500-700 dollar build

Jospeh

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to upgrade my computer and pass my old one down to family member. My budget is a little bit flexible I have 500 and can convince them to spend a bit. So if something is a big upgrade and goes over budget that's okay. I use my computer for gaming/programming/ect.. Nothing really special that needs a lot of power except gaming.

EDIT: New budget is 600-800 or so.

I need:
Case
PSU
Small SSD (mostly for OS)
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Monitor (I cant pass my computer down with no monitor attached to it)
Graphics Card(Maybe. I have a Radeon 7870. not sure if I want to pass it down but if I can get a decent upgrade then yes)

I don't need:
storage hard drive
OS
KB/Mouse

I might be overclocking.

I live in the US near a microcenter

I'm using a 24" monitor

Last edited:
How long is the drive to that Microcenter? Unfortunately, the MC deals are no longer as good as they once were in the past so you'd have to be really close by in order to justify the trip.

How long is the drive to that Microcenter? Unfortunately, the MC deals are no longer as good as they once were in the past so you'd have to be really close by in order to justify the trip.

about 5 minutes :p

Yep. I noticed the price increase on CPU and Mobo bundles shortly after I made my last purchase back in May. BLAH!

about 5 minutes :p

Cool. Well $500 is unfortunately a very unrealistic budget for a system like this unless you're willing to cut down on both performance and quality. But I was still able to keep it at under $700:
$160 - Intel Core i5 4590 CPU from Microcenter
$80 - ASRock H97M Pro4 Intel H97 mATX Motherboard
$39 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$80 - Crucial BX100 250GB SSD
$130 - Acer S241HLbmid Black 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor
$52 - XFX TS Series 550W PSU
$70 - Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Case
----
Total: $613 shipped.

Leaves you plenty of room for tax. Unfortunately, it means that you'll have to stick with your 7870 for the time being.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You probably want to step up to the Crucial MX200,

You might want to check out something refurb regarding the monitor
HP EliteDisplay E231i 23 inch IPS LED Backlit Rfrbd Monitor - 159$ over at HP
Dell Refurbished 22 Monitor - P2213 - 135 @ Dell

How much of a boost is Skylake? With the motherboard/cpu combo at microcenter it will be like 320$ or so for 6600k + motherboard. I think I will stretch the budget out to add another 100$ to it. It seems like 500-700 may be cutting corners a bit too much. Thanks for the info so far.

Back