Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Depends on my specific mood

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • No, never.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Some friends and I were talking about the 3DS (we have various originals and XL's) and I realized that none of us - NONE of us - use the 3D at all. I always assumed it was just me that left it off, but apparently its a very common thing with my friends.

So im curious, are we a anomaly or is everyone like this?

[H] 3DS users - 3d, yes or no?

Never a second without it.
The perfect 3D with no glasses was the selling point. I love it.

I usually play with it on until my hand positioning begins to shift and I start seeing crosstalk.

depends on the title, and mostly barely on or off.
the '3D' effect is mostly garbage if not looking at the screen at the perfect angle.

For a lot of games, yes. Paper Mario, Street Fighter 3D, Raving Rabbids... Yes, it makes a good difference between no 3D and having it. Paper Mario, there are some parts where having it on makes a huge difference. Street Fighter, it can annoy you at times because you lose your focus, but it's a great effect.

So, I'd say about 90/10% on 3D titles. I was a huge naysayer when the 3DS was first released. After wanting a DS for a while, I bit the bullet and bought the best in the line 3DS XL. Love it. Its not too gimmicky, and helps games out quite a bit.

Not really.

Every once in a while I'll throw it on, but that wasn't a selling feature for me.

I almost never use it because it has a small "sweet spot" viewing angle.

Have you used something like Nvidia 3d vision?

Yes, and the low hz, the fact you have to wear those things, and something else.... prevented me from enjoying that experience. Shutter glasses or whatever it is are awful and make my eyes twitch really bad.
3DS takes away all those negatives and my eyes dont twitch violently.

Odd, you're the first person that I've ever seen prefer 3d on the 3ds to an active stereoscopic 3d solution.

Odd, you're the first person that I've ever seen prefer 3d on the 3ds to an active stereoscopic 3d solution.

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

I've got a 3D Vision setup with active glasses and a 120Hz monitor and it's way better than the 3D on my 3DS XL.

I also find that I can tolerate 3D less on the 3DS. Seems like my eyes eventually go cross-eyed or something, and everything ends up blurry for a while.

It happens with every Sony 3D TV, Nvidia 3D Vision product that I have tried up to now.
To me it seems like the refresh is extremely low, at least thats what it seems like. Like looking at an old SDTV below 60hz. Happens everytime, and I can't last more than 5 min with those glasses. 120hz monitors and all. Its the shutter tech... maybe if they increase the hz on the glasses? Maybe thats not the cause... No, thats exactly it. Makes my eyes twitch like mad.

I don't like the double image effect with 3d on. You can see sort of a ghost effect to the left and right of bright pixels.

I bought mine for Fire Emblem & Etrian Odyssey IV. Not for the 3d part really.

I have used it before, very seldom though. Not my cup of tea.

I play with the 3D always on. Why wouldn't I? Stereoscopic 3D gaming is the bees knees. I didn't by a 3D system to play in 2D, you know.

I have it on every time I play.
Unless I'm playing a GBC virtual console game, of course. Fuckin' love Zelda....

Oh, it's worth pointing out that game developers weren't very good at getting the 3D effect set up correctly until the second year the system was out. Pilotwings Resort gave me problems no matter where I put the 3D slider, whereas Resident Evil Revelations and anything newer is damn near perfect.

I use it as often as I can. However , it depends on how well developers actually made the games around 3D and some games have so much ghost imagery from poorly implemented 3D that I have to turn it off.

But I do find it enhances the experiences when it works. I think considering the system is designed around a 3D experience you should probably use it whenever you can tolerate it.

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

I've got a 3D Vision setup with active glasses and a 120Hz monitor and it's way better than the 3D on my 3DS XL.

I also find that I can tolerate 3D less on the 3DS. Seems like my eyes eventually go cross-eyed or something, and everything ends up blurry for a while.

That's because its an active shutter which gives you a MUCH better 3D image than passive parallax which is what the 3DS uses.

You can get use to the 3DS effect , just give your brain a few days to adjust and you'll no longer have problems with it especially considering you use Nvision without issue. Some people however can never get use to it and simply can't use it.

I do like the 3D effect, it's much more immersive on the bigger 3DS XL than the original 3DS. Just wish that the 3D viewing angle wasn't so damn narrow, I turn my head a tiny bit and I lose the 3D effect. But it works pretty well in practice, though admittedly I turn off the 3D after a while to save the battery (and my neck).

Anyone with stereoscopic vision difficulty use it?

I was legally blind in one eye for about 10 years so I haven't been able to see real life 3D in about as long. I recently had laser surgery and have nearly 20/20 in both eyes now, but have to retrain my eyes to work together again in order to get 3D again. Will prob pick up a 3DS for this, but would like to know if anyone else has had similar issue and used it.

the 3d is fun! i'm actually really excited to try it out in lttp2.

does anyone have any impressions of the 3d on the original model versus the xl? i've only played the original.

Back