4.004Ghz on Q9550 C1 & Asus P5Q Deluxe

jimbo6846

Gawd
After much hard work, endless late nights and many, many headaches... I've finally been able to get my system to 4Ghz. I let Prime95 run Blend for 10 hours to test for stability, no errors. I also ran IntelBurnTest afterwards, against my better judgement. I knew that IBT would cause my temps to skyrocket. They were still within safety spec, though. And IBT passed as well. Anyway, here are some screens. I'll also include my BIOS settings for others who may be curious, or who may also have a similar setup and want to try the settings I used.

1) Prime95 Blend at just passed 9 hours
2) Prime95 Blend at just passed 9.5 hours
3) Prime95 Blend at just passed 10 hours
4) Prime95 Blend stopped at just passed 10 hours. No Errors
5) IntelBurnTest with 5 passes.

4004Mhz9hourPrime95Blendsmall.jpg

4004Mhz975hourPrime95Blendsmall.jpg

4004Mhz10hourPrime95Blendsmall.jpg

4004Mhz10hourPrime95Blend2small.jpg

4004MhzIntelBurnTestwaytoohotsmall.jpg

What's the widget on your sidebar? I think I want it :p And, where's your bios settings? I have my 9550 @ 3.825, but have been unable to get 4.0 stable.

What's the widget on your sidebar? I think I want it :p And, where's your bios settings? I have my 9550 @ 3.825, but have been unable to get 4.0 stable.

That's the OSD Panel from Everest Ultimate Edition. That's actually not the Vista Sidebar version, though Everest has one specifically for the Sidebar as well. I prefer the OSD Panel though, because it's slightly wider (so things don't overlap and run onto a second line) and it doesn't require me to have the Sidebar up if I don't want it. Note that you still have to have Everest running in the background for the Sidebar gadget to work.

BIOS settings incoming...

FSB Frequency: 471
PCIE Frequency: 101
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 333
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-943Mhz
DRAM CLK Skews: All Auto
DRAM Timing Control: All Auto, defaulted to 5-5-5-15
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: Disabled
MEM. OC Charger: Disabled
Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto, defaulted to 13

CPU Voltage: 1.3625
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2): 0.675x
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3): 0.680x
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40
DRAM Voltage: 2.10
NB Voltage: 1.40
NB GTL Reference: 0.660x
SB Voltage: Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage: Auto

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement: Optimized

C1E Support: Disabled
Legacy USB Support: Disabled

Remember, these settings may not work for everyone. Another person with the exact same setup may have to use slightly different settings, especially CPU voltage. Not all CPU's are the same, each one is different.

I think I'm going to give mine another shot based on your settings. My C1 does 3.8GHz rock solid without a problem, but as soon as I go up to 4GHz I hit a wall regardless of the voltage I pump through it. You're using higher NB and VTT voltages than I tried, so maybe that'll do it.

I think I'm going to give mine another shot based on your settings. My C1 does 3.8GHz rock solid without a problem, but as soon as I go up to 4GHz I hit a wall regardless of the voltage I pump through it. You're using higher NB and VTT voltages than I tried, so maybe that'll do it.

I had to fiddle with the GTL's, too. Also, I have a modded BIOS 1403. I'm not sure if that affected CPU OC'ability, but it allowed me to add another ~10Mhz to my RAM OC (went from 1057 to 1066)

I'm still using the BIOS my board came with (1004), but it's been rock stable so far so I've had no need to update it. I'm not bothering with overclocking my RAM either, since it's a lot of work for what essentially amounts to no gain. I'm definitely going to tinker some more with my CPU over the weekend though.

I'm still using the BIOS my board came with (1004), but it's been rock stable so far so I've had no need to update it. I'm not bothering with overclocking my RAM either, since it's a lot of work for what essentially amounts to no gain. I'm definitely going to tinker some more with my CPU over the weekend though.

Cool, let me know how it goes. And good luck :)

UPDATE: Well, I may have fooled myself on this one. I'm still having stability issues, even after 10 hours of Prime95. After upping the FSB to 472 (4.012Ghz) and having one of the cores fail after 30 minutes, I rebooted and brought the FSB back down to 471 and tweaked the RAM settings. After logging into windows and starting up Prime95, I crashed after 3 seconds. :( Thinking it may be a ram problem, I loaded my saved OC profile with the settings that passed Prime for 10 hours, and crashed 3 seconds after starting Prime. This happened when I tried 470 FSB (3.995Ghz) and upping the CPU GTL (0/2) voltage seemed to fix it. 10 hours of Prime later, and I was feeling pretty confident... :confused:

Anyway, I'm thinking one or two more notches of CPU voltage will fix it. I know I'm already at max safe limit of recommended voltage. But since this isn't a 24/7 OC, I'm considering trying it out and seeing if that's the problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanx so much for posting your bios settings.

I'm having a ridiculously hard time getting things truely stable @ anything over 450 FSB.

It's not the CPU or RAM, it's the damn FSB...so hard to get it to pass P95 Blend or Large as it always errors or locks up for me eventually.

I've been trying so many different settings for VTT/VNB & their respective GTLs, not to mention CPU/NB skews, i feel i am going insane as nothing is working.

I will try your settings, thanx again.

Back