4 Port KVM that works with Logitech MX mice?

ReelMcCoy

Limp Gawd
Can anyone suggest a decent/good 4 port usb or ps/2 KVM that'll let all the wonderful features of Logitech's drivers work? Just got a new MX1000 and SetPoint won't even display a MyMouse tab to configure the mouse with the mouse plugged into a Raritan 4 port PS/2 KVM. :\ If there's a way to force their blasted drivers to a fixed hardware config, that'd rock. But if not, I'll replace the KVM if I knew of one that'll work and have good video quality.

Thanks

Ok... I've never actually used a KVM before but since no one has posted in this thread i'll say what I've heard.

I've heard that the USB KVMs don't suffer from this problem so maybe look into one of those.

Maybe someome else in the forums who has used one could elaborate or confirm this.

edit:
I just had a look at a nice looking USB 4 port KVM over at Newegg and from the feedback section it looks like that one is showing MX500 mice as HID complient mice so the buttons arn't working on it hmmm...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-404&depa=0

I bet this one might work though...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-402&depa=0

The reason I say that is the description on the back of the box. It sounds like it'd act more as a passthrough (at least on 2 of the ports).
Share a monitor, USB keyboard, USB mouse, and two more USB devices among four computers.

I'd think for those two USB devices to function they would have to not show up as generic USB devices on your host computers.

This sounds like your confirmation in this review.
I picked this up, works perfectly with my Logitech Cordless MX Duo in windows.

Sweet! I did take a look at NewEgg before I posted in hopes others might offer some other alternatives just in case.

Thanks for the info. It's appreciated!

I just finished researching a new KVM myself....

The 102 (2 port) and 104 (4 port) work well with the extra buttons...

but not for the reason you might think.

There is NO mouse or keyboard emulation in the kvm, so unless the kvm is oriented towards the booting pc, that pc will not think it has a keyboard and mouse attached as it boots. (So in most cases, you just go into the bios and tell it to ignore keyboard errors...)

When you switch the KVM to a pc, its like you just plugged the keyboard and mouse in to that pc... and you have to wait for windows to see the two new devices, the drivers to wake up and configure, etc. (This can take several seconds, of course) So if you have to switch back and forth quickly, say to double-check things, you can make your systems angry, since it would be like you were plugging the stuff in, and then unplugging them again before the driver init was completed. (as you toggle through the boxes, this is what they would experience)

Finally, note that unlike most other KVM's, these two KVM's have NO keyboard shortcuts to change the orientation of the KVM, you have to use the button on the front of the KVM.

Oh, the two 'passthrough' ports he mentions above are for sharing usb devices such as printers.

All that said, they are the only two USB KVM's that I've found that will allow you to use all the extra buttons on the spiffy new keyboards and mice.

i have an iogear MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch
GCS632U. 2 port usb kvm. Both my logitech kb, and mx510 mouse show up as the proper devices under winxp. Their drivers work fine, and i can use all my extra buttons. When i toggle which machine it is connected to, i do get a ding that makes it sound like some usb device is being removed.

I *think* the other iogear usb kvm's support logitechs, etc, but im not sure.

Mine also has built in cables, which is pretty nice.

ambientZ said:
i have an iogear MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch
GCS632U. 2 port usb kvm. Both my logitech kb, and mx510 mouse show up as the proper devices under winxp. Their drivers work fine, and i can use all my extra buttons. When i toggle which machine it is connected to, i do get a ding that makes it sound like some usb device is being removed.

I *think* the other iogear usb kvm's support logitechs, etc, but im not sure.

Mine also has built in cables, which is pretty nice.
same here

cept mx700

Thanks again for the info. I have one e-mail out to a product vendor of my current KVM (Raritan) that now has a USB version with emulation to see just what they're emulating (more than likely basic keyboard and mouse functionality). But if it isn't, I might give it a try. But the IOGear model is sitting pretty in a Newegg order basket ready and waiting. :) One reason I prefer the Raritan is that it should have a button for each system rather than one with no hotkeys to switch. :)

Back