3D Render Ubermister - Check this out!!!

He's got some really cool vehicle concepts on his site, but, uh, I've seen better renders. Not that they aren't great, mind you, but "3D Render Ubermister," whatver that means? I'm not so sure.

He's using Autodesk design and render products.... Not Maya or 3dMax ( I know - - Autodesk spinoff - seperate company now) or any of the other visual production products. This is pure mechanical design software.

In fact I found the link from an Autodesk ad on the back of Nasa Tech Briefs. That was sent to a manufacturing facility. He's even created the engines and other internals for some of the cars.

So, IMHO he is the best I've seen, as an individual that doesn't have a supercomputer like they built for the Lord of the Rings.

But then again - I don't get out much! :D

Well he has very cool concepts - no doubt about it - and his 3D work is nice too, but the rendering itself is nothing special at all...and most things aren't even properly textured. They mostly have images slapped on. Also, everything's high poly, so you can't tell if he's an efficient (aka "good") modeler. The renderings are generally just some global illumination with a reflective material applied on the models...which is very easy to do (although slow to render).

Head on over to www.CGSociety.org if you want to see some of the most talented people on earth when it comes to high poly modeling and digital painting. There are also other sites specifically for concept art, 3D, game art, etc. but CG Society even has "challenges" sponsored by NVIDIA and other big companies as well as interviews with people from big game and movie companies (which create nice 3D graphics).

Well he has very cool concepts - no doubt about it - and his 3D work is nice too, but the rendering itself is nothing special at all...and most things aren't even properly textured. They mostly have images slapped on. Also, everything's high poly, so you can't tell if he's an efficient (aka "good") modeler. The renderings are generally just some global illumination with a reflective material applied on the models...which is very easy to do (although slow to render).

Head on over to www.CGSociety.org if you want to see some of the most talented people on earth when it comes to high poly modeling and digital painting. There are also other sites specifically for concept art, 3D, game art, etc. but CG Society even has "challenges" sponsored by NVIDIA and other big companies as well as interviews with people from big game and movie companies (which create nice 3D graphics).

Read his Bio - he used to design cars!

Lemme see him render like this:

largef01gx6.jpg

and then I'll be impressed. :D Found that one on one of those 3D gallery sites, won a lot of awards from what I understand. And yes it's a rendered car, the background was taken from some HDR photos iirc. Damned impressive stuff, especially considering how well the reflections from the background imagery were laid over the auto's surface.

Lemme see him render like this:

largef01gx6.jpg

and then I'll be impressed. :D Found that one on one of those 3D gallery sites, won a lot of awards from what I understand. And yes it's a rendered car, the background was taken from some HDR photos iirc. Damned impressive stuff, especially considering how well the reflections from the background imagery were laid over the auto's surface.

Source please (more pics!)? :)

I'll try to find it again, I pop in and out of 3D galleries and forums on a regular basis looking for wallpaper-worthy materials. That one caught my eye and wouldn't let go. I refused to believe it was a render for a while till the artist posted the wireframe and, well, that was the convincer. :)

Lots of people have nice renders of cars. They're actually pretty easy to do. The only complicated part is modeling the car, since anyone can apply a reflective "car paint" material on it and press "render" but a lot less people can model complex geometry.

The reflections are done automatically based on the environment map (HDRI for best lighting results), so it's not like they're done by hand. :p Quick example:
b_ea76c2da8e938923955611cf5940e9c4.jpg

The best and most complex renders are the ones where you use advanced lighting and the do a lot of post-processing and compositing. That's actually a lot harder to do and a lot less people can do it. Realistic textures are impressive too...but car renders generally use a car paint shader and no textures.

Well, in my 20+ years of working with CGI (even before we called it CGI, just "computer graphics") I've never seen a better render of a car than the one I posted above, and I've seen several hundred thousand attempts. :p Absolutely astonishing what that artist has been able to achieve...

Well, in my 20+ years of working with CGI (even before we called it CGI, just "computer graphics") I've never seen a better render of a car than the one I posted above, and I've seen several hundred thousand attempts. :p Absolutely astonishing what that artist has been able to achieve...

I agree...
It seems that there are a lot of talented people out there.

Why haven't our games caught up????

I'll try to find it again, I pop in and out of 3D galleries and forums on a regular basis looking for wallpaper-worthy materials. That one caught my eye and wouldn't let go. I refused to believe it was a render for a while till the artist posted the wireframe and, well, that was the convincer. :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

Why haven't our games caught up????
Oh games have no problem catching up. Hardware's the problem.

Real-time raytracing is still not doable at decent framerates with complex scenes so it's not used in games yet (though there's a Quake 3 Raytraced project). Once you take into account that one nice render of a complex vehicle using raytraced reflections and HDRIs as lighting can take hours to render using a very fact CPU, you'll understand why games don't look that good yet. :) Hell, systems can't even run Crysis on Very High and that doesn't even have realistic reflections on everything.

Once CPUs or GPUs become about 100 times faster, we might see more raytracing, light bouncing, complex global illumination and soft shadows used in complex games. Then we'll actually have "photo-realistic" graphics...which NVIDIA and ATI have been talking about for the past 5 of so years, lol.

Back