$500 PS3 vs $600 PS3

Molingrad

Gawd
From what i understand Sony has put in HDMI connection for the "core" PS3. If thats the case other than the bigger hard drive, built in wireless and memory card reader what does the more expensive PS3 have over the cheaper one?

I ask because i dont understand why one would pay for the more expensive one when you could pop in a bigger hard drive into the smaller one getting you 60+ gig's, wireless isnt that necessary (how much will i move this thing?) also why do i need a multi memory card reader when i have the hard drive to save to?

I think it's pretty much as you put it. If you have no reason to get all the extras, don't bother. You may find though what with saved games, anything ripped, downloaded demos, trailers, etc, that you'll fill up the 20gb fairly quickly.

Wireless is necessary for some people (such as myself) because running a CAT5 cable across a few rooms is not an appealing solution.

dotK said:
Wireless is necessary for some people (such as myself) because running a CAT5 cable across a few rooms is not an appealing solution.
Drill some holes. :p

If it weren't for the lack of a card reader and wireless, the 20gb PS3 would be OK - you could always just upgrade the hard drive. Makes you kinda wish for the ~$550 "wireless+cardreader, no hard drive" version.

erwos said:
If it weren't for the lack of a card reader and wireless, the 20gb PS3 would be OK - you could always just upgrade the hard drive. Makes you kinda wish for the ~$550 "wireless+cardreader, no hard drive" version.

QFT...wireless is the dealbreaker for me.

As I've said before, Sony should just nix the $600 version and put wifi into the $500 version and have a card reader add-on.

Unless you absolutely have to have wireless, I don't see any reason to get the $600 version. The smaller hard drive isn't really an issue because you can plug any USB HD right in, which means you can take that $100 that you would have spent on the Higher PS3 to get 60 gigs and instead buy a 160 GB USB HDD.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
As I've said before, Sony should just nix the $600 version and put wifi into the $500 version and have a card reader add-on.
you don't understand that sony wants you NOT to buy the 20GB version, because they lose less money on it. ever wonder why we saw 60GB consoles at launch in a ratio of about 5:1 compared to 20GB?

As I understand it the WireLess will be required to do some of the PSP integration stuff later on, so that could be a big bonus. Also, the card reader lets you save game files to any memory card, then move them over if you are playing at a friend's house and you wanted to load your Madden team, unlocked fighting game characters, etc.

I wouldn't pay that much for wireless.

I bet eventually if someone hasn't already done it you can make the PS3 wireless via the mini-USB ports and a USB wireless drive or something like that.
I mean $100 bucks is quite a bit for 3 items you can add on for $50 dollars total later on.

I saw an easy do it yourself article on replacing the HD with any 2.5" Sata HD. It booted up fine and displayed the correct # of gigs (minus the space allocated to ps3 saves and info).

It'd probably void the warranty though.

UnlimitedMP said:
I saw an easy do it yourself article on replacing the HD with any 2.5" Sata HD. It booted up fine and displayed the correct # of gigs (minus the space allocated to ps3 saves and info).

It'd probably void the warranty though.

I doubt it voids the warranty as Sony tells you how to do it right in the PS3 manual.

You can also plug in a USB flash card reader too. Hell, I just use my usb jump drive instead. Plugging in a wi-fi usb adapter I'm not sure though, and perhaps the PSP can be connected using a usb cable?

But my house is hardwired for LAN, so actually I may not need wireless at all.

The 20GB can work just like a 60 gig with some minor accessories. You can stick a new HD in there. Get a wireless connection to it and get a USB card reader. All for under $100.

But honestly I wouldnt recommend wireless gaming to anyone. Thats just asking for dropped signals and spikes. Any true gamer plays wired.

IcedEmotion said:
I doubt it voids the warranty as Sony tells you how to do it right in the PS3 manual.

Oh cool. I'm surprised that Sony would do such a thing.

Id buy the 500 dollar package except that it has no wireless, so that is the deal breaker. My router is downstairs, and I am upstairs, no way im drilling through the ceiling

Goran said:
The 20GB can work just like a 60 gig with some minor accessories. You can stick a new HD in there. Get a wireless connection to it and get a USB card reader. All for under $100.

But honestly I wouldnt recommend wireless gaming to anyone. Thats just asking for dropped signals and spikes. Any true gamer plays wired.

Even if you can get a wireless USB adapter (which I am not sure if you can or can't) and then you get an external card reader, and buy the 60 gb hard drive, you are getting pretty damn close, if not above $100, you have a bunch of boxes instead of one, and you have tied of two USB ports. An all in one solution with all the features for just $100 more seems like the smarter option to me.

Has the PS3 been confirmed to work with USB wireless adapters? You would need drivers for them to work and it's a big assumption if you think the PS3 will be plug and play with them.

Psychotext said:
Beware, that'a not a laptop drive so you need to lose the side plate and get some cable or make a pretty little port setup. :)

so who wouldn't want a modded ps3 with a 320gb hdd?

tisb0b said:
so who wouldn't want a modded ps3 with a 320gb hdd?
I'd personally love to make a little port arrangement... but that wasn't my point. It's fair to warn people that you can't just slap a 320gb drive in the side of the thing.

Back