4x RAID-0 64GB Micro Center Sandforce (Adata S599)

managerman

Limp Gawd
I just built a Monster Sandy Bridge "Beast" Rig....I wanted to run a OCZ Revodrive X2 240, but apparently because of OCZ or ASUS issues the drive will only run at about half speed....each company is pointing the finger the other way....Here is a screenshot of the RevoDrive X2 Atto...

revox2_4xslot_M4E.jpg

So....I removed the Revodrive and used four (4) 64GB Micro Center branded Sandforce drives (only 99 bucks!) They are actually rebadged Adata S599 drives...I updated the firmware to the latest offered by Adata and fired them up in a 4x Raid-0 on the Intel controller...

Wow!! Very impressed....I think I maxed out the Intel Controller....;)

4xSF1222RD_0.jpg

as-ssd-benchSB_Beast21920111-03-49PM.png

-M

Haha very nice, so what are you going to do with all that speed? Please tell me you have a purpose!!! lol

I'm curious did you build the array across both 6gb/s ports and 3gb/s ports? Thanks

This particular RAID-0 setup was only on the 3Gbs ports....I have since replaced that array with two Vertex 3 Max IOPS drives....

Here is the result....:D

as-ssd-benchSB_BeastV3819201110-19-19PM.png

as-ssd-benchSB_BeastV3819201110-19-45PM.png

atto1strun.jpg

Very nice. I originally tried the 2x 120GB Max IOPS route R), but after about a month I paid a SEVERE write speed penalty (almost 1/2 loss) because of no TRIM. I reformatted as a single drive with the second SSD as a mount points as \Program Files (SSD2) and \Program Files (x86SSD2) so I don't have to deal with multiple drive letters, and the speed issues disappeared.

Very nice. I originally tried the 2x 120GB Max IOPS route R), but after about a month I paid a SEVERE write speed penalty (almost 1/2 loss) because of no TRIM. I reformatted as a single drive with the second SSD as a mount points as \Program Files (SSD2) and \Program Files (x86SSD2) so I don't have to deal with multiple drive letters, and the speed issues disappeared.
^^^
??
What exactly does that mean?

If your SSD goes above 50-60% full then you start seeing the slowdown...

Well, normally if you have 2 drives and they are not in RAID, you would have 2 drive letters, C: and D: for example. Junction Points and symbolic links allow you to mount an ntfs object (a drive in this case) and have it appear as just a directory of the other drive. This simplifies things in the future, should you decide to image the entire filesystem to a newer, larger volume with the ability not to have to change the install and just deal with a single volume, and saves a drive letter should you be running low on them.

Last edited:
^^^
??
What exactly does that mean?

If your SSD goes above 50-60% full then you start seeing the slowdown...

No, even with two SSDs in RAID0, since there is no TRIM, slowdown will actually start affecting performance if too many files or read/writes have occurred.

All he did was use a single SSD then as the OS drive, while mounting the second SSD within it to hold all of the apps and programs.

If you still don't understand that, then you need to read up on mounting drives in Windows. ;)

No, even with two SSDs in RAID0, since there is no TRIM, slowdown will actually start affecting performance if too many files or read/writes have occurred.

And that slowdown can happen WAY faster than you would expect, and be exceptionally costly in write speed.

Back