4890 and BC2, Suggestions?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
So.... last night I tried BC2 for the first time. I'm at 1680x1050. I turned everything to max except AA which was at 4x. I was pretty underwhelmed by the results. The max fps that I saw was 40. average was around 28 and min was around 15. This was all in singleplayer.

I was expecting a lot better based on the results that I had seen cards like the 5770 getting. Is this a directx 11 issue? Is there something I should be turning down?

I had heard that a fast cpu will yield big increases in BC2, but my i7 860 at 4.0GHz doesn't seem to help, not to mention that I was only seeing around 20% cpu usage.

Any thoughts? Were my expectations just unrealistic? Turn down settings? Is my 4890 finally ready for retirement?

One other thing that I was wondering about, it would only let me set my resolution to 1680x1050 at 59 hertz. But native is 60hertz. I keep getting a brightly colored horizontal line at the bottom of the screen. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Search for the tweaks. You can go into documents and tweak the config files. Turn bloom and hbao off. It is probably in dx10 mode automatically. If you gpu is a 512mb, AA might be tough.

ok this is what you want to do. the 4890 cant handle high shadows or HBAO

Disable HBAO and turn shadows down to Medium or Low then go into your Config file if you on windows 7 u can find it here:

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\BFBC2 then clock on the settings.ini & turn Bloom to False also turn your FOV to 75

Yeah man, something is wrong, playing with high settings, 4 AA 8 AF my HD4860 (overclocked to 880/900) would average low 40 fps, with high in the 60's, ( the framerate never really dropped into the teens either). My CPU is a phenom x3 740 @3.2

DX10 cards are slower in Bad Company 2 than DX11 cards, so it's unsurprising your 4890 doesn't beat a 5770. You don't want to use AA and HBAO in BC2 on an old DX10 card, it's really demanding. Four 4870s (with good scaling too) weren't smooth with ANY AA at 2560x1600, even without HBAO. If I added HBAO, 30fps which is awful for multiplayer. Same story with even so much as 2xAA.

on my 4890 i was able to run BC2 just like this

Everything else Maxed
Shaders: Low
4xAA
HBAO OFF
Bloom OFF
FOV: 75

it ran smooth around 60 FPS but there were many times it would in certain scenarios

Last edited:
Low shaders, HBAO and bloom disabled with 4xAA is far from maxed, and illustrates my point.

i didnt mean everything maxed I meant everything else maxed. i need to stop staying up for days at a time.

A video card upgrade will likely allow you to turn everything up if that's what you are looking to do, however you can certainly hold out in getting a new video card a little longer, but eventually a video card upgrade is going to be needed.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really hoping to put off an upgrade until next winter. Turning HBAO off and shaders to medium got my max to around 60FPS with an average of 55FPS or so. Of course, it just randomly closed on me, which is a problem.

Also, during cutscenes there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, which is normal. However, at the very bottom there is a single horizontal line of pixels that seems to be showing the scene behind the black bar. Like they just put black bars to try to make it look more cinematic but the lower black bar is 1 line of pixels to short to cover the bottom.

I had CTDs with bad company 2 in catalyst 10.6. I didn't have them with 10.10e, but the game is just bugged like that anyway so it may not necessarily be the drivers.

When I was still using my 4870 1GB I was using these settings which yielded a constant 50-60 fps. Dips to 50 fps resulted only during explosions.

Here were the settings i used:

1920x1200
Level of Detail: High
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Effects Quality: Medium
Anti Aliasing: 2x
Antistropic Filter: 16x
Vsync: On
HBAO: Off
FOV: Default

This is on a 3.4ghz Q6600