4870 heatsink and pwm heatsink?

I must really be unlucky... I tried using the stock red plate with my Accelero S1 but I just couldn't unscrew some of the screws. They just wouldn't budge! I managed to unscrew 3 just fine but the other 4... no way in hell. I ended up using Accelero's Ramsinks and that shitty PWM heatsink tilted :rolleyes:

Conclusion: The 3 VRMs during Furmark 120/133/125ºC...

Being Winter and with a 650RPM fan I get ~40ºC (104F) idle and ~44ºC playing UT3. VRM temps were at around ~60ºC (140F).

So, is it safe? Except Furmark the temps seem fine, I'll try some other games just to be sure but, should I worry?

120 i think is the limit for the VRMs, get a better screw driver and unscrew the red plate!

I read it was 125, but no matter. I won't see anywhere near those temperatures while gaming so it's safe, right?

I mean, of course I'll do that. But this will have to do for now.

Heh... I just remembered... The reason why one of the VRMs was 133ºC is because the last two aren't fully covered by the heatsink, just the first one, which was at 120º C.

My digital viper carbon copy is running excellently!

flawless at 790 leaving memory at 900

Hmm, thanks for the post. I'm going to give this a try. I was pretty pissed that the provided pwm heatsink wouldn't mount to my 4870 even though the Accelero S1 rev2 was listed as "compatible" to 4870. My fault for not doing enough research.

So I bought some extra heatsinks that I was going to mount on the pwm but I guess I'll try this first...

I bet I'll wind up like Raudulfr and not be able to get things unscrewed though :)

Do you guys think this would work with the Thermalright HR-03GT? I had bought one for my 8800GT and lucked into an open box Visiontek at worstbuy for reasonable money considering it was retail. It is running HOT with the stock HSF (181 F in 3DMark06 according to HWmonitor 1.12) so I looked and the HR-03GT is rated for use with the 4870. I can't get those swanky red heatsinks in time with new years approaching and the LAN on Friday. BTW, they were in stock at Petra's when I looked.

Any ideas? I like the hack design with the stock base and want better GPU cooling, so I really don't want to waste this $50 cooler I just bought! :mad:

Do you guys think this would work with the Thermalright HR-03GT? I had bought one for my 8800GT and lucked into an open box Visiontek at worstbuy for reasonable money considering it was retail. It is running HOT with the stock HSF (181 F in 3DMark06 according to HWmonitor 1.12) so I looked and the HR-03GT is rated for use with the 4870. I can't get those swanky red heatsinks in time with new years approaching and the LAN on Friday. BTW, they were in stock at Petra's when I looked.

Any ideas? I like the hack design with the stock base and want better GPU cooling, so I really don't want to waste this $50 cooler I just bought! :mad:

why not try the stock base setup? you can probably mount the hr gt still, give it a try to find out i guess ^^

Thought has already crossed my mind, just wanted to see if anyone else had done it in case I irreversibly destroy my stock HSF! What did you use for TIM when you put the stock memory/VRM base back on? I was thinking I might have to find some AS Ceramique or use the thermalright stuff they send if it's non conductive. I have the whole kit for the HR-03 GT, but I keep hearing you guys talk about inadequate cooling of the VRM's, so it has me worried I will fry it.

Thought has already crossed my mind, just wanted to see if anyone else had done it in case I irreversibly destroy my stock HSF! What did you use for TIM when you put the stock memory/VRM base back on? I was thinking I might have to find some AS Ceramique or use the thermalright stuff they send if it's non conductive. I have the whole kit for the HR-03 GT, but I keep hearing you guys talk about inadequate cooling of the VRM's, so it has me worried I will fry it.

I used the stock pads that came on the stock heatsink, you shouldn't be destroying it, its just a few screws =)

Second that, works great, look for vipers thread.

You can buy a set of small screwdrivers for just a few bucks

Don't worry, I have a nice set of screwdrivers, but I found out to day that it's a moot point: I violate my lifetime warranty with Visiontek if I remove the stock heatsink. :mad:

Maybe I will have to make a FS post with my HR-03 GT!!!! Thanks anyways guys.

Anybody try using the HD4870 with the Scythe Musashi cooler? I've read some reviews on the cooler and they say it works awesome. I've seen other people using the cooler, but not with the HD4870. Anyone?

Anybody try using the HD4870 with the Scythe Musashi cooler? I've read some reviews on the cooler and they say it works awesome. I've seen other people using the cooler, but not with the HD4870. Anyone?

I just picked up a Musashi today. How's yours working out on the 4870?

Question: Do you think it's safe to install an Accelero S1 on a HD4870 without the mounting holes' spacers? (the little white rubber round thingies)

I don't think so but some people insist that there is no problem.

Works perfectly with the Xigmatek BattleAxe. Dropped my max load temperatures down to a (comparatively) ice-cold ~60C. :D

can we rename this thread and sticky it? it seems like a great and cheap solution to cooling these cards =)

Back