43,000+ Gamers Call For Communication From Valve

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you wondering where the hell Half-Life 2 Episode 3 went? You are not alone, there are tens of thousands of people just like you planning a protest of sorts in hope of getting Valve to at least comment on the situation. Thanks to Ray Wilson for the heads up!

Waiting patiently for over four years can be challenging as a fan, especially when E3 comes and goes without any sign of the Half-Life series and its continuation. Valve had stated that information was scheduled to be released towards the end of 2008, and we believe that if they have chosen to change those plans, fans should be acknowledged, regardless of developmental plans for the next Half-Life project.

The entire trilogy of episodes was scheduled to be completed and released by 2007, and if Valve have decided to do other things for the time being, that is fine; all that we ask for is a basic response on the matter, and to let fans know whether or not the current story arc is scheduled to conclude at another point in time.

Funny, this is Valves marketing plan in motion. Over 43,000 people building the hype for them. Gabe is very smart.

Wasn't expecting HL2 or additional episodes, why would I expect a third chapter?

Would you rather they remind you every year of this awesome game coming out for 10 years, only to disappoint you?

We have already bared witness to what that has done to far too many games, I'd rather leave Valve to it, and be pleasantly surprised.

A protest? An Occupy Kirkland? :rolleyes:

I'd rather have an interminable wait and have a great game, than have it rushed because of impatience and have it suck.

Wait a minute the trilogy was completed 2007 the bloody Orange box was released, unless you don't count HL2 as the first episode?

Valve is too busy taking money from steam-cornered developers to create anything worthwhile

Wait a minute the trilogy was completed 2007 the bloody Orange box was released, unless you don't count HL2 as the first episode?

Umm, the Orange box only came with Episode One and Episode Two. There was no Episode Three. It was supposed to be coming out still. But Valve never officially announced they had cancelled it or delayed it, they just didn't say anything on the subject.

Still, I wasn't aware that many people actually played the single player Half-Life, I thought everyone was just playing TF2.

Umm, the Orange box only came with Episode One and Episode Two. There was no Episode Three. It was supposed to be coming out still. But Valve never officially announced they had cancelled it or delayed it, they just didn't say anything on the subject.

Still, I wasn't aware that many people actually played the single player Half-Life, I thought everyone was just playing TF2.

So you don't count HL2 as the very first episode of the game then?

Valve is too busy taking money from steam-cornered developers to create anything worthwhile

You mean besides L4D2, Portal 2, and Counter Strike Source? All of which have come out since they said they were going to finish Half-Life with Episode 3?

While they may be full with expanding STEAM, they have still done some development on other projects. It was never that large company to begin with.

So you don't count HL2 as the very first episode of the game then?

Absolutely not. That is why you have an Episode One. Episode Two certainly didn't finish anything up in the series. When they say they are coming out with an "Episode Three", that would denote and third Episode. How do you imagine you rearrange the Episodes with HL2 being the first episode?

A protest? An Occupy Kirkland? :rolleyes:

I'd rather have an interminable wait and have a great game, than have it rushed because of impatience and have it suck.

If you read the rest of the massage it says:
"In addition: This message is in no way, shape or form attempting to rush the development of the Half-Life series; in fact, most members agree that Valve should take the time needed to deliver a complete and polished product."

They WON'T announce any information about this game, it has nothing to do with being rushed.

When did the orange box come out? '07? It's '12 and there is no info on it what-so-ever.

The whole reason they did episodic content was to release it in a quicker time-frame than the gap between HL and HL2...so far it doesn't look like that has played out as planned.

I'm as big of a Half Life fan as anyone, but this is going to far. You aren't entitled to the game, and if you force them to release it, you'll get something like Duke nukem Forever. Nobody wants that to happen.

You mean besides L4D2, Portal 2, and Counter Strike Source? All of which have come out since they said they were going to finish Half-Life with Episode 3?

While they may be full with expanding STEAM, they have still done some development on other projects. It was never that large company to begin with.

I think it was a couple years ago, Steam was worth around 1.5 to 2 Billion with just their PC gaming business and DD platform. Now that they own around a good 70%+ of the market I'm sure that has changed. Not so small for a private bizz . :eek:

Hire some staff, Dave !! ;):

I never actually finished the Half-Life 2 episodes until someone at work mentioned the cinematic mod, it is really nice.

http://cinematicmod.com/

Anyways, I played through the whole thing like 8 months ago, and I see why everyone is so upset, they just totally left everyone hanging. It's kinda weird, as any other game company that has a successful IP will milk that baby to death. Mr. Newell and Valve just sorta ignore everyone and do what they feel like. I would like to give that man a swift kick to the nuts.

Funny, this is Valves marketing plan in motion. Over 43,000 people building the hype for them. Gabe is very smart.

Does anyone remember the interview with Gabe where he said they went to an episodic format with HL2 to get around the years long development cycle of a major release.
OK, wasn't that like 4 years ago??

(damn no edit on these things.....)

I signed that petition, and I don't work for valve or anyone associated.

I just want Half-Life to come to a proper close!!!!:mad:

Come on Valve.

