480P on the xbox 360

flapbreaker

Limp Gawd
So can someone tell me if there is a huge crappy difference between playing games at 480p (EDTV) and the 720p setting? It looks like if you have a 480p TV that the xbox won't anti-ailias as well?

Similar to playing a PC game at 640x480 and then at 1280x720. Pretty big difference.

use the component cables over the composite. Huge difference between the two.

if your tv supports letterboxing its self in the menu turn it on and select the 360s widescreen output....youll have a non cropped scale down from 720p so youll have just as little jaggies just the extra resolutions detail will be missing

NetJunkie said:
Similar to playing a PC game at 640x480 and then at 1280x720. Pretty big difference.

It's not the same as those resolutions changing on a PC. The XBox 360 downscales a 720p image. It will still look fine as long as you're on component cables @ 480p, you'll just be missing out on some sharpness/texture details.

Component cable and the VGA cable should be able to display EDTV and HDTV without issues. The Xbox360 DOES output 720p for games. NOT FOR DVD's!!

Composite DOES NOT SUPPORT EDTV or HDTV. Same with S-video!!!

Well the interesting thing is when I go and select the 480p in the xbox menu there is a little message at the bottom that says "D is turned off due to being set as a TV" or something vaguely to that effect. I just got the impression that maybe I would be loosing out significantly. I mean I can watch HD TV at 480p and it is pretty damn nice so I don't expect a huge drop off from a game. I'm playing NBA2k6 and I think the in game players have too many jaggies. Maybe it's the game?

There is a switch on the component cables that come with the 360. One setting is HDTV and the other is TV, thats probably the message you are getting. Switch that over to HD and then choose 480p on the video settings, and choose your TV orientation appropriately.

Kahnvex said:
There is a switch on the component cables that come with the 360. One setting is HDTV and the other is TV, thats probably the message you are getting. Switch that over to HD and then choose 480p on the video settings, and choose your TV orientation appropriately.

Oh man you Rock! I guess it pays to read the manual. I'll go look at it now. THanks!

flapbreaker said:
Well the interesting thing is when I go and select the 480p in the xbox menu there is a little message at the bottom that says "D is turned off due to being set as a TV" or something vaguely to that effect. I just got the impression that maybe I would be loosing out significantly. I mean I can watch HD TV at 480p and it is pretty damn nice so I don't expect a huge drop off from a game. I'm playing NBA2k6 and I think the in game players have too many jaggies. Maybe it's the game?
How's NBA2k6 on xbox360? Any good?

air2k5 said:
How's NBA2k6 on xbox360? Any good?

I flipped the tv/hdtv switch on the cable and it looks much better now.

As far as the game goes I think it's very good but keep in mind I was playing NBA 2K3 so it wasn't very current. So far it's the best BB game I've played as far as how the players move. They look way more natural than 2k3. I'm very excited about the prospects for next years version since they will have way more time to work on it. I think the reason 2k6 for the 360 has had some negative stuff about it is that it's not too much different than the xbox version other than better player graphics and yet it costs more. If you have an HDTV then it's worth buying. If you don't then save some money and buy it for what ever non-HD system you have. Hope this helps.

Back