3Ware controller card

ottozylch46

Weaksauce
For my home file server, I currently have a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 card connected to eight HD's. I might be able to pick up a relatively cheap 3Ware 9500S 8-port PCI card. Would adding this card in pose any problems with my current setup? I am running Win7 Ultimate as a OS.

Looking to find out if this is even a decent card to have. I file serve to my HTPC to the main TV, and an additional 1-2 computers may be accessing at the same time.

Thanks much.

The 9500S uses PCI-X, in order to get the full use out you will need to get the ports which are becoming kinda scarce.

Might give it a shot then. They are in PCI slots, not looking for any speed records or anything. The Supermicro seems to work just fine, no stuttering or any signs of streaming troubles.
Just asking people's opinions about this particular version from 3Ware. Or would I be better off to just get another Supermicro card?

If your gonna use it as JBOD its probably ok but I would stay the hell away from 3ware if your actually going to use the raid functions on it. Software raid will be faster than 3ware's hardware raid not to mention far more reliable.

Then from what most are saying, it should suit my needs fine? Just looking for the ability to add additional drives and stream media. Major concern was it's ability to play nice with Win7 (or WHS) and my existing SuperMicro card.
Thanks for everyone's response.

3Ware cards are rock solid but they are slower (when using Raid) than other cards. If you just need a card for extra drives it will work well for you.

Back