4870 is a heater too?

for anyone who thinks their computer or video card puts out too much heat, instead of taking stuff back to the store, do what i did instead:

apply some mirror-finish tint to the windows in your room, then put some cardboard cutouts press-fit into the windows to block out the light, in between the mini-blinds and the windows. this way, you can't see the cardboard from either the inside or the outside.

i didn't do this specifically to keep my room cooler, i did it because i work nights, and it keeps my room dark during the day when i sleep.....

but you'd be surprised at just how much heat reduction there is when you do this. i guarantee you, the heat reduction from doing this will MORE than compensate for the extra heat being put out by your CPU or video card.

and even if you only put the tint on your windows in the rest of the house (without the cardboard cutouts), you'll likely find it less costly to keep your house cool during the summer, too....i know i did. it was well worth the time and effort.

??? I don't know why so many are complaining about the heat. My 4870 runs at like 75 C but all I can feel is the cool air blowing out of my antec 900, nothing hot at all.

One thing I noticed when I briefly had an R600 HD2900 was that compared with the 8800GTX, the cooler on the ATi card seemed to blow a lot more air out of the back. It was also a lot louder. I wound up with an 8800GTX instead for other reasons but it gave me the impression that the cooler on the ATi was better. The 8800GTX even at 100% doesn't seem to move much air. The ATi blew a lot of air and it was hot air. Just an observation. All things being equal I would rather have the heat being pushed out of the case into the room than lingering in the case over the other components.

You don't understand how semiconductors work.

If you can ignore leakage, the power consumption should drop by half with every process revision (%100 improvement). This is because the capacitance required to charge a gate drops by half when you move down one process revision (e.g. 90nm to 65nm to 45nm). Yeah, you never see this, but in the past it was not unheard-of to hit %80 improvement with a process revision.

Thus, a card with similar horsepower to an 8800GTX on 55nm would use about half the power, or deliver twice the performance. But we're not seeing that. The 4850 (110w), despite the low voltage, uses just %80 of the power of the 8800GTX, and delivers about %20 more performance. That's a total improvement in both categories combined would be:

sqrt( %120^2 (performance) + %120^2 (lower power) ) = %170 (total improvement).

I was expecting around %200 total from 1.5 process shrinks. That %30 lost is due to increasing leakage. The fact is, leakage kicks in as your process gets finer, erasing your dynamic power gains.

In actuality, the two reasons the 4870 has high power consumption are (1) higher leakage and (2) higher voltage than the 4850. Reducing the voltage not only reduces dynamic power, it also reduces leakage.

You are spreading alot of BS. You would need more facts than the imaginationary numbers coming out from your arse.

It seems like you are not logically trained, you are confused among serveral things:

Performance. You fail to clearly define what "performance" is, as a matter of fact, the "gaming performances" highly depend on the optimization of drivers. It varies from game to game, the fps in games alone should not really be the indicators of "performance".

We can only use what the supercomputers use, the Gflops.
It seems you are ignorant of the fact that, 4850 delivers 1000 Gflops, while the 8800GTX delivers about 518 Glops, that is about 100% increase in performance while uses 80% power, do you math again and you can kiss your "power leakage" BS good-bye.

I have 0 fans in my case, just run it open. I don't know why but I like that rugged look.

My receiver creates a lot of heat too. As long as my room is cool, it's alright. In the summer it gets to hot, but in the winter it's like a portable heater.

Back