4:3 monitor, can i get 16:9 with the black bars in lieu of stretching?

i_am_mustang_man

Limp Gawd
i have a samsung 204b lcd, 1600x1200

i would like to try 1600x900 to test out widescreen, but, when i do that, it stretches the vertical part. can i get it to display 16:9 ratio always with black bars at top and bottom? i feel like it should be easy to do, but have not been able to come up with anything.

very easy to do, here are the steps for the classic control panel:

1. Right click the desktop and select "Properties".
2. Click the "Settings" tab.
3. Click the "Advanced" button.
4. Click the "7900GTO" tab.
5. From the left menu, click "nView Display Settings".
6. Click the "Device Settings" button and select "Device Adjustments".
7. Click the "Fixed aspect ratio scaling" radio button.
8. Click "Apply"

Done, when you set a non-4:3 resolution you will get black bars.

I've got the same monitor and prefer Oblivion @ 1600 x 900. I had the same issue, but fixed it by messing aroudn with all the scaling options.

It's also the reason I'm afraid to go ATi, they don't have scaling support and blame it on the monitors, but if nVidia can fix it in their drivers...

I've got the same monitor and prefer Oblivion @ 1600 x 900. I had the same issue, but fixed it by messing aroudn with all the scaling options.

It's also the reason I'm afraid to go ATi, they don't have scaling support and blame it on the monitors, but if nVidia can fix it in their drivers...

QFT. I heard that song and dance when I had my x800 and a widescreen notebook. ATI claimed it was the LCD panel's fault, and yet the go 6800's in that same exact series of notebooks could do Fixed Aspect Ratio scaling.

My conclusion was that ATI didn't care or didn't know how to fix it. I haven't bought anything with ATI in it since then. I don't go running around bashing ATI, or saying they are crap, but when it comes time to buy, I would have to think very very carefully before going with them again. Their failure to fix that particular problem never set well with me.

6. Click the "Device Settings" button and select "Device Adjustments".
I've seen write up like this before but for me there is no "Device Adjustments" in "Device Settings" button/menu.

This reminds me to try this sort of thing again to get black-bars on the left/right on my widescreen monitor while playing at 800x600 on old games. I saw a different way to do that I will have to dig up.

After playing around (unselecting "Treat Digital Display as HDTV" for one thing) it does show up now. I did get one BSOD after playing around but it does seem to work now where I get black bars on the sides when setting a game at non-WS resolution.

Where are any of these settings in the new CP? I just got my first NV card in months and I can't find any of the scaling options mentioned here. That's with the newest drivers off the NV site.

It looks to me like the new ones don't even give you the option for the classic style layout?

Back