50% off H&R Block At Home Tax Software

Amazon.com takes 50% off a selection of H&R Block At Home tax software for Windows.
Inluding H&R Block At Home 2010 Deluxe Federal + State + E-File Tax Preparation Software (CD-ROM) for $22.49.

Meh... most people get their taxes done $0, no bs free on Intuit's popular #1 tax site, turbotax.com. If you need all that extra federal and state crap for your business taxes than this isn't bad I suppose. But millions of people can just get theirs done for free like the past 3 years I've done mine... its so easy on turbotax.com for free, that using H&R block stores and such seems like a ripoff these days :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Meh... most people get their taxes done $0, no bs free on Intuit's popular #1 tax site, turbotax.com. If you need all that extra federal and state crap for your business taxes than this isn't bad I suppose. But millions of people can just get theirs done for free like the past 3 years I've done mine... its so easy on turbotax.com for free, that using H&R block stores and such seems like a ripoff these days :p

e-filing state returns are usually not free. The version with fed and state e-file isn't that bad of a deal since state e file is $29.99 by itself.

That's a pretty general statement. If you have a very simple tax return than the software or online is fine, but if you get anything complex its best to seek out a tax professional because the tax code is very complex and chances are you will miss something.

a tax professional will almost always come up with enough savings to justify their cost....
This year he needs to find me an extra $400-$500 for a sandy bridge, mobo and some new memory!

If you're that frugal, the state usually has many organizations that will do it free for you. Unless you're in a very high tax bracket. Only bad thing is, I had to go into the place to have them do it.

Both Turbo Tax and H&R Block have the same business model. Its only free for the 1040EZ. That isn't going to be good enough for people with real deductions, stocks, or additional income sources.

FYI, I believe H&R block is sending out copies to past customers. It says it only cost $14.95 to use the deluxe version.

I've always ignored the mailings because in the past years, their mailing price is always the MSRP anyways. It was typically cheaper for me to buy from retailer instead.

That was 7 years ago, it was a fiasco and they haven't done it in a long time, and besides what else is there? Pay an accountant? Haha yeah, you do that. When I'm rich maybe I will, too.
If you itemize your deductions, have children, have your own business, or any other tax situation other than W-2 Wages, interest income, and the standard deduction paying an accountant will more than pay for itself. The cost for preparation of an average return (investment income, itemized deductions, child credits, education credits) is going to be around $200-300 at a small to medium sized CPA firm. The expertise a skilled professional has will ensure that your return is done right.

If you have a simple return than by all means save yourself the money and use the software or online options.

Everytime I've compared turbotax to H&R Block's software, the latter has gotten me a bigger return. The first time i did the comparison, with TT I owed 200-300. With HR, I got over $100 back.

With that said, I got a copy of HR blocks federal software for free this year...however, it doesn't cover state filing. I'll may just fill out the state form by hand....just depends how much the software costs (I missed this deal).

Hmm... I've been using TurboTax for the past 3 years and haven't tried H&R Block yet. TurboTax doesn't charge you until you submit the files. Can H&R Block do the same? I'm curious which is going to offer me a bigger return so I just might use both and submit whichever gets me more monies.

Hmm... I've been using TurboTax for the past 3 years and haven't tried H&R Block yet. TurboTax doesn't charge you until you submit the files. Can H&R Block do the same? I'm curious which is going to offer me a bigger return so I just might use both and submit whichever gets me more monies.

yes. That's how I did the comparison. I think originally, I used the website for each. YMMV. I've seen reviews that conclude that TT is better.

my dad is an MBA/CPA and uses turbotax every year as a basis for his own tax return. Of course he goes over it manually afterward you cannot trust something as important as a tax return entirely to a piece of software.

Got mine via SlickDeals for one cent (federal and state). Sale was yesterday. I would've posted here but the forums were down for me.

Got mine via SlickDeals for one cent (federal and state). Sale was yesterday. I would've posted here but the forums were down for me.

Ouch, I just paid $34 for fed/state/efile yesterday as an Amazon download.

In for this one, got Winzip 11 Pro + the HR Block State/Federal for only 99 cents. Brilliant!

