4870 Aftermarket Cooling Options

I used a Arctic Cooling ACCELS1 Rev 2 VGA Cooler on an 8800GT when they came out and it cut the temps in half. Now I keep wondering if my system is running
I have heard that the new one with only 2 pipes is not that good.
I always thought the ones blowing out the back was the best but seems that is getting out of fashion now on aftermarket coolers.

There was a preview/review last month of a new 4 pipe cooler with fans but I can't find it anywhere, DAMN I need to bookmark more. It is supposed to be the best and its also super quiet with its 2 fans. I think the reason I didn't think about it more is that it is not out on the market yet.

The only reason I didn't think about the Thermalright HR-03 GT was it seemed to weigh tooo damn much. BUT I am probably wrong.

I used a Arctic Cooling ACCELS1 Rev 2 VGA Cooler on an 8800GT when they came out and it cut the temps in half. Now I keep wondering if my system is running
I have heard that the new one with only 2 pipes is not that good.
I always thought the ones blowing out the back was the best but seems that is getting out of fashion now on aftermarket coolers.

There was a preview/review last month of a new 4 pipe cooler with fans but I can't find it anywhere, DAMN I need to bookmark more. It is supposed to be the best and its also super quiet with its 2 fans. I think the reason I didn't think about it more is that it is not out on the market yet.

The only reason I didn't think about the Thermalright HR-03 GT was it seemed to weigh tooo damn much. BUT I am probably wrong.

The S1 v2.0 still has 4 heatpipes. The one that has 2 heat pipes is the S2 (I know, confusing). The S2 is cheaper and smaller, but not by much. The better buy is still the S1 v2.0

The one with 2 fans & 4 heatpipes is the GFX chipzilla (sp?). The current problem on that on is the heatpipes interfere with the heatsinks on the memory in a massive way.

The S1 v2.0 still has 4 heatpipes. The one that has 2 heat pipes is the S2 (I know, confusing). The S2 is cheaper and smaller, but not by much. The better buy is still the S1 v2.0

The one with 2 fans & 4 heatpipes is the GFX chipzilla (sp?). The current problem on that on is the heatpipes interfere with the heatsinks on the memory in a massive way.

The GFXChilla alone with out sinks works great. See my pictures for details. Idles at 34.

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting this card but it's hard to go from 42C at idle with my 9600gt to 70i'sh at idle with a 4870 since my room gets so hot anyway. What is the preferred after market cooling gizmo most desired and easiest to install.

I've always had a hard time getting the sheath of nvidia cards, but I'm not sure how hard it is for ATI. Also, I've seen some folks with the duorb vga cooler that looks like it lowers the temps really nicely on the card but will it still heat up the inside of my case like crazy with after market cooler?

I ditched my old 8800gts 640 just because of temp issues and got the 9600gt (which, at less than half the price performs better, heh) so this issue of heat is important to me; important enough I may just have to wait till we start seeing manufactures doing better cooling built on the board if need be.

Advice?

a simple fan speed adjustment and the 4870 card bringing it to just 45 percent has my idle tems at 44 to 46 celsius, pretty dam good cooling solution if you ask me, not likely to do better with aftermarket. you could have done the same thing with your 8800 gts which probably performs better than the 9600 does.

it does but for the stock cooling to work as well as a decent aftermarket you have to push the fan speed to noisy levels.

Yes it does.

The fan speed adjustment using the XML profile in the CCC causes one major issue: it no longer throttles the fan speed up when you hit really high temperatures. I used to get into the low 90s running Furmark on my 4850, then I would hear the fan kick in to very high speeds. I turned it to manual and upped the speed to 45% and my idle temps went down to the upper 40s, but I broke 100C running Furmark at that speed because the fan didn't throttle up to the really high speeds. I don't know how high it went, because I stopped it when I went into the 100s, but it may have been dangerously high. I never observed my temperatures in any really GPU intensive games at that speed, but I suspect that in some they would get extremely high.

And? It still works. He didn't say anything about noise.

Was this post really necessary or are you just trying to be a dick? I was just stating that yes it works but also stating to those that may not have tried it or not have bought the card yet that there is a side effect to it so those seeking silence should look into a aftermarket cooler.

I'm planning to get this card and use my zalman VF1000, What ramsinks and mosfet heatsinks do you guys use for the 4870?

But how do you cool down the vram. that is the biggest issue I have with my 4870. I can easily find a cooler to cool down the chip. But the ram isn't not.

Once you take off the stock heatsink, reinstall the red metal plate that covers everything but the gpu. The Accelero's fit barely, and the VF1000 fits perfectly over this plate. I would keep the thermal pads on though, or get your own, as thermal grease/compound doesn't fill in the considerable gap. The thick pad seems to be the only way to ensure that the entire chip interfaces with the metal. :cool:

As I learned before I tried myself, the little stick-on metal heatsinks don't cool the voltage regulators enough. (The tiny chips covered by the thin white thermal pad.) It seems the lowest profile, yet most effective, solution is the stock red metal plate.

Back