5.1 Headphones.

T-nm

Limp Gawd
I know there are 5.1 headphones with 3 connectors for the sound card, that's cool.
But for the USB ones, they all have an integrated sound card or they redirect the sound of the sound card in the headphones? Because if they use their own sound card, that sucks, they won't be using my sound card's super eax advance hd effects lol.
So?

Or how about don't get ANY. I assume that you have some flavor of Audigy 2 soundcard if you are worried about bypassing your EAX Advanced HD effects. It has built-in virtual surround sound, which when paired with a decent set of regular headphones, will sound better than "5.1" headphones.

Download the RightMark3D audio benchmarking tool.

http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

Go to your EAX control panel and enable CMSS1.

Select the headphones setting in the Creative speaker setup control panel.

After installing RightMark run the 3D sound test with regular headphones and various sound samples (especially the gunshot sound).
Edit: Make sure RightMark is configured to use DirectSound3D Hardware (not DirectSound3D Software).

You will notice that the soundcard can create the sensation of sounds coming from ANY direction (front, back, left, right, etc.)

Think about it for a sec.
Can your sound card send a audio stream to something that is not connected directly to it?
Nope. ;)

Yeah it will not use your soundcard, and for the most part it is rule of thumb to stay away from 5.1 headphones. It is all a gimmick.

Hahaha, ok thx.
And I wanted 5.1 headphones because to hear footsteps, I need to crank my 251 altec lansing very high, a bit too high, and my friend made me try his Zalman (which everyone says it sucks) and I really liked it.

T-nm said:
Hahaha, ok thx.
And I wanted 5.1 headphones because to hear footsteps, I need to crank my 251 altec lansing very high, a bit too high, and my friend made me try his Zalman (which everyone says it sucks) and I really liked it.

Time to go to your local hi-fi dealer and try out some of their gear. :)

the zalman 5.1's are the worst headphones I've ever wasted good money on...they rival the free earphones that come with super cheap cd players....Complete waste of money - try some sennheisers instead...

Maybe the forum should have a sticky thread/FAQ at the top with the title:
"Why you should not buy 5.1 headphones..."

Back