Yep, seems to work just fine. For those wondering ca.com is CA Technologies, formerly Computer Associates. It's a large, and very legit, company. Now I'm sure they are running something where they want to auto-enroll you for renewals to their software. Personally I used a one-time credit card number (ShopSafe) to make sure that doesn't happen. However Winzip doesn't seem to add any renewal when you log in to your account.

Not sure what the deal is but if they want to give away Tax Cut, well who am I to argue? :).

My advice would be to take advantage of the deal soon before they change their mind, use a one-time card and make sure to check your account (just go to shop.ca.com to log in) to cancel any subscriptions, but not to worry about fraud. CA is legit.

Why the hell would you use a 1-time credit card? CA is a giant (12b in assets, 4.4b revenue in 2010) and when you use an actual credit card (as opposed to a bank issued debit card) you are covered for practically everything. They only auto renew on CA products if you do not opt out, which H&R and Winzip are not, and if these clowns try anything whatsoever with my cc info I'll do the same thing I've done every time a company has tried to jerk me around. 10 minute call to VISA removes the charge every time and puts the onus to prove you agreed to the cc charge on the party that made the charge. Plus, they get fined by VISA for every chargeback... I forget how much, I think she said 20 dollars. I once asked VISA during one of these calls what I should do if a vendor tried to charge me again after VISA reversed it. They told me to call back as many times as necessary and they would do it as many times as necessary. Of course this only works when you have the facts on your side, but in my experience when you do, it always works.

I have successfully reversed 7 charges on my VISA since 2004, each with a 10 minute phone call, two of them were because of false auto-renewals after I had canceled, and I never heard anything about any of them ever again. One time I spent 75 bucks at a European online vendor who I thought had scammed me after ignoring my emails and not delivering the item for over 2 months so I reversed the charge. After I reversed it, they contacted me almost immediately to complain about the reversal but they not only didn't try to contest the reversal, they offered to give me a credit for future purchases.

I hate credit cards for numerous reasons, but consumer protection on purchases is by far their most significant advantage. Nobody wants to fuck around with VISA.

Why the hell would you use a 1-time credit card?

Because it is easy. If your bank supports it as mine does, you go online and specify you wish a new number with a given amount and a short length (2 months is default). Makes sure that if the company does try to do an auto-renew, it can't happen as the card has expired. No hassle, no problems.

Because it is easy. If your bank supports it as mine does, you go online and specify you wish a new number with a given amount and a short length (2 months is default). Makes sure that if the company does try to do an auto-renew, it can't happen as the card has expired. No hassle, no problems.

Using your existing credit card with no personal risk is pretty damned easy... plus you aren't at risk from VISA screwing you with the fine print. There's been a ton of articles and rantings lately about the horrible things issuers been doing to people using pre-paid and temporary credit cards, in fact auto-renew was explicitly mentioned in the article I remember from a few weeks ago -- apparently these cards can actually be used even when expired or with a negative balance and VISA comes after you in these cases because you agreed to the fine print.

VISA might be the devil, but better to have the devil in your corner imo... just make sure to keep it as simple as possible and read every bit of fine print.

Aaaaaaaaand it looks like it is dead. The H&R block item is still there, but the others have been deactivated. Looks like you have to purchase a more expensive item to get it now. So if you were buying one of CA's products anyhow, it would still be a good deal but otherwise, it is dead. :/

I've been using H&R Block (TaxCut) since the incredibly stupid Intuit "copy protection fiasco of 2003" and I dumped Intuit. Hell, I can't even remember the name :)

So that's TaxCut for what, 7 years or so? They've never showed me any real love. The mailers I get are pretty much list price.

Deals like this are what I look for. Mine came in Friday :)

FYI, I believe H&R block is sending out copies to past customers. It says it only cost $14.95 to use the deluxe version.

The link I followed on slick deals goes to a page that has At Home Deluxe for free. That's identical to what H&R Block sent me. it doesn't cover state. For free, it's worth downloading, but I'd keep looking for a better deal that includes state (unless you live in a state without income tax or there's a free way to do it, or state taxes are relatively easy to do. the last several times I've filed state taxes, i still had to mail everything in. There was no state efile.

Back