4GHz OC stable with C-States off, not with it on.

DragonQ

Limp Gawd
So my i7 920 can reach 4GHz with the following settings:

CPU Voltage: 1.25V
QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.25V
C-State Tech: Off
C1E State: Off
Load Line Calibration: On
SpeedStep: On

However, when I turn C-State Tech on, I get a blue screen (STOP 0x00000124, which is usually caused by the QPI/DRAM voltage being too low) within 2 minutes of getting into Windows. I tried ramping up the QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.275V but it made no difference. Could it be the CPU voltage that's too low or do I need to ramp up the QPI/DRAM voltage even more to be able to use C-States?

Are setups are similar at the core, and I have to use 1.31 QPI/DRAM Voltage. So yes, you may have to bump it up to use C-state tech and C1E.

Speaking of which, I did not even think SpeedStep did anything without C1E enabled...

SpeedStep just affects CPU frequency (and maybe voltage), whereas C-States let individual cores enter low-power states. Thanks for the info, I'll try 1.3V when I get the chance.

OK well I've tried a QPI/DRAM Voltage of 1.25V, 1.275V, 1.3V and 1.325V and all cause crashes after less than 5 minutes of playing music and browsing the internet (only when C1E & C-States are enabled).

Any ideas?

try using 1.30 cpu voltage.. see if its stable.. then work your way down from there.. or even start higher then 1.3v and work your way down til its no longer stable.. but thats the only idea that comes to mind if changing the QPI voltage didnt effect it..

OK I can try that but from what I've read 0x00000124 is do to with QPI/DRAM voltage. :/

OK I can try that but from what I've read 0x00000124 is do to with QPI/DRAM voltage. :/
Well, you've already tried higher QPI voltages and that didn't help, so you may as well start trying other things. I agree with sirmonkey that you should try raising your Vcore.

Well I tried 1.3V VCore and 1.3V QPI/DRAM and it still blue screened after 5-10 minutes.

I've given up. I know that my CPU can easily do 4GHz and probably higher but I want C-states enabled in order to have lower power consumption so I'll stick with 3.8-3.9GHz for now. Next year when I won't have to pay for electricity things may change. :p

Back