3870 vs 3850

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161211

I didn't see any 3870's so I figure i'll just get this and hopefully it can hold me over until the 9 series.

Is it possible to overclock the 3850 to match the 3870(stock) or do they have completley different parts?

Do they just have the 3850 underclocked so they can sell it alot cheaper and not force everyone to pay $220 or bust?

Core should be overclockable pretty easily, but the 3870 uses faster RAM. I don't think you'll be able to make up for that, at least without some heavy voltmodding.

The memory on the 3870 is GDDR4 running at effective 2.4ghz, GL reaching that with GDDR3

The core can reach the 70's core speed, but you have to remember that your card is a single slot, while the 3870 is a dual, if you want to OC I would recommend getting an aftermarket cooling solution for it.

I'm very tempted to get the 3850 because it's available and I'm not really a hard core gamer. i just want Crysis and COD4 to run with eye candy. Besides those two games, I really don't play any.

BUT, I've got a feeling I'm going to regret not getting the 3870 for $40 more (assuming the $219 will eventually be available again).

decisions, decisions...

Well I got mine from newegg so if they have the 3870's within 30 days of my purchase I can RMA it and get that.

I'm in the same boat. No 3870s in stock. I wanted to do 2 3870s in crossfire on an ASUS P5E X38, but then I couldn't install my 4 TV tuners. With 2 x 3850s I can install the TV tuners and hopefully get good performance in the latest games @ 1280x720. I really wish they were 512 cards though,

be on the look out on Monday they will have some b/c that was the official release date.

Whoa 4 TV tuners? What would you do with that?

And an HD HomeRun... Vista Media Center hacked to record on all of them. Acts as my Media Server / Gaming system. I have 3 kids with computers and an Xbox 360 downstairs to provide TV series to.

Well I got mine from newegg so if they have the 3870's within 30 days of my purchase I can RMA it and get that.

You might want to reread the return policy for the 3850. Here is what is says *atleast for me*

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Detail
This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

I'm in the same boat. No 3870s in stock. I wanted to do 2 3870s in crossfire on an ASUS P5E X38, but then I couldn't install my 4 TV tuners. With 2 x 3850s I can install the TV tuners and hopefully get good performance in the latest games @ 1280x720. I really wish they were 512 cards though,

there are 512mb 3850s, not sure if they are in the shops yet, but they will be shortly anyway.

or you could consider putting two 3870s under water, AFAIK any non complete coverage x1x00 block will do, so there are bound to be a few single slot water blocks out there that will suit your needs

BUT, I've got a feeling I'm going to regret not getting the 3870 for $40 more (assuming the $219 will eventually be available again).

I'd go for the 3870 if you can swing it. Especially if you consider upgrading the cooling on a 3850, so close in price anyways.

You might want to reread the return policy for the 3850. Here is what is says *atleast for me*

Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Detail
This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

Yeah I can usually get past that though. I'll have it in perfect condition (unless something crazy happens) in all of the original packaging/ect. I usually just ask them nicely about it and say something like "You know, i've spent a few thousand dollars on newegg. I'd hate to have to stop there...". They usually let me go with that. I'm sure they'd be cool with it if they knew I was only refunding it to buy something else from newegg.

Back