380W PSU enough???

govtcheez

Gawd
I've been using a Cooler Master ATC-201 case with a 520w OCZ Powerstream PSU. This is a nice combo, but the case is not the quietest (4x80mm and 1x92mm fans). I wanted something really quiet, so I just recently bought an Antec Sonata, which came with a 380W PSU. I can easily swap out the PSU, so I can use the 520W OCZ, but I'm thinking about sticking with the Antec PSU that's in the case already if it can sufficiently handle all the components that I'm using.

DFI NF3 Ultra-D with A64 3800+ oc'd to 2.6ghz with 1.65v
XFX 6800GT AGP
1x 37gb WD Raptor
1X 80gb WD Caviar
1x DVD/DCRW Combo drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
54g Wireless PCI
Floppy drive
Vantec Nexus Fanbus (may not be needed anymore)
2x 120mm fans

What do you think? I know that the 6800gt takes a lot of power, and I read somewhere that they recommend at least a 450w PSU for it.

Personally, I would use the Powerstream.

By the specs no, but it will do it, However its working that supply very hard and asking for trouble, lots of trouble. I am with Jonny, use the powerstream and sell the 380 or toss it in the closet for emergencys.

jonnyGURU said:
Personally, I would use the Powerstream.

I know that it's probably a far superior PSU, but I don't really know if I have a need for that much power. I feel like it's going to waste and if the 380W Antec is going to be just as stable...I may as well sell the 520w PowerStream while it still has pretty good value.

wwparrish said:
By the specs no, but it will do it, However its working that supply very hard and asking for trouble, lots of trouble. I am with Jonny, use the powerstream and sell the 380 or toss it in the closet for emergencys.

Interesting. I think you were the first person from 2 forums that said the 380 might struggle with this setup.

You think the extra power available would be a waste?

It's not like it's going to produce wattage it's not going to need. Your power requirements and draw will not change (unless they had drastically different efficiencies, which they don't.)

What would be a waste would be to keep the OCZ in the closet. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
You think the extra power available would be a waste?

It's not like it's going to produce wattage it's not going to need. Your power requirements and draw will not change (unless they had drastically different efficiencies, which they don't.)

What would be a waste would be to keep the OCZ in the closet. ;)

hehe...I was actually thinking of selling the one I don't use. I doubt I can get much for the Antec (probably $25-30), but I'm pretty sure that I can get a decent amount for my OCZ (close to $100).

I am praying you are a very very small cheeze.

"if the 380W Antec is going to be just as stable"

NO FREAKING WAY.

wwparrish said:
I am praying you are a very very small cheeze.

"if the 380W Antec is going to be just as stable"

NO FREAKING WAY.

allllright. I get the point. I should stick with the OCZ. :p

Back