3dMark05 hangs on first CPU test

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I just took delivery of my new XFX GeForce 6800, and before I installed it I ran 3dMark05 with my ATI 9600XT so I could find out the improvement. (Incidentally, 2050 with my setup.) I removed the ATI drivers from the system, then the card itself, then installed the XFX card and the 81.84 drivers. I then re-ran 3dMark05 and it hung on the first CPU test--the system was unresponsive. Chalking it up to driver conflicts, I took it as a good time to reinstall Windows. Same problem.

Reinstalling again but with non-beta drivers (78.01) yields the same result.

I'm rather puzzled because I can't imagine why the benchmark would be hanging on the CPU test (it's the fourth test of the overall series), especially since it ran fine previously.

Do I have a bad 6800? I certainly hope not, as my 9600XT is on its way to the graveyard and I was hoping to get some gaming in this weekend.

I installed and ran 3dMark2001SE and I'm now having a lockup on the second lobby test, just a couple of seconds in.

I also set the fan to run at 100% at all times with no success.

This is quite troubling. I think I'm going to play with the PSU connectors and see if I can isolate the card on as close to its own connector as possible...might that help?

is your processor oc'd? or gfx card? if not run driver cleaner then reinstall drivers

i see you did clean install. try running test with your cpu and ram at default. the cpu test "should" not lock up because of vid card.

Quite odd. Looks like my 100MHz overclock on the CPU (an Athlon 64 3000+) was the problem. I went to stock and now I'm running fine. Bummer, but I suppose it's okay!

Thanks for point that out, both of you. When 3dMark01 didn't run I was beginning to think it was a GPU rather than CPU problem.

1. redownload and reinstall it

2. run chkdsk in your dos prompt

3. Run memtest for a few hours

4. report problems if any

~Adam

Back