500GB WD HDD $160 no Rebate @ BB

Man thats a SMOKIN' Deal!! If I didnt bite on that 400GB Deal a couple of weeks ago I would be all over this.

I'd be all over it except for the fact it's only a 1 year warranty

Well i don;t want to thread crapping. Nice deal who are looking for 500GB other wise i think 400GB for $99 is alot better, because for only some more dollars you can have 800GB for the price of 500GB.

Gonna see how much the exteneded warrenty's are. If there resonable im gonna pick up 2 and mirrior them.

Nice find... :)

annaconda said:
Well i don;t want to thread crapping. Nice deal who are looking for 500GB other wise i think 400GB for $99 is alot better, because for only some more dollars you can have 800GB for the price of 500GB.
That is a pata drive. I need a sata.

mrderp said:
I'd be all over it except for the fact it's only a 1 year warranty

If you could get the 3yr warranty for 170 (as I did off a month or so back), I'd agree, but if you think an extra 2 year warranty is worth the 30 or 40 you're likely to spend online, then you must be on of those suckers that buys extended warranties.

In 16 years of owning computers, I've had one drive die. It was a maxtor with a one year warranty, and it started going bad within 6months

If I paid an extra 30/drive for a longer warranty over that time, hundreds extra on drives and gotten nothing in return.

This deal is SMOKING folks. If I didn't own one already, I'd buy it, and I try not to ever buy anything from best buy.

remember about those 30% coupons. if you can swing it, it'll be ~111+tax

some have reported getting this to work on internal drives. the final price would become just $112.

nilepez said:
If you could get the 3yr warranty for 170 (as I did off a month or so back), I'd agree, but if you think an extra 2 year warranty is worth the 30 or 40 you're likely to spend online, then you must be on of those suckers that buys extended warranties.

In 16 years of owning computers, I've had one drive die. It was a maxtor with a one year warranty, and it started going bad within 6months

If I paid an extra 30/drive for a longer warranty over that time, hundreds extra on drives and gotten nothing in return.

This deal is SMOKING folks. If I didn't own one already, I'd buy it, and I try not to ever buy anything from best buy.
I myself almost always buy extended warrenty's. Why? I have the worst luck with my electronics. I take really good care of them but something always seems to happen. I've almost always recieved a brand new product or full price of what I payed. Works for me. Guess I had bad luck when it comes to this stuff... :(

my god, i dont see how you guys use up that much space! I mean, i barely use up 30 gigs!

I have 2 gigs of music, 10 gigs of games, and the rest is the OS and apps. nope, no videos.

WD charges you 14.95 for the extra 2 years of warranty. Depending on how much tax your state has or shipping charges + tax.. It might be cheaper just to buy it online and get the 3 years included. Newegg has it for 189 with free shipping. and that includes the 3 year warranty.

jcll2002 said:
my god, i dont see how you guys use up that much space! I mean, i barely use up 30 gigs!

I have 2 gigs of music, 10 gigs of games, and the rest is the OS and apps. nope, no videos.
lol thats why. No video's. I keep my entire kids Disney collection on the drives. There disc's get used from dinner plates to frisby's. O lets not forget the good ol boomerang... ;)

lopies said:
That is a pata drive. I need a sata.

EDIT: DOH!! its OOS I'm sorry.

400gb sata with a 5 year warranty too :) for 109.00 AND the second link is a rebate form which equates to 26 dollars. So if my math is right it ends up 84 bux. 2 of these is 800gb at 164 dollars, and is probably actually less than this 500 because you have to pay taxes where a lot of us won't from outpost. At least I didn't have to.

http://shop4.outpost.com/{R3-sVJO8-...PSZcPx3eQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://upload.ohshare.com/v/5759780/seagatetour2.pdf.html

defuseme2k said:
EDIT: DOH!! its OOS I'm sorry.

