4.9 Beta Catalyst Drivers Out. (For Doom 3)

I'll let you be the guinea pig first, let us know how they do :)

I've been running the 4.8 betas and I've been pleased with the performance. gameplay and IQ is noticeably better than the 4.7's (at least in ravenshield)

Ok after a quick run through some deathmatch levels, I've gained roughly 3-6fps. Was easy to compare cause I have a friend with the same exact system as mine and using the 4.7 cats. Will test some more stuff later.

- D.

*prays for better opengl preformance* once i get my main rig back up doom3 will be my first purchase.

(not an upgrade just for doom3 though)

o and the 4.7 cats suck

sweet, stuff like this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :D haha

doom3 = scary :eek:

With the 4.7 cats Call of Duty completely locks up, just like in their older sets. Anyone know if this fixes that?

I thought they sucked too... wierd edge problems in FarCry.... 4.6's work fine..

Ok I just tested these drivers on my x800 VIVO@xt-pe:

Game Config
Ultra High Quality
Vsync Off
1280x1024 resolution
TIMEDEMO 1

Catalyst 4.8b Results
FPS: 60.2

Catalysts 4.9b Results
FPS 66.3

Definitely a very nice increase for x800 series cards, thanks ATi! Hopefully they can continue to crank up the OGL performance through drivers for all ATi cards.

Xenozx said:
damn looks like an act of desperation...

:confused: you would rather have them NOT make any driver releases? At least they're trying to make their cards faster rather than doing nothing and saying screw you consumers, which isn't uncommon with some hardware (i.e. motherboard support). Yes the drivers are beta's, but that's just saying to me "hey, we're working on new drivers to help D3 performance and here's what we got so far, try them out at your own discretion."

It usually takes competition from another company (nvidia in this case) to wake another company up and get their act together. Ati did it to nvidia with the 9700pro and nvidia is doing it to ati right now with the 6800's (although to a lesser degree IMO)

MFZ said:
Ok I just tested these drivers on my x800 VIVO@xt-pe:

Game Config
Ultra High Quality
Vsync Off
1280x1024 resolution
TIMEDEMO 1

Catalyst 4.8b Results
FPS: 60.2

Catalysts 4.9b Results
FPS 66.3

Definitely a very nice increase for x800 series cards, thanks ATi! Hopefully they can continue to crank up the OGL performance through drivers for all ATi cards.

That's on doom3 ? WOW that's an improvement, 6 fps already, on Ultra Quality??? Very nice, thanks.

So is that a x800Pro OCed to XTpe clock speeds? Or an orginal XTPE???

Edit: ooh that's not doom3 then... :O

Substantial gains on my 9800 Pro 256Mb. Running timdemo demo1 on high quality 1024x768 I got 45fps, now I get 52fps. System:

Mobile 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz/400fsb
1Gb Twinmos
Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb 445/750
Asus A7N8X

Haven't tested it much, can't vouch for image quality/bugs....

These are the drivers that ATi used for the id benchmarks. 4.7 Cats = 8.03, [H] D3 guide done on 8.05s => 4.9 Cats...

GJ to ATi for getting these out for D3, very nice of them...

I just upgraded to 4.9 and here are my results:

All tests done at 1600x1200 and in game "Ultra High" settings. The windows settings for the OpenGL drivers were set to "balanced" and the AA settings were changed in game only. I ran each demo twice and then used the second score since the first one is always low due to texture loading slowdowns.

No AA - Cat4.7 = 47.7fps
No AA - Cat4.9 = 50.0fps
+2.3fps, +4.8%

2xAA - Cat4.7 = 39.1fps
2xAA - Cat4.9 = 42.4fps
+3.3fps, +8.4%

4xAA - Cat4.7 = 28.3fps
4xAA - Cat4.9 = 32.5fps
+4.2fps, +14.8%

So it appears that the biggest benefit will be seen by turning up AA, and considering that with the old drivers the game was fully playable on my system at 1600x1200xUltra, adding in 2xAA should probably still be playable (for me atleast, in this kind of game 40+ is usually fine, YMMV).

BTW, My system specs are:
MoBo -- ABIT KV8 Pro
CPU -- AMD 64 3000+ Newcastle @ 225mhz
Video Card -- ATI Radeon x800XT-Platinum Edition @ 537/558
RAM -- 1GB Kingston DDR PC-3200 (single stick)
Hdrive = 2xHitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA (Raid 0)

Cali3350 said:
With the 4.7 cats Call of Duty completely locks up, just like in their older sets. Anyone know if this fixes that?

