4890 and Accelero Question

Spankbot-5000

Weaksauce
I've got two quick questions about pairing up a 4890 with an Accelero Twin Turbo. First, does anyone know if there is any difference in thickness between the Twin Turbo, and the Accelero S1 Rev.2 with the addon fans attached? I have the latter in my system currently, and it just fits because I have an X-Fi in there as well. If the Twin Turbo was any thicker it wouldn't fit in my system.

Second, would I get better heat dissipation on the mem/vrm units by using the included mini-sinks (or something like the Zalman Ram-Sinks), or detaching the passive heatsink plate from the factory cooler and then reattaching that to the video card between the Accelero and the card itself?

I just installed a twin turbo on my 4890 and it fits just fine no problems at all. As far as the memory and vrms go I use the Iandh custom ram sinks on mine seen here
http://www.petrastechshop.com/cuhdcokitbyi.html

And they work perfect and keep my memory and vrm's nice and cool...

I'm using a Musashi on mine but with the red plate on. Works fine so far. I have a Accelero Twin Turbo lying around but the Musashi should be better.

Thanks for the info guys. Should have both parts in hand in a day or so, so we'll see how things go.

Yeah let me know how it works out...lets see those idle and load temps..

As for temps, I don't have the part yet, but a 4870 I modded for my friend with an Accelero idles at about 41c and maybe gets up to 70c on the most demanding games. I have the same case as him, so I'm expecting similar temps on my 4890 when I get it.

Okay, just got my 4890 the other day and got it modded with the Accelero Twin Turbo. My last mod used ram-sinks for the memory and VRM's, but this time I used the aformentioned method of separating the passive heatsink plate from the stock cooler and reattaching it to the card. There was even enough room in the slot around the pulse VRM's to lay down some leftover Zalman ram-sinks on those chips.

I haven't done any conclusive tests yet, but it looks to be idling around 32c, and the highest I've seen it get yet was 59c while playing WoW and the same temp while playing Burnout Paradise.

That's a great cooler too, I used one on my previous 4870. The Twin Turbo is basically the same thing, it just has integrated fans whereas the S1 needs the separate fan module for active cooling.

Actually that, and the Twin Turbo has a better selection of mini heatsinks. The S1 has individual ram-sinks, but a long sink for using on older cards VRM's. To use it on the 48XX VRM's, I really had to mod it heavily to get it to fit. Shaved the mating surfaces way down, and shortened the overall length. The Twin Turbo has the same ram-sinks, but then a couple of slightly longer and shallower VRM-sinks that fit much better under the main heatsink.

Oh, and if you want go for some serious cooling, you may want to get some Akasa thermal tape and the Zalman ram-sinks I mentioned in my previous post. The standard sinks included with the Accelero are decent, but the Zalmans are better and the Akasa thermal tape is far stickier than what's already applied to the stock sinks. Can help alleviate the occasional problem of ram-sinks falling off because the stock thermal tape didn't cut it.

Back