$400 bucks and feeling a bit lazy =)

gwai lo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a LCD to replace this clunky old CRT. 19" sure weigh a lot when you're dragging it around to LANs and this thing (I'm sure) adds a couple degrees to my room, which kind of sucks during summertime..

Anyway, my senior year is coming to an end. Time to head off to college, so I'm going to need to pick up something soon to replace this thing anyway. I know I know...get a laptop for college...but I want a desktop around in case I need teh powa. ;) I'll have my dad's several year old laptop anyway to drag around for mobile computing...anyway I digress.

I'm thinking 400 bucks for this sucker (wanted a new rig too, once a gamer always a gamer). Going to budget 1500 for the box and being a poor high school, soon to be college student...I don't want to blow too much money. Yes I know "save your 2000 for college you'll need it", but this is money I'm working for now. I have a job, so I'll have extra money in my account for this coming year. I'm budgeting 2000 for this rig (kind of want an upgrade already) and I've thought it out already. No need to lecture me on what would be a better alternative, this is just one of those I-need-upgrade things. ;)

So, yes. $400, gaming box, normal usage stuff, big would be good...after using a 19" for three years what do you think? If the type of games matter at all (I don't think it should, but I'm including too much information just in case), it'll be everything across the board. I'm eyeing the Viewsonic 2025, was going to poke around a little later, just wanted input from other people out there. People > google...sometimes.

There isn't something about to come up, in that price range, that will kill whatever is out today, is there? *cough* Conroe *cough* :p

Just wanted to double check with you guys. I do lots of reading into processors, RAM, overclocking, all that other good stuff. Not much into displays though, only so much time to go around. =/ On top of homework -__-

hmm..that was a rather long post.

CLIFFNOTES
400 bucks
Games
>19" preferrably

Thanks in advance.

1) Wait for revisioned 2007s..if you want
2) Wait for Conroe
3) Wait for DX10 cards
4) Wait til August, no need to buy now
5) $1500 will get you pretty far, in 3 months time

I can handle the computer...I threaded it in there for some reason...

I was just thinking displays now because displays don't move as fast as the core hardware and because I have a couple more trips in the next couple months with this rig and I'm tired of it already and this CRT seriously makes my desk area really warm..

When are the "new" 2007's expected?

I think there was a thread earlier..and supposed they were getting a new batch in 4 weeks or something? It'll definitely be before you go to school anyways. You can live with a CRT for a few more months if it means getting a better LCD. Or you can get a 2007FPW, bitch at the CSR, then get the CSR to replace it later. But you better bitch at them hard because they'll deny the "banding" and "fuzzy text" as problems. ;)

Back