Maybe for you, but I've NEVER had a problem with CoD in any Cat version.

arentol said:
I just upgraded to 4.9 and here are my results:

All tests done at 1600x1200 and in game "Ultra High" settings. The windows settings for the OpenGL drivers were set to "balanced" and the AA settings were changed in game only. I ran each demo twice and then used the second score since the first one is always low due to texture loading slowdowns.

No AA - Cat4.7 = 47.7fps
No AA - Cat4.9 = 50.0fps
+2.3fps, +4.8%

2xAA - Cat4.7 = 39.1fps
2xAA - Cat4.9 = 42.4fps
+3.3fps, +8.4%

4xAA - Cat4.7 = 28.3fps
4xAA - Cat4.9 = 32.5fps
+4.2fps, +14.8%

So it appears that the biggest benefit will be seen by turning up AA, and considering that with the old drivers the game was fully playable on my system at 1600x1200xUltra, adding in 2xAA should probably still be playable (for me atleast, in this kind of game 40+ is usually fine, YMMV).

MoBo -- ABIT KV8 Pro

Seems like thats what Hardocp got on thier benchs too give or take 1 fps as they used the 4.9 betas

Blad3 said:
That's on doom3 ? WOW that's an improvement, 6 fps already, on Ultra Quality??? Very nice, thanks.

So is that a x800Pro OCed to XTpe clock speeds? Or an orginal XTPE???

Edit: ooh that's not doom3 then... :O

Yeah it is doom 3. ;) Its a VIVO (16 pipes out of the box)@XT PE speeds.

I got about 2-3 more fps on my lowly 9000 pro 128mb...so I would give the beta a thumbs up.

And yes 4.7 did have problems, it messed farcry and DOD up a little for me. 4.6 cats are better than 4.7.

arentol said:

MoBo -- ABIT KV8 Pro

With your system you can play Doom3 at 1600x1200 Ultra Quality 4xaa??? What???

*takes medication for ati vs nvidia anxiety...* :p

MFZ said:
Yeah it is doom 3. ;) Its a VIVO (16 pipes out of the box)@XT PE speeds.

So can you play d00m3, 1600x1200, 4xAA, Ultra Quality with your system? What is your system again?

lol this is driving me mad - so are we saying you CAN play on Ultra Quality 1600x1200, 4xAA just fine in Doom3 with the x800xt pe on a 3+Ghz/3000+, 1Gb system???

Blad3 said:
So can you play d00m3, 1600x1200, 4xAA, Ultra Quality with your system? What is your system again?

lol this is driving me mad - so are we saying you CAN play on Ultra Quality 1600x1200, 4xAA just fine in Doom3 with the x800xt pe on a 3+Ghz/3000+, 1Gb system???

The problem here is the fluctuating concept of "playable". According to the [H] D3 guide, even with an FX-53 the XTPE was dipping down to 25fps at 16x12 in HIGH quality mode, much less ULTRA. Not to mention at the same settings the vanilla 6800 was getting a minimum framerate of about 28fps...and yes that's the $299 6800NU.

^eMpTy^ said:
The problem here is the fluctuating concept of "playable". According to the [H] D3 guide, even with an FX-53 the XTPE was dipping down to 25fps at 16x12 in HIGH quality mode, much less ULTRA. Not to mention at the same settings the vanilla 6800 was getting a minimum framerate of about 28fps...and yes that's the $299 6800NU.

I know man but people are saying they can play just fine with the XTPE/UQ/16x12/4AA, to me that would be "playable", although I'd have to see it...

Well, I've only run around in a few deathmatch levels, and so far it seems that I will not be using AA in Doom. (@ 1600x1200)

- D.

Blad3 said:
I know man but people are saying they can play just fine with the XTPE/UQ/16x12/4AA, to me that would be "playable", although I'd have to see it...

In my opinion if it dips below 30fps, that's not playable. Cuz when's it gonna dip? When there's a whole bunch of things trying to kill you...and when is the time you want the smoothest framerate possible? When there's a whole bunch of things trying to kill you.

According to the [H] D3 guide, the XTPE cannot stay above 25fps in high quality mode without ANY AA...and magically with a slower processor someone is running in Ultra mode with 4xaa and it's playable? What do you think?

^eMpTy^ said:
In my opinion if it dips below 30fps, that's not playable. Cuz when's it gonna dip? When there's a whole bunch of things trying to kill you...and when is the time you want the smoothest framerate possible? When there's a whole bunch of things trying to kill you.

According to the [H] D3 guide, the XTPE cannot stay above 25fps in high quality mode without ANY AA...and magically with a slower processor someone is running in Ultra mode with 4xaa and it's playable? What do you think?

Yes true FPS is only relevant when fighting, and I'm in disbelief that anyone can play properly on a lower machine than the HardOCP guide one :confused:

Blad3 said:
With your system you can play Doom3 at 1600x1200 Ultra Quality 4xaa??? What???

