5.1 digital nightmare

bananaman

n00b
Hi,

I have just upgraded from my Nforce 2 with soundstrom to my new Athlon64 Asus AV8 with optical out. Foolishly i expected the optical out to work as it did with my soundstorm. My lovely Marantz receiver and MordauntShort 5.1 setup seems slightly wasted. I know i can move to analog, but does anyone have any idea of when a soundcard is coming that will enable me to enjoy sound as i did with my soundstorm?

I know soundstorm2 is announced although it remains hidden but are creative or anyone else coming out with anything in the near future???

Thanks

Nana

Nope, just go ananlogue. Or, like I do, use analogue for gaming and digital for movies and music.

hmmm, i think i am going to have to! Just dont see why someone cant produce a card that can do what soundstorm can do!!!

Sound cards seems to be leagues behind when you think of the competition in the CPU and GFX markets

nana

I hate to hijack your thread but I was seriously considering those speakers for the front room
How you like them?

i dont confess to be a super audiophile, but i think they sound damn good and look pretty class as well!

would defintely recommend them!

i have them in beach and fit in woth furniture really well

nana

bananaman said:
hmmm, i think i am going to have to! Just dont see why someone cant produce a card that can do what soundstorm can do!!!

Sound cards seems to be leagues behind when you think of the competition in the CPU and GFX markets

nana

Man and after hearing Sound Storm, I'll keep my Audigy and the Audigy 2 ZS is my main computers #2 & #1 respectively, any day. Sound Storm is an OTP or One Trick Poney and that one trick is it enodes 5.1 on-the-fly. Output is done via Real Tech AC97 Codecs.

I don't know anyone who's compared SS vs. Audigy2/2 ZS and came away thinking SS sounded better=P Many of my Buds dumpped SS and went with either Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS.

I must admit, I have friends who hate Creative and wouldn't use them if they were free. Then there are others who don't read instructions, then base wide and wild opinions from a poor set up. Yet others who get bad info from others who never tounched an Audigy of any kind. Sure Creative is easy to hate, I've been through a AWE-64 MX-300, SQ-2500, TB Santa Cruz and only had a SBLive in a back up computer. I tried and Audigy 1 and thought the TB/SC still sounded better. I didn't drop the rest until the Audigy 2 launched and so no need to buy anything else short of a M-Audio or Terratec but they can't do EAX 3 or 4.

DRM was about to catch up with SS anyway.

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
Output is done via Real Tech AC97 Codecs.

correct me if i am wrong but if it is via an optical out then doesn't it bypass those the realtech codecs?

and what is DRM???

Nana

Yes it's done via Bypass. When the DRM (Digital Rights Management) folks first saw this, they went nutz! They wanted blocks or etc...... Creative couldn't get THX certified if they did a full bypass the same way.

Even 5.1 encoding needs a 5.1 source like six inputs or 6 MicroPhones.

Donnie

Back