not at 1799. :(

wotblake said:
I called the store in Galleria Texas today (my dad lives there) and was qouted 1799 for this monitor. Anyone know where to get a deal on one near houston? I'm ready to buy, but not at 1799. :(

The galleria is an area near which a lot of people with more dollars than sense live, so pricing will NOT be very competitive. I PM'ed you a location that would be better suited to picking one up. Best of luck. You're looking for a higher volume store that's not in a rich neighborhood. There might be some in Houston that have it at this price, and if not, tell them to price match the offer at the other stores.

Also, use the coupon mentioned at the top of this page.

-q

wotblake said:
Anyone know where to get a deal on one near houston? I'm ready to buy, but not at 1799. :(

People in Texas calling local BB stores have reported that the $1199 price is only at certain stores. There may be other Best Buy locations in other cities, but these are the cities posted so far...
Austin, TX (3 hrs away from Houston!)
Lewisville, TX
Frisco, TX

And the extended warranty was $160...

In any case, you still have to call each store to DOUBLE-CHECK price and availability (and somehow get the store to hold one until you arrive at that store)

hodiscuss said:
People in Texas calling local BB stores have reported that the $1199 price is only at certain stores. There may be other Best Buy locations in other cities, but these are the cities posted so far...
Austin, TX
Lewisville, TX
Frisco, TX

And the extended warranty was $160...

In any case, you still have to call each store to DOUBLE-CHECK price and availability (and somehow get the store to hold one until you arrive at that store)

I spoke with a very helpful gentleman who searched through thier pricing system at a BB local to me near downtown dallas (the store is on Central Expressway. Since (as mentioned above) I'm out of town, I asked him about pre-ordering over the phone, etc. He said the they were not allowed to take any orders over the phone because of abuses / fraud in the past. He told me that they were out of stock at that location, but the warehouse local to that store had inventory. Basically he told me to come in and make the purchase (pay for it) and delivery would be scheduled from the warehouse to my house (nice, because I couldn't even fit the last 27" tv into my car!).

Just call around. You might try informing the closest BB to you about the prices that other stores have on this, but in the end, I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a losing proposition. If you call around (and are friendly, patient and curteous to the employees) you will probabbly find a store that has it for this price in the DFW metroplex. To be honest, I'd say that this deal would be worth a small road trip in the least. Heck, if they didn't have them in dallas, I'd drive to Houston / Austin / San Antonio to get it for this price.

When I do buy, I think I'll be getting the extended warranty *if* the coupon applies to the price of that as well. I could use the extra coverage for that price, and the spiffs and / or higher margin sales will help the employee out. It's win / win. One of the only times you'll ever hear me speaking positively about an extended warranty. This is only because I don't plan on buying another set for at least 5 years.

Best of luck to all, and if you bastards buy all of them up before I'm back in town on saturday I'll never forgive you.

-q

qfour20 said:
Best of luck to all, and if you bastards buy all of them up before I'm back in town on saturday I'll never forgive you.

How bout contacting a friend/neighbor living near you to go buy the Westy for you so you don't miss out?

So no one wants to make a fast quick easy 100 bucks huh?? Im hoping to make it to my best buy tonight, but if anyone wants to pick one up for me at 1200, ill pay you 100 bucks for your troubles + whatever shipping is..

Print out the receipt, go to BB and find someone that looks nice. Tell them that a friend told you about this deal and gave you the receipt and see if they can pricematch it for you. It worked for me but I forgot the 10% coupon....Good luck everyone. I love this monitor. BTW, If you are REALLY desperate I could get this deal for you (hopefully they still price match it here) but I think I would need 150 to make my butt move.

for those of you interested too, bestbuy has an no interest until 2009 on all TV's over 999$..

is the TV going on sale for 1599$ at all stores on sunday?

i am probably going to go pick it up but around here its still 1800$ - the 10% coupon (which is about 1620$)..

but then again the 10% coupon expires on the 21st (and sunday is the 22nd)..

maybe i'll just go pick it up, 1620$ still isn't too bad.

NTB said:
Did everyone miss this?

The one listed for Best Buy does not have any tuner.

Most people who use high end displays/tv's do not use the onboard tuner.

Sometimes it's hard to convince the wife to get off that regular residential cable and "move up" (which to them means "it costs more money") to something that's HD. It's especially difficult to convince her it's worth the extra money when you just dropped 2 G's on a TV. Having a regular tuner means you can get a smoother transition!!

Well, here's my experience with the boys in blue.

Went into best buy saturday afternoon. As could be expected, they were pretty busy. I told the first salesman that talked to me that I wanted to pick up the 37" westy. He was finishing up with a customer (as was everyone else from his departement), so I wandered around and looked at all the toys. After a short while, he got back with me (the lady he was helping before me was rather clueless, which provided him with a nice opportunity to upsell stuff. glad i knew exactly what I wanted) The store was out of stock of the W37's, but the warehouse had them. Apparently, to deliver from the warehouse is a $50 charge.

The price that they had them for was $1499. I explained that I had called earlier in the week and spoken to somebody about that panel, etc. and was quoted $1299 that would be valid through saturday. He said that he wouldn't be able to honor that price, as he had no information about it having been sold at that price. Fair enough. I asked if I could talk to a manager (no reason to get mad at an employee for doing his job). He said sure and walked off to dig one up. When he returned (I never did talk to a manager), he said he could split the difference with me. That's fair enough, in my opinion. I would have LOVED to get this panel for $1299, but still, $1399 isn't too bad.

I informed him that I had the 10% coupon. He took a look at the coupon and said that he would not be able to honor it. He told me that he would be happy to honor the coupon, but his manager had gotten onto them for doing it on sale priced items. The coupon would be for the panel's full price of $1899. :(

So, after all was said and done, I was looking at just over $1700 for the panel, delivery, and a 4 year on site warranty. He asked me if I needed accessories and I told him no. He was obviously disappointed at not being able to sell me cables and a power conditioner, but he'll get a spiff for the extended warranty.

The panel should arrive tomorrow, and I'm very excited. I didn't get as [H]ot of a deal as some others, but it was a better deal than current online pricing or in store pricing. It's a fair price for this panel, and provided the panel has no issues with dead pixels, I will now completely disregard all TV pricing information until it's time to buy another.

Good luck to all of you out there.

-q

qfour20 said:
but he'll get a spiff for the extended warranty.

Incorrect.

Bestbuy is one of the only places left where you dont get any type of commision on anything. I worked in Bestbuy for about 7 months... I saw so many people get screwed over.

For future reference: If they say they cant take a coupon then tell them to leave the TV near the registers because you have to do some more shopping. When they get busy with another customer then get someone near the registers to ring you up. Voila, coupon time!

Tengis said:
Bestbuy is one of the only places left where you dont get any type of commision on anything.

That's really too bad. Commission is an excellent motivator that I've seen (from both sides of the equation) result in FAR superior customer service.

Tengis said:
For future reference: If they say they cant take a coupon then tell them to leave the TV near the registers because you have to do some more shopping. When they get busy with another customer then get someone near the registers to ring you up. Voila, coupon time!
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I had to use him to ring it up, though, because they didn't have the panel in the store so I was setting up home delivery. Thanks!

-q

Tengis said:
Incorrect.

Bestbuy is one of the only places left where you dont get any type of commision on anything. I worked in Bestbuy for about 7 months... I saw so many people get screwed over.

you don't get a commission, but you are required to keep the % of extended warranties you sell above a certain number. Therefore people working there push those warranties just as if they were getting a comm. on it.

Back