4U Case vertical positioning

bao__zhe

Weaksauce
I'm planning to buy a NORCO RPC-4224 4U case and wondering if it can be put on the floor vertically?

And if put horizontally, can I stack a desktop case on top of it?

I'm planning to buy a NORCO RPC-4224 4U case and wondering if it can be put on the floor vertically?

And if put horizontally, can I stack a desktop case on top of it?

Yes you can put it vertically if you take off the hears although it doesn't have feet and stuff so may not be super stable. You can put things on top of it but i wouldn't want to stack too much heavy stuff on top of it so it depends on the desktop case you were stacking on it if horizontal.

my 4224 has ears that cant be removed, check which revision the place has before buying if you want to do this.

my 4224 has ears that cant be removed, check which revision the place has before buying if you want to do this.

Oh doh. I was thinking the 4220/4020 not the 4224. That one has the power buttons and USB ports on the ears so yeah vertical is not really going to work.

Uh why not?

Put a 2x6 or 2x8 under the side so the ear doesn't touch the floor.........

Uh why not?

that's what i'm planning to do, if the ear becomes a problem.

I'm more interested in the internal structure of the case tho. how well will it operate, if all HDDs and MB and other accessories are positioned vertically?

I don't have that specific case so take my input as a grain of salt.

As long as you don't load it up with a ton of weight, or don't put a ton of weight on top of it; it should be ok.

Uh why not?

But then stability would be worse. You could maybe make home made U-shaped feet with it, though.

i had 4220 running verticaly for a time, no problems
but be sure you have it leveled, norco has poorly designed backplanes and even more poorly made structure, mild shifts in cases angling will make hotswaping yr drives problematic, several times when i pluged in first drive into backplane its connection slided below hdd ...

about vertical positioning, noone is aftaid about atx cases ... so why think smth might be different with rack case?
if yr worried about ears, put smth under case, like plank or smth
like so:

the picture seems very persuasive:) i guess i'll put it horizontal when hot swapping but keep it vertical when running. some wood will solve the stability issue as i'm not gonna kick it very often;)

thanks for the suggestion!

Back