4850 / 4870 Power adapters

ZMTToxics

Gawd
Did anyones 4850s or 4870s come with power adapters? If so which brand did you buy?

My powersupply doesn't have 6 or 8 pin connectors, and I was told the Visiontek comes with the adapter I need but I cant confirm it on the stores website or Visiontek's website.

ZMT when I get home I will check my VisionTek 4850 retail I bought from BB over the weekend.

My HIS 4870 did not come with an adaptor. I used one from a prior video card because my PSU only has one 8 pin and two 6 pin connectors. Thankfully it appears to be working fine.

My friend just got his HIS 4850 and it came with a screwdriver instead of the power adapter I guess...

It looks like I will be getting a sapphire or visiontek then. I ordered an aftermarket cooler already (Coolink GFXChilla, Hardware canuck approved, and the customer reviewers were all people with 4850s, and it was only 30 bucks). I will be getting the card next week hopefully. :D

Did anyones 4850s or 4870s come with power adapters? If so which brand did you buy?

My powersupply doesn't have 6 or 8 pin connectors, and I was told the Visiontek comes with the adapter I need but I cant confirm it on the stores website or Visiontek's website.

mine came with 2x IDE molex to 6 pin adapters

My friend just got his HIS 4850 and it came with a screwdriver instead of the power adapter I guess...

It looks like I will be getting a sapphire or visiontek then. I ordered an aftermarket cooler already (Coolink GFXChilla, Hardware canuck approved, and the customer reviewers were all people with 4850s, and it was only 30 bucks). I will be getting the card next week hopefully. :D
I gotta say, I love the screwdriver/flashlight/level tool HIS sent with their cards.

If that was the tradeoff for a molex-pcie adaptor, I'll gladly make that trade (since I only needed one adaptor, which I already had lying around). For somebody who needs them though, it would be a major annoyance.

Just use newegg product images -> CLICK

4870s came with molex>>>>6 pin.(you need 2 molex freed up.)
Mine are Sapphire.

If you need one just let me know, I'll be glad to mail one to you.:D

4870s came with molex>>>>6 pin.(you need 2 molex freed up.)
Mine are Sapphire.

If you need one just let me know, I'll be glad to mail one to you.:D
hold up.
your adaptor had two molex connectors on it?

I'm not sure where my molex-pcie adaptor came from, but it only used a single molex. I wonder if I shouldn't invest in a better adaptor.

hold up.

I'm not sure where my molex-pcie adaptor came from, but it only used a single molex. I wonder if I shouldn't invest in a better adaptor.

I may be wrong......I am speaking from my experience with nvidia cards.
I have 2 4870s right now, but my PSU has plenty of 6 pin connectors.
I'm pretty sure the adapters are 2>>>1, but I'll check tonight and get back to you on that.

hold up.

I think they have 2 so that it reserves a full 12v line. I am not really sure. It could also be that it needs 2 lines (1 connector per line). Does anyone know what the manual says for that stuff?

I remember somewhere said you need to use 2 molex from different cables..

Haven't seen a Molex -> 6 pin that only used one molex yet

I remember somewhere said you need to use 2 molex from different cables..

Haven't seen a Molex -> 6 pin that only used one molex yet
hrm well I seem to have found one :D

Wish I could dig out a dual molex -> 6 pin adaptor from an old gpu.

Just to add the Visiontek HD 4850 comes with one, but the H4870 does not. No picture of the Visiontek bundle on Newegg at the moment, but I have a friend that just got one. Anyway, this question came up on another forum and I went digging. The only HD 4870's available in the US that come with the PCI-E 6-pin/Molex Converter are Sapphire which has two and Palit which has one. All the others have none. However, I have not been able to verify the Gigabyte and Asus models.

Just to add the Visiontek HD 4850 comes with one, but the H4870 does not. No picture of the Visiontek bundle on Newegg at the moment, but I have a friend that just got one. Anyway, this question came up on another forum and I went digging. The only HD 4870's available in the US that come with the PCI-E 6-pin/Molex Converter are Sapphire which has two and Palit which has one. All the others have none. However, I have not been able to verify the Gigabyte and Asus models.
did those adaptors have two molex connectors on them?

I don't have mine in front of me, but I believe it was two molex connectors into one PCI connector adapter.

Edit for Honestjohn picture. I don't remember mine looking like those. :confused: I'll look at it again later tonight.
Dbl edit: nvm, didn't realize that picture was for the 4870 and not the 4850.

I don't have mine in front of me, but I believe it was two molex connectors into one PCI connector adapter.

Edit for Honestjohn picture. I don't remember mine looking like those. :confused: I'll look at it again later tonight.

Zick look at my post again. I edited it after your post. The picture is of the HD 4870 Adapter, not the HD 4850.

My Asus 4850 came with the power adapter. It also includes the Smart Doctor util that can be used for overclocking and controlling fan speeds.

I'm sorry, I started this whole thing.:eek:

I just looked in my Sapphire 4870 box.....there are two 6 pin adapters in the box, that attach into ONE molex each(just like in the photo above)....so I was kind of right, you'll need two molex'zzzz, but those two will suffice for the entire card.

Again, I was falling back on my 8800 GTX experience.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.;)

My Asus 4850 came with the power adapter. It also includes the Smart Doctor util that can be used for overclocking and controlling fan speeds.
Would you mind checking on the version number of ASUS Smart Doctor? I'm wondering if I could run it on my system despite the fact that I have HIS cards.

This thread is giving me the impression that when my 4870 arrives, I won't have the necessary hardware to install it. :confused:

OK, how about a recap since this thread is confusing as hell....:p
The table below is correct to the best of my knowledge. Hope it helps ....

Please let me know if you find any inaccuracies and I will correct it.

hd4870warrantyww1.jpg

The only extras I've seen with any of these cards are from HIS which inlude a screwdriver/flashlight/level tool. Asus which includes "Alone in the Dark" game and Powercolor HD 4850 which has an ATI Remote Control for a limited time.

Yes, the Visiontek card does come with it. It has two molex plugs to one 6-pin.

Also, I really appreciate the chart and everyones research! I will be getting either the sapphire or the visiontek 4850. :D

Back