500gb for 189.99

haha, hes gonna get pwned for that one....

anyway, good price... for an xbox hard drive, lol

newegg has sata 3g, 16mb 500gb for 226 shipped after MIR

odd, they emailed me this a couple days ago, but it must not have been in stock yet.

Do these have the five year warranty?

pixo said:
i dont get owned! whats a PATA!? lol

Paralel ATA.....AKA old school grey cable that most pc's still use. SATA's are much faster and are the next gen hard drives for gamers who don't shell out tons of cash for crappy SCSI configurations.

pixo said:
i dont get owned! whats a PATA!? lol

In the old days, we just called them ATA and/or IDE drives. I like the latter, because it's impossible to confuse it with SATA.

lol, why don't you just say IDE when someone wants to know what PATA is

you guys act like it's some ancient archane technology used by the egypts before thier mysterious disapearance

there is a deal for outpost on here for a 400GB PATA for $99...I wouldn't pay $89.99 for an extra 100GBs, IMO its not worth it. You could get 800GBs (2x 400GB) for $199 so that's why I say that...

You can always pick up a few PATA/SATA adapters for $15/ea...

MATTRESS said:
you guys act like it's some ancient archane technology used by the egypts before thier mysterious disapearance

umm...the egyptians didn't mysteriously disappear...

MATTRESS said:
lol, why don't you just say IDE when someone wants to know what PATA is

Weren't the floppy cables also considered paralel? (not sure if they were also ever considered IDE) That might be why.

It feels like SATA is old school to me... but man, PATA is anchient. LoL... I just can't buy them anymore. It's like wanting to buy a first Gen P4.

you guys forget.. most of the world's computers still use PATA. And no.. they aren't any slower than SATA drives with everyday usage. Only their burst rates are higher.

But yeah.. SATA is the right way to go with NCQ and a serial interface instead of an 80 pin parallel one.

ok, i'm not a big fan of gaming consoles like the xbox and such, but i keep hearing people say they put larger HD's and such into one... What about the OS? is the OS for the Xbox on a rom chip or something of that sorts? And what would be the benefit of this?

The xbox initially has a 10 gig 5400 rpm drive, yes a 7200rpm drive would be hotter, but it isn't a problem in mine or the 20 others I have built. You use a mod chip to stick your own BIOS on and allow you to unlock your hard drive and use bigger capacities (up to 250). When you do this you load up a custom dashboard, this is similar to running any flavor of linux, they all have advantages and disadvantages, just pick the one that does what you want. I use XBMC which is a very good media player. You can also run Xbox Linux, OSX, and some other random stuff.

Back