5.1 System Recommendation

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I was going to pick up the Vizio 5.1 soundbar with Bluetooth subwoofer and rear speakers. But I found out my Panasonic plasma does not output 5.1 from the optical connection, so I'm back to square one.

• 5.1 system that has at least 4 HDMI inputs, maybe a couple component inputs, and one HDMI output to the TV.
  • Something that either has a multi-function remote (to use cable box and TV with it) or one that can be programed to use with my existing multi-function cable remote. (I want to eliminate remotes if possible).
  • Wireless rear speakers (only requiring power) if possible, but if not I'm fine with wires.
  • No need an integrated Bluray/DVD player
  • Most affordable system that meets my requirements. No need for extras.

If you want to stick with a soundbar the Sony HT-CT660/C is a pretty good option with hdmi switching. Granted it is not 5.1 speakers but the reviews are pretty nice. Also refurb deals pop up for $180
It may be worth checking out.

Suppose I could grab something like this and just deal with the extra remote until I get a TV that supports 5.1 output. Would allow me to have the soundbar and wireless speakers I want.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

But man, I've found some decent priced head units between 300-500, but finding one with a programmable remote that actually has a cable guide button is like a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Any reason why the 5.1 audio TV output is an issue? The only real use I can think of for it is moving SmartTV audio to an AVR (or if you're feeding devices from your TV inputs to a sound bar etc - which limits you to 5.1 DD/DTS and 2.0 LCPM). Are you interested in HD audio (blu ray)? A cheap 5.1 AVR + speakers of your choice would be ideal. Wireless speakers are typically crap as for quality unless you dish out a lot of money, and even the high end ones are inferior to many wired options.

Any reason why the 5.1 audio TV output is an issue?
My TV's manual states that optical output by any input other than RF is converted to 2.0 channel. I would only receive 5.1 over optical if I were using an antenna (connected to RF). My cable box and game systems connect to the TV via HDMI.

I've done some reading online and apparently this is an issue for a lot of brand TV's. Panasonic being one that does not output 5.1 from HDMI input.

My TV's manual states that optical output by any input other than RF is converted to 2.0 channel. I would only receive 5.1 over optical if I were using an antenna (connected to RF). My cable box and game systems connect to the TV via HDMI.

I've done some reading online and apparently this is an issue for a lot of brand TV's. Panasonic being one that does not output 5.1 from HDMI input.

Yep, and my guess is that it's caused by HDCP standards or licensing with DD/DTS; that is normal from my understanding. As both of us have mentioned in our statements, optical out from the TV is really only good for 5.1 from ATSC/QAM RF, or from certain SmartTV applications like Netflix. You need a good soundbar with plenty of HDMI inputs, or a lower end 5.1 AVR (there should be Denon & Onkyo models in the $150-300 range that would work fine).

Connect all of your sources to the soundbar/AVR, and connect the bar/AVR unit to your TV via a single HDMI cable which will give you access to however many decoders and audio channels your receiver is capable of. If you have any OTA RF feeds on your TV or use Smart Apps, you can then run an optical cable from your TV to the receiver for 5.1.

Back