3D / 120hz / LED IPS possible?

Cyane

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I've been itching to buy a Dell U3011, though my wallet will be severely damaged (and empty), but I stopped to think, do 120hz LED IPS panels even exist? My guess is, they would cost way too much to manufacture and for the end user to buy. It got me excited after seeing a movie in 3D this past week. Anything current or coming up in the near future?

Cheers!

They wouldn't cost much more to manufacture, no. Those making display panels simply don't care to produce premium products, for the most part. It's a race to the bottom to see who can offer the biggest for the cheapest, because that's all that the average consumer cares about.

Im guessing it has more to do with the market of such a device. The people looking for an IPS monitor arent interested in anything other than color accuracy who can usually afford the price premium.. And the cheap TN panels are made for the widest audience possible where people look more at terms like '1080p' '3D' '120Hz' etc and mostly want to pay as little as possible. IPS isn't something most people care about. Im betting they make a lot more bank on 120hz TN then they ever would for an IPS with LED and a high refresh. We still don't even have have the option of LED and 120hz monitors yet (?) with TN let alone IPS.. so basically what steal said sadly.

Yeah agreed with steal. We were discussing LCD manufacturing in an Economics class recently, the state of the industry truly is sad from an enthusiast's stand point.

1000hz ips is already possible

but ips is slightly too slow for 3d
i mean even "fast" tn panels do cause ghosting already
certainly won't ghost less with an ips

1000hz ips is already possible

but ips is slightly too slow for 3d
i mean even "fast" tn panels do cause ghosting already
certainly won't ghost less with an ips

I'm not sure what part of your ass your pulling that from but no , its not. The bandwidth requirements would be insane. Pretty sure your confusing plasma technology and the bullshit advertisement of "600hz" panel technology which has really nothing to do with this.

IPS is more than able to handle 120hz technology , the problem is the manufacturers just don't see a market for it. The cost of development and finally release of such a product for a tiny percentage of the market just isn't something they wanna be bothered with.

The LCD market for PCs is pretty sad right now , innovation is being measured by going from CCFL lighting to LED lighting with the only benefit being power usage ( while this is something quite good) but other than that there really isn't anything else going on.

I mean for CES the high marks of the show for LCD monitors for PC usage where more company's announcing IPS panels ... and also a billion LED panels.

Until it becomes more economically viable to produce such panels and make a profit , you just won't see them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so adamant about LED backlight support unless it is full array RGB LED (expensive). The LED monitors that are being released right now are edge lit WLED, which in some ways is inferior to traditional CCFL backlighting.

I would love to see a 120Hz RGB LED full array backlit 30" IPS display, but I'm sure that isn't coming anytime soon and even if it did it would cost significantly more than the current CCFL backlit 30" IPS displays.

I would love to see a 120Hz RGB LED full array backlit 30" IPS display, but I'm sure that isn't coming anytime soon and even if it did it would cost significantly more than the current CCFL backlit 30" IPS displays.

Me too! I have the money damn it, sell it to me! :(

the first one to make a 24-inch (or bigger) 120hz IPS with very low input lag and no real drawbacks is going to sell millions. There is a market for this.

They wouldn't cost much more to manufacture, no. Those making display panels simply don't care to produce premium products, for the most part. It's a race to the bottom to see who can offer the biggest for the cheapest, because that's all that the average consumer cares about.

What he said; end of story. Like others I wish this wasent true, but it is.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that TV is using interpolation, meaning it doesn't operate at a real 240hz let alone 120hz

You might be right but I thought TVs that did 3D had to be able to actually refresh at 120Hz so each eye had 60fps and it didn't look really "flickery" with the shutter glasses

I do agree the 240Hz is definitely interpolation.

Last edited:
You might be right but I thought TVs that did 3D had to be able to actually refresh at 120Hz so each eye had 60fps and it didn't look really "flickery" with the shutter glasses

I do agree the 240Hz is definitely interpolation.

Nope, wrong again.

