4850/70 board makers

sparks

2[H]4U
has there been any talk of EVGA or XFX making ATI cards in the future?

I am not going to buy anything with powercolor on the box and most of the others listed are just crap when it comes to warranty.

Visiontek has always been good in the past - and always had a lifetime warranty. Not sure if they will be making the new boards or not, though.

has there been any talk of EVGA or XFX making ATI cards in the future?

I am not going to buy anything with powercolor on the box and most of the others listed are just crap when it comes to warranty.

EVGA and XFX are nVidia partners, I seriously doubt they'll ever make an ATI card. It'd be like Sapphire or HIS making an Nvidia card. Stranger things have happened though.

Visiontek has always been good in the past - and always had a lifetime warranty. Not sure if they will be making the new boards or not, though.

I saw a Visiontek 4850 on the shelves at Fry's today. Couldn't buy it though. Fry's discovered their error when the item wouldn't scan at the cashier.

Visiontek will continue making the ATI series and so will Diamond and Sapphire and maybe HIS.

Visontek, Powercolor, Diamond, Sapphire, and HIS are the primary ATI partners and will definitely have those cards

I saw a Visiontek 4850 on the shelves at Fry's today. Couldn't buy it though. Fry's discovered their error when the item wouldn't scan at the cashier.

i woulda just thrown $50 + shelf price on the counter and ran off.

Bench it, sell it on ebay for an extra $150.

Forgot about GeCube Wolfkin, they're also a primary partner

ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI make cards for both companies, but they're also motherboard partners

Buy.com posted the VisionTek 4850 over the weekend. Some of us have received them already, so they're already available.

that would never happen, why would EVGA risk losing a multi-million dollar partnership.

Forgot about GeCube Wolfkin, they're also a primary partner

ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI make cards for both companies, but they're also motherboard partners

No prob ;) didn't mean they are all partners just that they will make cards as well.

Visiontek is still in the US yes

Visiontek offers lifetime warranty and I haven't heard anything really negative about them. HIS seems to have great aftermarket cooling on theirs with their own ICEQ3 coolers. Powercolor has been solid as well from what I've head.

Is VisionTek still in the states or did it move?

Still in the US. In fact, they are also the ATI-brand reseller for North America. When AMD completed the ATI acquisition, they sold ATI's manufacturing and QA facilities for graphics cards to Visiontek Products, LLC as part of the branding deal. (What some folks seem to forget is that ATI manufactured cards themselves for sale in North America, especially the US, in addition to their AIB deals. The AIBs had better prices; however, ATI itself, especially in North America, typically had a better warranty.) Visiontek could be truthfully said to be the EVGA or BFG of ATI's AIB partners, mostly because of that decidedly unusual lifetime warranty on their Visiontek-branded cards.

Haven't owned a ATI since my 9800, I'm looking forward to owning one again with the 4870.

One thing that's always bothered me however is that I've never felt I could trust any of the board makers for ATI like I could EVGA/BFG/XFX for Nvidia.

After getting a better understanding of who Visiontek is, it sounds like they are solid and would be the best bet, followed by Powercolor. I wouldn't touch another Sapphire product ever again personally (Not sure about now, but their customer support was absolutely horrid back when I owned ATI products)

i have a visiontek 3870, and i went with them precisely because they were the only company i could find with a lifetime warranty. the card has been fine so far, no problems! as for them making ati-branded boards, i can vouch for that too; my card is ATI-branded, no visiontek sticker (first run of 3870s was this way, later they switched to their own version with their own cooler and sticker)!

About Visiontek's lifetime warranty...

Does it just mean the lifetime of the card, meaning when a new card in the series comes out, it's no longer covered OR does it actually mean lifetime?

The funny thing is, my last Nvidia card (GeForce 256 SDR) was made by VisionTek :p

Back