4GB Thumb Drive from Newegg $108

more like a hand drive...

the real 4 & 8 GB thumb drives should be out soon!

Affini said:
more like a hand drive...

the real 4 & 8 GB thumb drives should be out soon!

They already are - check Ebay. The 8 giggers are expensive as hell ($250) but the 4 gb thumb drives are reasonable at around $130+.

Edit: Do a Ebay search for "4GB CRUZER" without the quotes. There is a guy on there selling new 4gb thumb drives for just under $100 shipped "buy it now". I just bought one as this is the first time I've seen one sell for under $130 with most selling for more than that ($150-$170). :cool:

hmm thinking bout getting a 1gig one myself but this deal makes me want to jump to 4gig :D

I did that ebay search for 4GB Cruzer and the guy is selling them for 89 bucks.

Seems fishy to me sincve they are going for over 200 regular.

I bit on this one. Good deal. I'd much rather buy here than ebay.

It is a good deal at $100. I might just buy one. It's kinda big but it's better than my 4GB Microdrives.

let us know how those ebay things turn out, i'd definately prefer a 4 gig over a 2 gig

EDIT: Seems to me this would be the only reason not to buy the ones on ebay right now....

http://reviews.cnet.com/SanDisk_Cruzer_Mini_USB_flash_drive_4GB/4505-8897_7-31321747.html

Basically whats the point of having a ton of space on a medium that is intended for instant movage of files....

EDIT2: now that i see i made little sense, let me finish what i was going to say in EDIT1....Because the downfall of this flash device is that its transfer rate is slow, whats the point.

ShepsCrook said:
It is a good deal at $100. I might just buy one. It's kinda big but it's better than my 4GB Microdrives.

with the size of this thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a microdrive inside an enclosure

fbiguy said:
let us know how those ebay things turn out, i'd definately prefer a 4 gig over a 2 gig

EDIT: Seems to me this would be the only reason not to buy the ones on ebay right now....

http://reviews.cnet.com/SanDisk_Cruzer_Mini_USB_flash_drive_4GB/4505-8897_7-31321747.html

Basically whats the point of having a ton of space on a medium that is intended for instant movage of files....

EDIT2: now that i see i made little sense, let me finish what i was going to say in EDIT1....Because the downfall of this flash device is that its transfer rate is slow, whats the point.

I'll let you all know how the Ebay one turns out. I'm using it mainly for a replacement for CDRW's for files that I use regulary (like drivers and programs for new computer builds) and partially as a data backup. It's got to be a hella lot quicker than reading and writing to CDRW's - lol. I've got a smaller MB similar version and it's pretty damn quick on file transfer speeds - but then again it's not a big enough size to do a large file transfer.

Hmmm.. I was about to buy a 1 or 2GB drive. I guess my issue is the read/write speeds - why bother havinng 4GB+ if it takes an 15min to write it all? Make sure the drive you're getting has good r/w performance.

just a heads up I bought a 1GB cruzer/ or sony vault drive from pricegrabber for $89 and I got the sony vault drive sent to me. It was all messed up after putting so many files on it. Like 400megs worth. I then googled and found that a lot of the too good to be true usb drives are actually reformatted and fake. I then got a utility that can redo the drive to its original size and my drive was 128mb. I asked for a refund and got it immediately and for some reason wasn't asked to send the fake sony drive back. So be very careful with those ebay auctions.

Newegg will get in trouble for listing those under Flash memory.
I am fairly certain they are micro hard drive based, hence the size.
Very mechanical and failure prone compared to true flash.

doormat said:
Hmmm.. I was about to buy a 1 or 2GB drive. I guess my issue is the read/write speeds - why bother havinng 4GB+ if it takes an 15min to write it all? Make sure the drive you're getting has good r/w performance.

I agree.

For the price and size, couldn't one just build a 30 gig 2.5" enclosure that did the same thing and is only slightly larger in size (still pocket-sized)?

It just seems that this device is kind of misleading to lable as a thumb drive, unless we're talking about Shaq's thumb.

Back