Could be working on a new engine for all we know, I'll leave Gabe to it and see what gets released out of the silence.

Fantasy: HL3 is part of their 'secret' 5 year plan. I have a feeling Valve is gonna roll their own hardware, and use HL3 for leverage.

More realistic reality:
Looking at the current landscape the easiest guess would be HL3 is used to launch PS4, given Valve and Sony's current relationship with Steamworks (only console that allows a third party to run code not first reviewed by the first party.)

Any way you slice it, Valve is looking to leverage HL3 with something, just like they forced Steam for HL2.

I think it was a couple years ago, Steam was worth around 1.5 to 2 Billion with just their PC gaming business and DD platform. Now that they own around a good 70%+ of the market I'm sure that has changed. Not so small for a private bizz . :eek:

Hire some staff, Dave !! ;):
Valve Corp: 260 employees
---
Activision-Blizzard: 5,000 employees
Ubisoft: 6,700 employees
EA: 7,820 employees

Seems like they're a bit shorthanded to run both a DD service and a game development studio.

Personally, I don't understand the love for the HL franchise -- could never get into the games myself. Plenty of other game franchises I want to see revived, like Homeworld.

i will build a new 7970 or kepler based rig, with ivy bridge, and 16gb ddr3 and a few ssds just to play ep3 please valve

I, for one, applaud organizers of these grass-roots movements. As a gamer, I feel that my voice should matter. When it joins a chorus of thousands, the people who take my money need to listen, or else I have no reason why not to give my money to others.

I don't think anyone is acting entitled to anything other than an acknowledgement. And let's be honest here: they ARE entitled to it. Why?

BECAUSE THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THEM RICH IN THE FIRST PLACE.

It is cruel for Valve to flat out say they are making something and then just drop it completely, the only comments on it being "no comment." Either something major is going on with absolute secrecy or absolutely nothing is going on. Either way, the fans really do deserve to know.

Of course, knowing Newell, this "petition" will be met with a response of "there's nothing to talk about."

Assuming they surprise everyone and release, I don't know, say.. tomorrow morning. Then what would all these baying fans be doing by tomorrow evening?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the half life games but Episodes 1 and 2 were bite sized, linear, story-based games with no re-playability.

I'd rather they put their development resources into something like Left4Dead and expand the co-op and small group competitive online space. L4D had ridiculous amounts of re-playability as the skill ceiling in multiplayer was extremely high and dependent on your teams communication skills.

Valve can release HL3 whenever they'd like. I'm not waiting on it but I'm excited to eventually play it.

I'd play HL2 tomorrow, but I'll be under a friends Dodge Dakota helping him put a transmission in... :mad:

:D

but the HL series was arguably the best single player story game I have ever played, finish the damn story with EP3 or HL3 PLS!

Assuming they surprise everyone and release, I don't know, say.. tomorrow morning. Then what would all these baying fans be doing by tomorrow evening?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the half life games but Episodes 1 and 2 were bite sized, linear, story-based games with no re-playability.

I'd rather they put their development resources into something like Left4Dead and expand the co-op and small group competitive online space. L4D had ridiculous amounts of re-playability as the skill ceiling in multiplayer was extremely high and dependent on your teams communication skills.

The fans are baying about the lack of communication. Why is everyone not reading the article and posting about a completely different scenario. They aren't clamoring for an immediate release, they are not even saying they have to release it at all. They are saying they want some information on what is going on, that is all.

Did they ever say they were for sure going to make another HL game? And I dont care, never much cared for HL, and I cant seem to get that worked up over video game releases any more. Sure there are games I enjoy but too much going on in the real world to fret over if someone will ever create another game just because I think they should.

I'm as big of a Half Life fan as anyone, but this is going to far. You aren't entitled to the game, and if you force them to release it, you'll get something like Duke nukem Forever. Nobody wants that to happen.

Are you comparing a game that was in development hell for 10 years which was finally finished by a completely different developer to a game that hasn't even gone into development stage?

Are you comparing a game that was in development hell for 10 years which was finally finished by a completely different developer to a game that hasn't even gone into development stage?

To be fair, we don't really know if Episode 3 is in development or not. But I do agree that it wasn't a very good comparison.

I'll take SiN Episode 2 (or just another SiN game)...not sure why Vavle just doesn't buy that IP, since SiN Episodes was going to use the episodic format Valve tried to use and used Valve's game engine anyways.

Fantasy: HL3 is part of their 'secret' 5 year plan. I have a feeling Valve is gonna roll their own hardware, and use HL3 for leverage.
More realistic reality:
Looking at the current landscape the easiest guess would be HL3 is used to launch PS4, given Valve and Sony's current relationship with Steamworks (only console that allows a third party to run code not first reviewed by the first party.)
Any way you slice it, Valve is looking to leverage HL3 with something, just like they forced Steam for HL2.

Hey now that is an interesting angle.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone released a "console" based on the AMD "Fusion" APU.

Hmm

Money talks louder than online petitions. If all of these gamers are so pissed off at Valve, then hit them where it hurts and quit using Steam.

I think people forgot how long it took them to get TF2 out. I don't expect anything new soon.

Back