4x80mm fans on a HC

Legion©

Limp Gawd
Gidday

I'm trying to put together some parts for my first WC attempt. I've ripped a copper HC from an old Mitsi Sigma which I think should do the trick nicely. The core itself measures 165x175x70mm which gives me space for 4 80mm fans. The system it's going in is currently way too noisy for my liking with a Silentboost HSF, Enermax dualfan 'whisper' PSU, and 3x80mm case fans (2x front intake, 1x rear out). I need to keep case fans, as the system currently has 5xHDD, and 1 Optical, but I figure without the CPU and GPU throwing heat into the case I should be able to put some SilenX fans in there and still have enough airflow to keep the drives from overheating.

It's all going to have to go into a new case as this one isn't big enough. If it wasn't for the fact that the 5 1/4 bays are very much a part of the case strength I could cut the top 2 away, but I can't :(
I'm planning on mounting the HC to the top of the case with 4x80mm fans using a shroud giving about 10mm seperation from the HC. I haven't started looking at blocks or pumps yet (I'll buy them as I have the money). I'm only thinking about blocks for the CPU and GPU at this stage, and I doubt I'll bother with the northbridge in the future. I don't plan on using a res either as the capacity of the HC is huge compared to what I see most of you guys using here...

My questions are...

What sort of fans should I go with? I'm guessing that with 4 of them and the size of the HC they shouldn't need to be pushing too much air. I need them quiet though. I was looking at the SilenX ones, but if there are some out there that I could turn down so they are silent (or as close to as possible) and still have the extra speed if things heat up during gaming etc.

Which way around is it best to have the fans? I was thinking on the bottom of the HC, pushing the air up and expelling it from the case. Mainly because of the ease of fabricating a shroud to do it that way, and it will help airflow through the case as well. It doesn't normally reach more than about 28c in case temps atm.

Thanks for reading all that, I would give you some pictures, but the digicam is also on my to buy list.

If possible, I would use 120mm fans. Just a suggestion -- alot will recommend such. :)

Yeah, I realise that, but the size and shape of the HC doesn't lend itself to 120mm fans. I would only be able to use 1 per side and would have large areas that were only getting minimal air flow.

Using 4x80mm fans maximises the cooling potential (imho anyhoo) by covering nearly the entire surface of the HC.

So unless you can think of another fan configuration that will allow me to use 120mm fans, it looks like I'm stuck with 80's. (Without getting another HC anyway)

Legion© said:
Yeah, I realise that, but the size and shape of the HC doesn't lend itself to 120mm fans. I would only be able to use 1 per side and would have large areas that were only getting minimal air flow.

Using 4x80mm fans maximises the cooling potential (imho anyhoo) by covering nearly the entire surface of the HC.

So unless you can think of another fan configuration that will allow me to use 120mm fans, it looks like I'm stuck with 80's. (Without getting another HC anyway)

Use a shroud, it's a spacer/adapter that would allow you to pull air through the whole thing using just one 120mm fan.

Back