4850 + Thermaltake DuOrb rocks the house

Earth

n00b
Some thoughts on my visiontek 4850, using antec 900 (has lots of cooling). I've seen a ton of threads about the duorb & 4850 temps/ocs in general. So here!

Using cat8.6 off the website as she comes.

4850 w/ default cooler @stock:
idle; 55C
load; 80C

4850 w/ duorb @stock:
idle: 31C
load; 35C

4850 w/ duorb @700/1140 (+11%,+12%)
idle; 33C
load; 36C

HOLY &#^&*&

Those are temps reported by CCC. I know the look low, but it's almost cool to the touch as well.

What sinks did you use for the power? I put on a pair of DuOrbs yesterday, having problems with one of the cards freezing the system when I stress test it (though plays fine in COD4, heh). If I had the tools and I was handy, I wouldn't mind cutting off the copper tails of the stock HSF and putting them back on the power stuff.

Benchmark with furmark, it makes 3D card produce more heat than any other bench out there.

On side note, any other 3rd party cooler beats the default cooling. Accelero S1 + 120mm fan dropped my 4850 temps about 40c across the board.

Some thoughts on my visiontek 4850, using antec 900 (has lots of cooling). I've seen a ton of threads about the duorb & 4850 temps/ocs in general. So here!

Using cat8.6 off the website as she comes.

4850 w/ default cooler @stock:
idle; 55C
load; 80C

4850 w/ duorb @stock:
idle: 31C
load; 35C

4850 w/ duorb @700/1140 (+11%,+12%)
idle; 33C
load; 36C

HOLY &#^&*&

I had a Duo Orb on my 4870 before going water. Try Furmark 1.4, you will see 60-70c load temps ;)

hmmm
(been doing a little reading)

I've read about the profile hack thing but that seems really complicated.

Heres hoping the new drivers and fan control hit same time as my card.

It's as complicated as opening an XML file in NotePad and changing a number...
:p

It's as complicated as opening an XML file in NotePad and changing a number...
:p

no no no

then you have to go here and save it there but it might not be there if you have vista cause of x86 program and then go into ccc and tell it to load that profile and yada yada yada yada.

or so i've read

bullcrap

It's not that hard. If it's there it's there; if it isn't, what have you got to lose? Just see if it's there at least.

I'm sure I can handle it. :D

Just rubs me the wrong way to have to. :mad:

I am very glad the OP is giving us this report.

But I must say, these are not so much bang for the buck if you also have to buy a cooler and spend the time to put it on.

Mine will probably be here wednesday. Hopefully, drivers will come out.

Yes, you can cross fire 2 cards with DuOrbs on each, here's my rambling note on this last night...http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032739566&postcount=56

Log story short, the coolers cool off the GPU fine, the fans are a bit noisy, I put them on a fan controller and turned the fans down a little.

The 2 cards are idleing at 51 and 45 (warm room). And I really don't care about the temps, my main goal is as long as I can run the card at load without it sounding like the stock leafblower, and hopefully be at least 10 degrees cooler. At this point, it's running 20-25 degrees cooler at load. You'll be able to use both crossfire bridges.

I'm having an issue with one of the cards though, I think it's the PWM since it froze the system when it was auto-tuning the GPU, not the RAM. Unless that's still heating the RAM up when testing the GPU.

Earth,

I'm assuming that you got 55 idle with stock cooler at increased fan speed, correct?

How noisy are the fans on the DuOrb? How does noise compare to like the stock cooler at 50%?

Thanks!

Earth,

I'm assuming that you got 55 idle with stock cooler at increased fan speed, correct?

How noisy are the fans on the DuOrb? How does noise compare to like the stock cooler at 50%?

Thanks!

The stock cooler at 50% starts to produce an odd noise yet at anything just below its fine.

do u need to put on the ram sinks?? i want to get this cooler for my 4870 but do not want to put on the ram sinks jus in case i need to put back the stock cooler

I'd think you'd need the sinks, but can't say for certain. At the least, the sinks that come with it just use tape, I wouldn't think it's too hard to take them off if needed.

In many ways, it would be interesting to see how the Akasa cooler comes out if someone here starts selling it, since it's a standard one-piece-covers-all unit, but performs better than the stock cooler.

I put all of the ramsinks on that came with duorb. I also put some of the tinier sinks on misc chips cause I felt like it. ^^

55C *was* with the software hack for proper fan speeds. I've seen reverted back to default since installing the duorb.

Noise-wise it is louder than the stock cooler, but it's still not the loudest part in my system (damn artic 64 cpu fan) so I don't mind.

Temps are almost constant regardless of where the load comes from: 3dmark06, bioshock, world of warcraft or even a combination of those together. ^^

Back