3D Tvs do 3D at 24hz an eye, ie: under 60hz.

oops my bad, ips would be nice but idk only in tv's from what I see,maybe Samsung has something up there sleeve

Nope, wrong again.

3D Tvs do 3D at 24hz an eye, ie: under 60hz.

Interesting, how do they prevent the user from seeing the flicker in the glasses.

3D shutter glasses have been around for a long time before 120hz LCDs. I used to have a pair of eDimensional ones for my CRT (which I used to run at 100Hz but there was still noticeable flicker) They only started coming back when 120Hz LCD screens came out and I thought this was finally fast enough to eliminate the flicker. If it's possible to do shutter glasses without flicker with under 60Hz then why couldn't they do it before?

BETA. said:
I think that TV is using interpolation, meaning it doesn't operate at a real 240hz let alone 120hz
They do use interpolation, but the panel has to operate at 120 Hz to display those extra frames. They just don't accept 120 Hz input because there are no 120 Hz TV signals.

Me too! I have the money damn it, sell it to me! :(
also had 800 bucks this month trying to buy a half-decent display
in the end i was forced to buy some 10 year old used crt for 50 bucks...
the industry is only interested in selling cheap stuff to the masses nowadays
no more quality products no matter how much you're willing to pay

well as long as people are gonna post specs for a dream IPS screen I' asking for a 27"-30" 3840x2400 (16:10) 120hz RGB direct back lit monitor that has lag no worse than my 2209wa with a hardware 16bit LUT so I can do proper sRGB emulation or adobeRGB or d-cinema/DCI colorspaces and sell for $1500 or less with a thin bezel like the Samsung 8000 series seen at CES.

name one technical reason why 1000hz ips displays aren't possible ;)
there is none therefore it is possible

Thats not proof and its rhetorical.

Bandwidth , engineering issues , cost of research and development...

List goes on and on.

Do you honestly have any point or are you just being sarcastic?

Thats not proof and its rhetorical.

Bandwidth , engineering issues , cost of research and development...

List goes on and on.

Do you honestly have any point or are you just being sarcastic?

all really only "cost issues"
but its technically possible without a problem

Put me down for one... I haven't made a major purchase in over a year. This is something I would buy.

Is DisplayPort 1.2 the only interconnect that would work?

Given the bandwidth requirements for 2560x1600 @ 120Hz, I would say yes.

well as long as people are gonna post specs for a dream IPS screen I' asking for a 27"-30" 3840x2400 (16:10) 120hz RGB direct back lit monitor that has lag no worse than my 2209wa with a hardware 16bit LUT so I can do proper sRGB emulation or adobeRGB or d-cinema/DCI colorspaces and sell for $1500 or less with a thin bezel like the Samsung 8000 series seen at CES.

I think you stretched the wishlist just a bit. :p

Who cares about motion and 3D? Being able to view the display 45 degrees off angle or when standing up with little color shift is what matters.

We will see a 120hz IPS panel by the end of 2011, or possibly a 120hz PLS display from Samsung, don't worry.

My roomates KNOW im TV knowledgeable.

So what do they do? They go best buy, and get the biggest tv for the cheapest price.

/facepalm

they can be refreshed before they've switched completely
also ips != twisted nematic

IPS, TN and VA are all nematic LC modes.

Refreshing the device before it has completed switching will lead to cross-talk in 3D modes.

It occurs to me that refreshing an LCD at a rate that does not allow the LC layer to ever switch completely is a waste of bandwidth. TV refresh is a different issue.

IPS, TN and VA are all nematic LC modes.

Refreshing the device before it has completed switching will lead to cross-talk in 3D modes.

It occurs to me that refreshing an LCD at a rate that does not allow the LC layer to ever switch completely is a waste of bandwidth. TV refresh is a different issue.

yes of course you wanna have it switched completely for 3d
for that matter ips (as well as tn) simply is a little too slow

the not-switching-completely for 2d is however very common
how many tfts really completely switch in less than a frame? few
high refresh rates still look much more fluid and will also switch completely in scenes with low action

Back