3930K+H80 = high temps?

devil22

2[H]4U
Firstly though, I have disabled all power saving and downclocking features of the bios. No SpeedStep, turbo, C1E, C3, C6 or C7. I prefer the lower latency I get, and enabling all those options only drops my temps 6c-7c degrees anyway. Ok, so I'm getting temps around 52c-55c just sitting at the desktop with no programs running. This is with the pump at high (all 3 lights on), and my Gelid fan turned to low for minimum noise. With 75f ambient, are these temps higher than expected in this situation? I'm wondering if the H80 is perhaps dying, I tried going into the bios, enabling all the power saving features again and changing my Windows power profile from High to Balanced, yet my temps stayed 45c-47c. When I first got the system, and running with all power saving features enabled, I seem to remember getting around ~30c or so, and I always keep the room around 75f, summer or winter.. Should I get something else, perhaps a NH-D14 and try that? Also, I reapplied TIM, and re-tightened the H80, seemed to help (temps were in 60c+ at idle with no power saving features enabled before I did that.) CPU is currently run at 3.5Ghz, but I used to overclock more, 4-4.2ghz, so maybe the cpu has been degraded..? So, opinions?

So you turn off all the power saving features and then wonder why it idles at high temps? Also, the fan speed has to be adequate to exchange air well with the rad. Finally, water coolers, even the smaller all-in-ones, take time to dump heat out of the water. If you're booting quickly just to check, it might not be enough time to dump all the heat. Let it sit for 30 min if it worries you.

So you turn off all the power saving features and then wonder why it idles at high temps?

Yea. I mean no. I mean.. Can we be serious please and fore-go the bugs bunny re-enacting? Obviously that is not what I am doing, since I said I re-enabled all the power saving features and it was no where near where it used to be when doing so..

I let it sit, it's down to around 50c, just wondering if that's normal when you disable power features, for instance if someone else does that with a similar setup I'd like to hear what their temps are..

If you've disabled all of the power saving features, then yes, that is pretty normal.

Were you using voltage offsets before?

If you've disabled all of the power saving features, then yes, that is pretty normal.

Were you using voltage offsets before?

Nope, never messed with that. Always kept the voltage at the default. The H80 was loose, and I noticed the TIM was unevenly applied, so redoing that stuff and waiting 30 minutes got it down about 14c-10c (temps are 46c-50c right now), so good enough I guess.

Fair enough. You could use the voltage offsets to lower your load and idle voltage so it doesn't generate so much heat. It took me about and hour or so to find the right voltage offset. With the offset, and all of the power saving features turned on, I idle at about 37c.

Back