4870x2 heading To RMA - In The Meantime?

Grimspoon

Limp Gawd
My 4870x2 has recently been rendered defective. While I struggle to coax any sort of response out of HIS and their RMA dept, I have to consider what card will hold it's place in the meantime. If I can't get a response from HIS after a week I don't have much hope for an expedient RMA process once the card leaves my possession.

Right at this very moment my card is out of my PC and I have a 4850 in it's place, picked it up from BestBuy earlier this week because they have such a convenient return policy. Howver, spending nearly 300 (CAD) on this particular card doesn't sit well with me.

While my 4870x2 is gone I need something I can actually use and is actually worth what I will pay for it.

If I buy a card from an online retailer I'll have to keep it. So I think maybe I should get a 4870 and use it in Tr-SLI when my 4870x2 comes back. I'm also thinking about snagging a second 4870x2 from the B/S/T forum.

What do you think is my best course of action? I bought my 4870x2 at release, meaning it was expensive, and I'd like to keep using it once it's been through RMA...

Suggestions?

Also interested in knowing would an Accelero Xtreme 4870X2 fit on two 4870x2's in crossfire?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte X48-DQ6.

Back