390.77 nvidia driver

Venturi

Limp Gawd
This is specific to this driver set, I have no microcode/bios or windows update for this specific part. So the comparison is strictly apples to apples

on 4x Titan XP quad SLI these drivers score consistently lower than <390

on 4x Titan V these drivers score consistently lower than <390

on single Titan XP these drivers score consistently lower than <390

on single Titan V these drivers score consistently lower than <390

On stability, these drivers have caused app crashes and game crashes, not that I've never ever had a crash before, but let's just say I haven't seen it since one of the 385 drivers. So these drivers and the 390.65 are similar in instability

so back to 388.71 till they quit monkeying around

A lot of folks are invoking these "unique" security fixes as gospel, but I've also seen that a lot of people actually don't understand how these patches work/don't work.

..and its not a fix if it hurts performance.

-like preventing a broken finger by cutting off both your arms

Well these drivers are crap for Windows 10 on my GTX970, haven't had issues for quite some time up until now with nvidia drivers.

Upgraded from the 390.65 to these 390.77 last night. Today I couldn't get the Start menu to show up, shortcut keys to adjust volume stopped working, even going to windows settings took near 2 minutes to open. Figuring the last thing I did was the graphics driver went to App and uninstalled them and installed 390.65 again. Issue is gone now.

Only had the Driver and PhysX installed as always. Now I gotta configure my GFX setting again. PITA I tell ya.

Upgraded from the 390.65 to these 390.77 last night. Today I couldn't get the Start menu to show up, shortcut keys to adjust volume stopped working, even going to windows settings took near 2 minutes to open. Figuring the last thing I did was the graphics driver went to App and uninstalled them and installed 390.65 again. Issue is gone now.

Only had the Driver and PhysX installed as always. Now I gotta configure my GFX setting again. PITA I tell ya.

Same problem for me, tried several reinstalls etc, but Start menu, search, Edge, etc. did not work after reboot. I could see in the task manager that several Edge browsers where open but they where not visible. Finally uninstalled Avast antivirus and Comodo firewall and installed drivers again. Everything worked instantly after reboot and continued to work after reinstalling Avast and Comodo. I have not experienced this before.

I still can't get 4:4:4 nvidia color profile to work with my samsung 40" 4k screen. Now only 4:4:2.

Last one I couldn't get s picture at all after 3 attempts.

Installed 390.77 and BSOD right away. Something regarding a page file error found in non-page file area. This was on every single restart. Rolled back to 390.65 and all is right with the world.

(all testing done at 3840x2160, max eye-candy, except AA is limited to FXAA, SMAAx1, or TXAAx1, and no motion blur)
(max eye-candy to me means visual enhancing mods, at least 16xAF, fluids, physics, lighting, max textures etc)
( My PC has not been patched and my BIOS is the latest WITHOUT the specter or Meltdown patches)

While my rig is not primarily used for gaming, I thought I'd bench the new driver (390.77 vs the 388.71) on Vulkan and some regular games with built in benchmarks:

Vulkan Ashes of the singularity, Escalation ----- an 8.1% drop
(DX12 Ashes of the Singularity, Escalation ---mGPU ------ a 5.33% drop)

Doom / Vulkan ----9% drop (same scene, location and FPS count)

Wolfenstein New Colossus Vulkan (asynch enabled) ---- 4% drop (same scene, location and FPS count)

Talos Principle Vulkan, somewhat unstable on either driver, ----- 6.1% drop
(Talos Principle DX11-stable compared to vulkan ----a 7.6% drop)

some game results with games with internal benchmarks:

I retested these drivers (390.77 vs 388.71) on older dx11, 10 and OpenGL and have found this:

Painkiller Black Edition (visuals mod) (internal benchmark C5L1 and C5L2 av.)------ 388.71 = 548FPS -----390.77 = 477FPS

F.E.A.R. (visual max mod) (internal benchmark)------ 388.71 = 497FPS -----390.77 = 408FPS

Doom 3, (mod/max/HD) (internal benchmark) -------388.71 = 143FPS --------390.77 = 95FPS

Vanishing of Ethan Carter on UE4 --------388.71= 191FPS ------390.77 = 185FPS

Echo on UE4 ------388.71 = 212FPS ----------390.77 = 179FPS

Mos Eisley UE4 -------388.71 = 78FPS -------- 390.77 = 54FPS

both the 390.65 and 390.77 show clearly a drop in performance.

BUT I also have experienced considerable instability with both 390 series drivers, which may not be measured in a benchmark, but manifests itself in lockups, blank screens, slow loads, and weird behaviors in games.

While its not a tangible assessment, my opinion is that these drivers have fundamental changes in them. I speculate that it could be from the meltdown and specter patching in them, I don't buy into the pre release to new cards drop in performance.

A lot of folks don't really see issues with these drivers in relation to relatively simple setups: one card, windows 10, non RAID drives, low core count cpus, and resolutions less than 4k. However, introduce a more substantial build and these drivers demonstrate a marked difference in stability and performance (to me and my build)

I have tried these drivers (390 series)on my fully functional SLI (titan xp build) and my 4x Titan V build, and in both cases they are "the worst drivers I've ever experienced from Nvidia"

in my opinion and applicable to my builds:
Best drivers on 4x Titan XP SLI ---385.12 (on optimized server 2012)
Best drivers on 4x Titan V ---388.59 (on optimized server 2016)

my build
prototype (my personal pc)
Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 44 cores / 88HT
Super micro X10DRG-Q ver 1.10
Customized TT P3 case / glass panel
1 960pro (2TB) (Windows Os drive)
1 960pro (2TB) (Ubuntu OS drive)
10x SSD RAIDed (Apps/Data Drive)
512 GB RAM (ecc reg)
4x TITAN V
1500W+ digital titanium PSU
Ubuntu, MS 2012 Server R2, MS 2016 Server
4k ProArt 329q monitor

Used for research, medical imaging, nuc med, isotopes, DB, and games

Last edited:
Monitor signal loss during 3d modes on both 760 and 970 with these, 381.89 are rock solid on both. Almost made me toss a perfectly good 970, glad I tried them on the 760.

The 390 drivers are terrible. Same problems as the guys above. Also has problems my Oculus Rift. Have to reboot the system to get the Headset to work.

If I roll back to the 388 .71 drivers everything works fine.

Back