*takes medication for ati vs nvidia anxiety...* :p

On my system I have already played 4 or 5 levels of the game at 1600x1200xnoAAxUltra Quality. I just got the new drivers and, although I haven't actually played with 2xAA I believe I will be comfortable playing with that setting based on the FPS amounts I am getting while benchmarking.

I can NOT play at 1600x1200x4AAxUltra Quality on my PC, but I am pretty sure that a 6800Ultra could with an even more powerful processor than I have.

There is an issue on all current videocards with using the "ultra setting" though. As the benchmark report here on [H] mentions, Ultra settings require more than 256mb of RAM on your videocard to load up all the textures for an entire level. So when I am playing on "ultra" and I enter a room with a large number of new textures that the system has to suddenly swap in I will drop to about 5fps for 1 to 2 seconds. So far this has been a non-issue because I have never been in combat at the same time this has happened. It may be an issue some day, but if it is I can go back to my last save and then the next time I go in the room the textures will already be loaded and I won't get any slowdown.
(BTW, this texture size issue is the only real issue with Ultra settings for anyone with a high end GPU).

Blad3 said:

Who is saying this? So far nobody on this thread has. Can you perhaps link to someone who has said they could?

Well Xbitlabs noted that Doom 3 take a major hit by applying aa and aniso so that would explain why it´s so playable without it ;)

arentol said:
On my system I have already played 4 or 5 levels of the game at 1600x1200xnoAAxUltra Quality. I just got the new drivers and, although I haven't actually played with 2xAA I believe I will be comfortable playing with that setting based on the FPS amounts I am getting while benchmarking.

I can NOT play at 1600x1200x4AAxUltra Quality on my PC, but I am pretty sure that a 6800Ultra could with an even more powerful processor than I have.

There is an issue on all current videocards with using the "ultra setting" though. As the benchmark report here on [H] mentions, Ultra settings require more than 256mb of RAM on your videocard to load up all the textures for an entire level. So when I am playing on "ultra" and I enter a room with a large number of new textures that the system has to suddenly swap in I will drop to about 5fps for 1 to 2 seconds. So far this has been a non-issue because I have never been in combat at the same time this has happened. It may be an issue some day, but if it is I can go back to my last save and then the next time I go in the room the textures will already be loaded and I won't get any slowdown.
(BTW, this texture size issue is the only real issue with Ultra settings for anyone with a high end GPU).

Very interesting.

With the "XTPE/UQ/16x12...", you said you thought you could play with 2xaa as well, so it wasn't too much of an exsaggeration, it was just to confirm what you meant exactly...

People with faster machines' than your's probably can play with 4xAA plus everything else on a XTPE, that would be a logcial guess from what you're saying/implying...

Doom3 locked up for me with 4.7s, well not locked up, just booted to desktop. I couldn't even make it out of the intro scene with the grid of the spaceship coming into orbit. I tried it on both 640x800 and 1024x768 <--(what i run all my games on). Running a 9500 np, stock, on 2500+ @ 200x10.

I installed the 4.9 betas and it hasn't crashed yet, 1024x768... but I've only walked around for about 10 minutes. I also changed the cacheMegs setting to 128. Looks nice and the 4.9s seemed to have made the difference.

heh good point. I say a screenshot (FRAPS) is in order here. Considering i am still waiting on buying my next-gen card, this type of discussion is perfect.

this drivers should be newer then the ones used in id's benchmarking, since this drivers have a build date of 27/7 id's benchmarking was published 20/7

Blad3 said:
Very interesting.

With the "XTPE/UQ/16x12...", you said you thought you could play with 2xaa as well, so it wasn't too much of an exsaggeration, it was just to confirm what you meant exactly...

People with faster machines' than your's probably can play with 4xAA plus everything else on a XTPE, that would be a logcial guess from what you're saying/implying...

I am sure they could if they were happy with 40'ish FPS average. They would need a 4ghz/3900+ CPU, and their x800XT-PE overclocked to about 560/575 or maybe even higher (Mine will do that when the ambient temp is low, too hot this summer though).

Personally I am hoping that there will be a patch with 3Dc support. That should basically allow x800 users to run the game at high quality speeds with essentially Ultra quality visuals.

In all honesty though, the game looks fantastic at 1024x768xHigh quality with no AA, so anything your system can get you beyond that is pure cake.

I just downloaded these and installed them and they made my fps much worse for some reason :confused: My 1024x768 high detail went from 31 fps with the omega 3.7's to 24 fps with the cat 3.9b. I reinstalled the omega 3.7's and my framerates went right back up. Anyone know why this would happen?

Back