4870 512MB or 4850 1G at 1680x1050

Hi.

My 8800GT died yesterday and am going to pick up a replacement card today after work. I'm torn between the 4870 512MB and 4850 1G - I can get both at the exact same price (within a buck or two).

My resolution is 1680x1050. Specs are 6600Q, 4G RAM. I use the computer for gaming quite a bit, titles like GTA 4 & Empire Total War...will be playing new RPGs as they come out (Dragon Age etc).

The real issue is whether the speed of the 4870 is enough to overcome its deficiencies in RAM relative to the 4850...

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Isn't GTA a VRAM hog? Maybe the 1G card would be better in that case. Perhaps save a few more bucks for the 4870 1G?

Jim, how much are you paying?

My thanks for the replies so far!

RADEoN, I'm looking at paying $150 and change. Bear in mind this is in canadian dollars. Normally I could get a better deal (pricematch at NCIX), but I need the card like yesterday as I've got some work stuff I have to finish on my home machine and it won't even post.

The upshot is that I have to buy at a local shop.

You should do what I always do when I am forced to buy a card asap. I go to best buy (or a similar store with a decent return policy), use the card, then return it when my real card (purchased online) arrives. I see no reason not to do this, and I highly recommend it to you in your situation.

i played both of these games @1920x1200 on my 4870 512, with little trouble.

with the exception of GTA4 (don't see the need to play this myself) 512mb should be fine at that res. I would go for the 4870

Back