3dmark06 score very low. Theories?

Antonius

Limp Gawd
I ran 3dmark06 and got a score of 16500. That seems very low for my system, so I am wondering where the issue might be. Thoughts perhaps? I am wondering if something is wrong. I am running the newest Nvidia drivers. I am not overly obsessed with benchmark scores or anything, but I do think a score like that might represent something not working right.

i7 920 @ 3ghz
12gb Corsair Dominator DDR3
WD Raptor
Asus P6T Deluxe
2x GTX285
Win7 64 Pro

no idea.

i would google GTX285 sli review. find some game benchmark see if you have any of the same games. preform the same test and compare results.

i just googled "3dmark06 sli" and most the hits are about problems.

Was testing for dx9 performance. I have seen other people running it and scoring much higher...where I should be...in the 25000 range and up. Guess I can try 3dmark vantage and see what happens.

Ok, I ran 3dmark Vantage and got 9400. What is going on here? It shows "similar systems being in the range of 11-40k..9k is not even on the chart. Most are 23-30k.

Weird. Reinstall video card drivers, but make sure to use driver sweeper or some sort of driver cleaner in safe mode? :confused:

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your gaming performance is where it should be. The problem with 3D Mark in general is that it is synthetic nonsense which is influenced by variables that do not impact actual gaming performance. It doesn't even translate into anything real and it's numbers are purely arbitrary. In other words you can't say "Oh my system scores xxxx points in 3D Mark which means it should give me 120FPS in Crysis. Additionally the scores don't necessarily correlate between one system and another. System A may score 18,000 3D Marks and System B might show a score of 17,300 3D Marks yet System B will actually be the faster one in the real world where games are concerned.

Nothing evidenced this more than the Radeon HD 2900XT vs. GeForce 8800GTX scores. The latter card was much faster in actual games but 3D Mark told a completely different tail. And when I say the program is influenced by different variables than games are, I'm not kidding. Overclocking your CPU may score you an additional 1,000 points but in reality your 200MHz or 400MHz overclock may amount to absolutely nothing in games. Adding a PhysX capable card added points to 3D Mark but in reality this only impacts games that have support for the API.

In other words: "Who gives a shit about 3D Mark scores?" Try some actual games and see how your system performs. If it performs where it should then don't worry about it.

^ that's a very narrowminded view of 3D MARK/Benching.

If the OP had run 3D MARK when he first got his pc when all was fine and noted the score, then when he feels something is wrong later he can re-run the bench to see if it's "all in his mind" or if there is indeed something wrong with his system. Anyone can do this.

If the OP is checking his score against others with the same hardware, then roughly similar scores would be expected.

For sure some people may have identical hardware/speeds etc yet score a few points differently due to open processes etc but not by much.

I'm sure it would be a minority who would compare their Q9550/GTX285 sli with an i7-950/x1800xt setup anyway :)

Last edited:
^ that's a very narrowminded view of 3D MARK/Benching.

If the OP had run 3D MARK when he first got his pc when all was fine and noted the score, then when he feels something is wrong later he can re-run the bench to see if it's "all in his mind" or if there is indeed something wrong with his system. Anyone can do this.

It's not even worth while in that usage role. I can think of better tests which use game engines and other tests for stability. 3D Mark is useless as a tool at this point.

Maybe your cards are stuck at the 2D settings. Might want to grab a program like MSI afterburner, run vantage again and see if the shader and gpu clocks are at proper speed.

The only thing I ever use 3d Mark for is stability testing when checking my overclocks, nothing more. It's been my experience that if I can run 3D mark passes sucessfully then my rig will be stable for gaming, that and actually gaming.

In other words: "Who gives a shit about 3D Mark scores?" Try some actual games and see how your system performs. If it performs where it should then don't worry about it.

+1 Words to live by!

Cant you just run the Heaven Benchmark & see what kind of FPS your getting instead of 3dmark Scores. If your FPS are high then you should be good.

The only thing I ever use 3d Mark for is stability testing when checking my overclocks, nothing more. It's been my experience that if I can run 3D mark passes sucessfully then my rig will be stable for gaming, that and actually gaming.

I don't even think 3D Mark is good enough for that. You want something like Furmark or OCCT's GPU test.

I don't even think 3D Mark is good enough for that. You want something like Furmark or OCCT's GPU test.

This, I stopped using 3DMark about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I think at some point in time it was something to be proud of, your 3dmark score. Nowadays people realize the flaws in those benchmarks and stacking your numbers for ePeen doesn't make a game anymore fun to play.

Its always about game performance instead of a bean counter.

Back