400gb sata with a 5 year warranty too :) for 109.00 AND the second link is a rebate form which equates to 26 dollars. So if my math is right it ends up 84 bux. 2 of these is 800gb at 164 dollars, and is probably actually less than this 500 because you have to pay taxes where a lot of us won't from outpost. At least I didn't have to.

http://shop4.outpost.com/{R3-sVJO8-...PSZcPx3eQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://upload.ohshare.com/v/5759780/seagatetour2.pdf.html
Another nice find and with a rebate. Gonna order 2 of them today.

Thanks again... :)

If there's no best buy near you, or the HD is out of stock there, goto a place which will price-match (e.g. Staples w/ their 110% policy) and you can get another $15-$20 bucks off the price.

heck, even if there is a bestbuy just go straight to staples with the Price match! :D

jcll2002 said:

I have 28 gigs in music files (ogg codec) alone. Then there are the countless U2 boots that I haven't manged to burn to CD or DVD. Eventually, I think I'll move all my FLACed CDs (120GB or more) back onto my HD (though I'll still keep a copy backed up).

has anyone gotten a 30% coupon to work on this? I think I might try it if it works 112+14.95 for the additional 2 years warranty is really good.

Coupon didn't work for me. They scanned it in twice and didn't apply. You might be able to talk them into manually deducting the coupon but my store said it didn't apply to the drives.

The coupons do not apply to sale items. That's not to say you couldnt convince a manager to do it though.

Stuey83 said:
If there's no best buy near you, or the HD is out of stock there, goto a place which will price-match (e.g. Staples w/ their 110% policy) and you can get another $15-$20 bucks off the price.

jcll2002 said:
heck, even if there is a bestbuy just go straight to staples with the Price match! :D

the problem with this is at least around here most stores will call and ask not only about the price, but if it is in stock. In other words, if fry's has a seagate 500GB for $100 no rebate, then when getting best buy (or staples, circut city, etc) to PM they will call fry's to not only confirm the price (checking to see if the ad you are showing them is a misprint or bullshit you printed out on your inkjet), but they will ask if it is currently in stock. If it is not, then whoever is doing the PM will tell you you are SOL. :eek:

topcat989 said:
the problem with this is at least around here most stores will call and ask not only about the price, but if it is in stock. In other words, if fry's has a seagate 500GB for $100 no rebate, then when getting best buy (or staples, circut city, etc) to PM they will call fry's to not only confirm the price (checking to see if the ad you are showing them is a misprint or bullshit you printed out on your inkjet), but they will ask if it is currently in stock. If it is not, then whoever is doing the PM will tell you you are SOL. :eek:

Well that, and Best Buy has a habit of finding reasons not to match Fry's.

I went with seagate after all. There completly out of stock in my area. I was lucky enough to pick up the last 2 25 min away from house. These drives along with my raptors sould round out my system very well.

jcll2002 said:

Currently the file server has 600+ gigs half full of media files. Once you start ripping DVDs so you don't have to mess around with the disks to watch something the drive space gets eaten up quickly. Next time the server gets rebuilt it's going to be least a terabyte of drive space.

Box sets from TV shows tend to kill it the fastest - Band of Brothers alone took something like 7gigs.

Kido1986 said:
This is a killer deal. Retail boxed 16mb cache Western Digital SATA 500GB drive for $160 out the door... I think Im gonna go get one.
Its in this weeks Sunday Ad but heres the link to the item.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7821967&type=product&id=1142294266760&ref=10&loc=01

well just as a note my drive lost its format? ( i unplugged usb during boot up) so i opened it up (to use as internal) and its a wd500ys , and it looks to have different specs then the wd500ks

Got mine just now.....One left at the Richfield location in MN.

tried a few best buys in NJ they either sold out and the one that had it didn't honor the 30% off. oh well.

KENNYB said:
The coupons do not apply to sale items. That's not to say you couldnt convince a manager to do it though.

I bought two with a coupon on each, no convincing required, just rolled in and handed them the coupon. $120 after tax Click me

Back