3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Announcement Delayed

not to even mention the review embargo isn't until nov 19th so big woop..

If the 3900x is any indication it’ll be out of stock until 2021 anyways. ;)

I hope you guys are quick on the trigger when it does launch. I am still tempted to grab this damn thing even though I have no use for it lol.

Do we need to bring up Intel's delays of and shortages of 10nm? Or... maybe we can just stop being surprised by delays, haha... It is news, though. ('dem comments, tho...)

If the 3900x is any indication it’ll be out of stock until 2021 anyways. ;)

I hope you guys are quick on the trigger when it does launch. I am still tempted to grab this damn thing even though I have no use for it lol.

I'm betting the "availability" issue with the 3900X is due to additional binning taking place for the 3950X and TR/Epyc chips...I don't mind that at all...

Has anyone heard what "time" tomorrow the new release will happen? Getting kinda antsy here...

Reactions: erek
like this
They sent that email out nearly a day ago. What's a few days.. Probably to cockblock the 99991809080EXESKS EE KFC ring bus flop edition.

Chick who was running it was a dev on KOTOR which I thought was pretty cool.

Do we need to bring up Intel's delays of and shortages of 10nm? Or... maybe we can just stop being surprised by delays, haha... It is news, though. ('dem comments, tho...)
upload_2019-11-6_17-15-22.png

^^ nice pic from reddit ^^
though guessing it came from wccftech ...

Yes Nov 7th at 930am EST embargo lifts.

Expect reviews in 10 hours from the timestamp of this reply. I think sales start on the 19th. So much confusion out there I know, I know!

Excited?

Waiting to see if my ol' faithful 1950X gets a replacement. I want something that will play Doom Eternal at 120 FPS but also render 4k cycles in minutes in Blender.

Waiting to see if my ol' faithful 1950X gets a replacement. I want something that will play Doom Eternal at 120 FPS but also render 4k cycles in minutes in Blender.
I am sure 3900x can do that if You are not waiting for TR3 specifically.

I was assuming it was the 7th due to a bunch of previous releases being on the 7th (Radeon VII - February 7th, Ryzen 3000 and Navi - July 7th, EPYC 7002 - August 7th). Something about emphasizing the 7nm thing I reckon...

25th of November 2019. Can we lock in a guaranteed pre-order at any outlets?

usually when the company is being associated with the better product (obviously the amd chip), the other doesn't complain since it can end up with people mistaking their crappy one for the better one.

It's when it happens in the opposite direction that companies get lawsuit happy.

"...whether you're talking about video editing...," "I am very happy to say that third gen Threadripper will be faster in every single workload..."

So AMD fixed this "small" issue? Faster than what exactly?

View attachment 198173

what that showed was that the windows scheduler was garbage for high core count cpu's (at least at the time that test was run) . It also could be (and is likely) showing that the codec and adobe software in general is dubious at best when talking about optimization and performance scaling.

The overwhelming number of benchmarks run will show the 2990 scaling well and performing very well. The exceptions usually always point to a fault in the software used, not the hardware being tested.

what that showed was that the windows scheduler was garbage for high core count cpu's (at least at the time that test was run) . It also could be (and is likely) showing that the codec and adobe software in general is dubious at best when talking about optimization and performance scaling.

The overwhelming number of benchmarks run will show the 2990 scaling well and performing very well. The exceptions usually always point to a fault in the software used, not the hardware being tested.
I am not saying that is not the problem, however, the problem was never directly addressed by AMD. AMD did tell me at CES that this was part of the problem.

However, saying your product is great at video editing and does not run one of the biggest video editing programs on the planet, is not on point with me and never has been.

AMD needs to give us answers on this and be upfront and honest.

This is the answer I just got from AMD on Twitter, and interestingly, it does not exist in what I am seeing published by AMD.

usually when the company is being associated with the better product (obviously the amd chip), the other doesn't complain since it can end up with people mistaking their crappy one for the better one.

It's when it happens in the opposite direction that companies get lawsuit happy.

If that were true then the 8-series Xeon Platinum processors would have exhibited the same issues. But it didn't. We never got an official answer on what the issue was, as far as I know, but from what I read it was due to AMD's chiplet design and Windows needed to be changed to see its configuration.

128mb cache good lawdy!

I'll be posting a 3600 rig and 3900x setup fs as soon as reviews drop the good news!

I am not saying that is not the problem, however, the problem was never directly addressed by AMD. AMD did tell me at CES that this was part of the problem.

However, saying your product is great at video editing and does not run one of the biggest video editing programs on the planet, is not on point with me and never has been.

AMD needs to give us answers on this and be upfront and honest.

This is the answer I just got from AMD on Twitter, and interestingly, it does not exist in what I am seeing published by AMD.

Supposedly the CCX fix was rolled out as part of the Windows 10 1903 update, this fixed a number of issues but there are more to fix which have been identified by AMD as a chipset issue and they stated they would have a new driver soon to match. Many are speculating that the chipset / bios updates for the new chips contain the bulk of those fixes.

Last edited:
Supposedly the CCX fix was rolled out as part of the Windows 10 1903 update, this fixed a number of issues but there are more to fix which have been identified by AMD as a chipset issue and they stated they would have a new driver soon to match. Many are speculating that the chipset / bios updates for the new chips contain the bulk of those fixes.
So I got my question in directly at Robert while he was on the Full Nerd. He ducked it on Twitter.

If they are still making and pushing 2nd Gen TR, I would really like to know if the recent scheduler fixes in windows (previously talked about on the show today) addresses Premiere Pro and Hand Brake PENALTIES in 2nd Gen Threadrippers.

Robert said maybe, but they had not tested it and he did not know. That tells me they don't care, or they do not see the importance of people using PPro. Meh.

So I got my question in directly at Robert while he was on the Full Nerd. He ducked it on Twitter.

If they are still making and pushing 2nd Gen TR, I would really like to know if the recent scheduler fixes in windows (previously talked about on the show today) addresses Premiere Pro and Hand Brake PENALTIES in 2nd Gen Threadrippers.

Robert said maybe, but they had not tested it and he did not know. That tells me they don't care, or they do not see the importance of people using PPro. Meh.
Looking more into it AGESA 1.1.0.2 paired with 19.10 or newer seems to have fixed a lot of issues and the remarkably few 2990wx users who are posting say that they notice very large improvements. I can't find any updated benchmarks though.

Not to distract from the current line of questioning, but as an aside, I've used Davinci Resolve which seems to have better hardware support. Also, it's not Adobe, and as I use plenty of Adobe on a regular basis, I count being not Adobe as a positive.

Not to distract from the current line of questioning, but as an aside, I've used Davinci Resolve which seems to have better hardware support. Also, it's not Adobe, and as I use plenty of Adobe on a regular basis, I count being not Adobe as a positive.
OK. Thanks.

Back